Thread: Mini Rifle

Mini Rifle

Just wonderd if anyone on here dose Mini Rifle? My son is expressing in interest in having a go. I wouldn't mind a go myself, execpet I don't think hobbling around a stage with a stick in one hand a nd a rifle in the other is a starter. I have been thinking about getting one of the Remington 597VTR's as a bit of a fun gun, as I could use it for LSR as well. I have the chance of the Remington at a very good price if I want it.
    I was also wondering where the nearest place to me was that runs Mini Rifle events?

Thanks

Alan

Hi Al .

A ruger 10/22 is the only way to go for mini rifle you will need a pair of 25 round mags , a choate pistol grip stock and a red dot sight , a short barrel with a muzzle break and tricked up inards .
    Dont know who does it up your way , try contacting UKPSA .
    Its not all about shooting with stage props , thats fine for comps , but practice nights is about developing speed and accuracy and finding the balance between the two . Like any discipline learning gun handling and safety is important , shooting week shoulder , sitting , prone and on the move are all part of the fun , as is working out the most economocal way to move around the course also helps . A very slick reliable rifle is a must , the benefit of a 10/22 is all the mods are easily available , contact ar15 on here for parts .
    http://www.minirifle.co.uk/frames/fhome.htm

You can get some info from this site , Iam in one of the videos [ Early days of mini rifle ]with the green trap vest .

Dave

Hello folks, are there clubs running open comps or is Mini rifle a UKPSA thing?

You can use .22 semi autos for Lightweight Sporting Rifle (a discipline governed by the NSRA), and for Gallery Rifle (governed by NRA) in addition to the UKPSA bits.

Ruger 10/22 is a very common option, although if you mention it in more than a whisper you'll immediately get fanboys pouring in either slating them for poor reliability, or swearing that theirs has never misfed. Ever.

The truth is somewhere in the middle, and you probably will want to tweak the trigger and suchlike - which is where the 10/22 comes into it's own compared to other options like Browning Buckmarks and Remingtons - there are absolutely epic quantities of 3rd-party options for 10/22s - stocks, trigger kits, hammer kits, match barrels, etc. South Yorkshire Shooting Supplies (amongst others) make their own actions - so you can buy an entire 10/22 wthout a single Ruger part in it!

Obviously LSR and GR are run by NSRA/NRA affiliated clubs - look at the clubfinders on their websites for ones in your area (also e-mail them for lists if there isn't an obvious one near you. Not all clubs give permission to have their details published online, so the clubfinders are not complete and unabridged).

American NRA-style Mini rifle is not something I've really come across in the UK. No doubt it does go on, but it'll be individuals at a club getting hold of US targets and doing it themselves. AFAIK there is no organised "Mini-rifle" league, or competition circuit.

EDIT: Ah, just found this. I'd hazard a guess that any organised mini-rifle events will be run by Practical Shooting clubs, so start with UKPSA, and NRA clubs that do lots of GR rather than target rifle. They'll likely be the ones who do mini-rifle when they're not doing Gallery Rifle or Practical Shooting.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

HPC was the biggest club in the UK for Mini Rifle they havent actively run any matches for several years now . Although they still meet each week for a club night .
    Years ago when we were at the the Marconi range we ran 3 UKPSA sanctioned matches a year which was a lot of hard work .

One of the restrictions for most clubs in doing MM was the insurance as you werent allowed to move forward of the firing line and shoot on the move .

Dave

Thanks for the replies gents. The main reason for looking at the Remington 597VTR is that it is the new limited edition rifle, as they seem to have decided not to continue production past the first batch of 500 guns. It is built aroung using mostly standard AR15 parts, butt, pistol grip, fore end, ect, using a 597 action. Short of spending £1k on a Spikes or similar looks one of the better built options for a tactial style .22lr, espcially at the price I can get it for. As for the debate over Ruger Vs Others, All the stock 597's that I have seen or used personaly have shot better out of the box than the basic 10-22. Custom jobs well with the money spent on those they really should work shouldn't they. I have had a SYSS custom 10-22 in the past, but when my club stopped our Skittles shoots, I didn't have a compelling enough reason to keep it. Oh and the record time for our skittle shoot was held by someone shooting a standard synthetic 597. Six skittles 5 rounds per mag, so a compusory mag change to make thing interesting.

I was planning on mostly just using it for a bit of LSR and GRSB at my local club. My son has seen some articles about Mini Rifle and wanted to try it out.

Alan