Thread: Just how large is the British Fox?

dormin Guest

Just how large is the British Fox?

Once again I'm reading a thread in which some fellow asks about the appropriateness of a 60 fpe air rifle for fox and he is counseled here that it is far from enough. I posted something similar a while back and the thread was removed. I was told before its removal however that fox in Britain was far larger than the housecat which I compared it to. Looking for something authoritative, an internet site described Vulpes vulpes (Red Fox) as being 67-72 cm in length with the female about 5-6 kilos and the male 6-7 kilos. So what are we talking about in Britain? I would genuinely like to know?

Have to say Dormin that a 60 ft lb rifle in the right calibre and grain will take out a fox without any trouble at all. Range will have to be considered but it is well within capabilities.

In fact, the fox is not that big an animal and in a confrontation between moggie and fox, the fox is the one that will usually give way to the cat.

Bit like magpies, they look big birds but when it comes to it they are all flash suits, loud voices and no substance underneath.

Any one who thinks otherwise would be well advised to get a big ball of ballistic putty and see what happens when 60 ft lbs energy caomes a calling.

However, range, calibre and grains all play a significant part and max range will be affected by this and ones markmanship. Just because your rifle can shoot 12o yards doesnt mean you should !

Steyr
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

15lb is an average weight for an adult fox, you do get the odd one above 20 but few and far between.

The difference is between 'could' and 'should'.

Some crazy nutter once killed an elephant with a .22 RF but that is not something I would recommend.
    I think and therefore...... I refuse to steal someone else's quote to try to sound more erudite or profound than I actually am.

Have a word with your FEO about shooting Foxes with any airgun, I have used airguns with more than 200ftlb but I wouldnt ever go out with such a gun to shoot foxes

Nothing to do with "holier than thou" etc, just I like to know I am using the correct tool and IMO thats a 22/250, that way my consience is clear and no veggies can accuse me of being inhumane

Baz

seaton7392 Guest
    Wots it got to do with the veggie brigade anyway,they're not going to eat it are they?

Baz I am finding .22-250 very very "humane"
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

bozzerman Guest
    Size of Foxey....

We have a small collie cross bitch and the fox is @ the same size as her....

Height from ground to shoulder @ 14"

Length @ 24" (excluding tail)

Weight @ 15lb (as said above)

Although the odd one does look bigger.

Also, as already stated, the dimensions are as naturally viewed and when they are soaked thru they look a very reduced creature.

Boz
    Last edited by bozzerman; 21-10-2004 at 12:06 PM.

Gary C Guest
    Bozzer...those dimensions are Tracey..go measure the one with 4 legs..

bozzerman Guest
    ......I'll line 'em up.....and you knock 'em down.

B Z
    Last edited by bozzerman; 21-10-2004 at 01:10 PM.

sneaky beaky Guest
    [/QUOTE] Bit like magpies, they look big birds but when it comes to it they are all flash suits, loud voices and no substance underneath.
    Steyr[/QUOTE]

he,he... superfield to the bonce and SHUT IIIIT!

Koz Guest
    There're some pretty well fed ones around here, bin raiders.

They look heavier than 15lb'ers to me.