Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original model 6

Talking Original model 6

Hi all just bought an immaculate one of these from a bbs member, does anyone know if you can date them from the serial number. If anyone can give me any further info on these pistols like whats the difference between a 6M and a 6G it wold be appreciated.
    Also are the elligible for the U.B.C. vintage comp ??

Thanks

Bill

6M has tiny little date left rear cylinder. Not sure about 6.
    M&G are target pistols. 6 general purpose.
    6 made 1960-78.
    Last edited by gingernut; 22-02-2010 at 04:38 PM. Reason: ad

thanks for that

Bill

All are target pistols using the same Giss opposed piston recoilless action. The 6 and 6G only differ in the lower frame/grip. The 6 has the grip and frame as all one moulding whereas the 6G has an alloy frame onto which grip 'halves' are screwed. This allowed the use of wooden grips as an alternative to the standard plastic grips.
    The 6M introduced the rotating barrel shroud and variable foresight width (6 and 6G had replaceable foresight elements), the width being adjusted by rotating a triangular foresight post. The barrel shroud rotates to cover this foresight during cocking protecting both your hand and the foresight from damage. The 6M was also available with wooden anatomical target grips with a palm shelf. These are retro-fitable to the 6G but not the 6.
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

Here is my Original 6M with standard plastic grips.
    Jef

Sorry maybe misled by my Blue Book which only refers to M&G being target. No disrespect intended!

No disrespect detected mate. I was just adding my ten pen'orth of knowledge. Any pistol can be used for general purpose use. The model 6 was developed as a recoilless pistol which would obviously have been aimed mainly at target shooters. It would, though, have been an expensive general purpose pistol in it's day.
    There are plenty of people about who buy target pistols who are not serious target shooters.
    There are many people with Steyrs for instance who are not serious target shooters....

....trust me, I know

......I'm one
    Jef

Thanks for that Jef looking at your pic means I have a 6M. Its a cracking pistol so Im hoping my UBC scores are going to improve and I might try my hand in the vintage section as well. IF I CAN FIND THE TIME

cheers

Bill

So did you find a date BB?
    Jef I know all about people who shoot tin cans with Steyrs! Have a mate who does this and with Walthers too!

But I beat him at 10 metres target with my Original Mod 10 and won the longest range tin can with my refurbished, owned from new .22 BSA Scorpion.
    To be fair he also beats me a lot.
    Longest range tin can is a new Olympic air pistol discipline. You can guess the rules!

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    Here's my 6G date is at back of cylinder on the left hand side.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...i/DSCF1090.jpg

HTH.

Roy.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

Talking 6M Service

Still to do with the Original 6m . Mine was playing up on Saturday when I was trying to shoot the 10M UBC comp . The shots were falling about three inches low. Bugger . So having done a bit of research on here a while ago I remembered that some kind soul has suggested a gunsmith company in West Norwood , Frank Dyke . Gave them a ring this morning and skived off work early this afternoon and popped over to see them . I took with me another 6M which had been stripped down by the previous owner which I had bought on here to fix myself, but hadn't got round to, just in case a part from this second one may be needed to repair the first. Anyway the really nice and helpful chap diagnosed a blown seal. I showed him the one in pieces which he checked and confirmed that everything was there. He suggested a price which I readily agreed to and I walked down the road to get some dosh . Half an hour later , back at the workshop with TWO fully functioning 6m's. Bloody great service from a master craftsman at a bargain price.
    I'm proper chuffed . Alan

Knockedover is offline Strength.Determination.Merciless.Forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontbrake View Post
    Still to do with the Original 6m . Mine was playing up on Saturday when I was trying to shoot the 10M UBC comp . The shots were falling about three inches low. Bugger . So having done a bit of research on here a while ago I remembered that some kind soul has suggested a gunsmith company in West Norwood , Frank Dyke . Gave them a ring this morning and skived off work early this afternoon and popped over to see them . I took with me another 6M which had been stripped down by the previous owner which I had bought on here to fix myself, but hadn't got round to, just in case a part from this second one may be needed to repair the first. Anyway the really nice and helpful chap diagnosed a blown seal. I showed him the one in pieces which he checked and confirmed that everything was there. He suggested a price which I readily agreed to and I walked down the road to get some dosh . Half an hour later , back at the workshop with TWO fully functioning 6m's. Bloody great service from a master craftsman at a bargain price.
    I'm proper chuffed . Alan

Good to see you got it sorted Glad it went to someone who had the time to make it shoot again

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    So did you find a date BB?
    Yip on the left rear of the cylinder, problem is I can't tell if it says 02 70, 76 or 78 its so small and my eyesight is not what it used to be

Also I can't find a magifying glass

atvb

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbill View Post
    Thanks for that Jef looking at your pic means I have a 6M. Its a cracking pistol so Im hoping my UBC scores are going to improve and I might try my hand in the vintage section as well. IF I CAN FIND THE TIME

cheers

Bill
    On further inspection it seems I just have a plain old Mod 6, never mind its still a cracking pistol. Have shot the UBC 10m today and Im pleasently surprised with my scores.

atb

Bill

The action is the same on all three models Bill. Same barrel, same cylinder, same piston and contra piston, same rear sight and same trigger so a plain old 6 is just as accurate as the 6G or 6M.
    The later models just introduced refinements in the grip (and the foresight on the 6M), the basic action remained unchanged.
    The 6 is every bit the classic, just as are the 6G and 6M.

Even the 10M uses the same basic action, they just added a more refined (read adjustable) trigger and a multi-adjustable grip.
    Jef