Thanks for the replies gents. The main reason for looking at the Remington 597VTR is that it is the new limited edition rifle, as they seem to have decided not to continue production past the first batch of 500 guns. It is built aroung using mostly standard AR15 parts, butt, pistol grip, fore end, ect, using a 597 action. Short of spending £1k on a Spikes or similar looks one of the better built options for a tactial style .22lr, espcially at the price I can get it for. As for the debate over Ruger Vs Others, All the stock 597's that I have seen or used personaly have shot better out of the box than the basic 10-22. Custom jobs well with the money spent on those they really should work shouldn't they. I have had a SYSS custom 10-22 in the past, but when my club stopped our Skittles shoots, I didn't have a compelling enough reason to keep it. Oh and the record time for our skittle shoot was held by someone shooting a standard synthetic 597. Six skittles 5 rounds per mag, so a compusory mag change to make thing interesting.

I was planning on mostly just using it for a bit of LSR and GRSB at my local club. My son has seen some articles about Mini Rifle and wanted to try it out.

Alan