Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hawk 10x42 tactical (First Impression)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I have used one of these for a little over 6 weeks now and Its a keeper for sure, nice and clear between 13-35yds and just start to blurr at 40yds. Good for those who use the blurr for ranging. Build quality is top notch and glass to hard to beat for the money. I shot a reasonable 99 at the Worlds and a 54 at the Nefta Hunter at Hull (Both good scores for me, lol.)
    I use my box for my sandwiches, little use for anything else.
    Buy one with confidence.
    FX Streamline STX/Aeron. MTC Connect 3-12x24 SCB

Well finally got to shoot the hawke on a course today and put a solid 55 in. I found the scope to be clear and bright as we shot in the woods and clear at the desired ranges. I had the px set to blur anything over 42 yds and this worked a treat to identify the long targets. I did however have to try and keep my head in the same posistion to avoid any px error but I am well chuffed with my first outing.
    WHERE EVER DUTY AND GLORY LEAD.

STEYR 110 HP HAWKE TAC 30.

From what a could see when I had a look today it's a cracking piece of kit Mick....very clear optics which I think possibly have the edge over your EB Sniper mate.
    Time will tell but nice shooting today anyway buddy

Dave
    AA TX MK3/Self tuned/ Mamba Lite
    AA TX MK2/VMach tuned/MambaLite
    Hollins Green HFTC

nice scope, i think i might get on instead of a new MTC

The quality and features are good, but boy are they heavy! 30mm tube doesn't help...

10x42 = 25.4 ozs (720g)

4.5-14x42 = 27.3 ozs (775g).

Nice optics, the Frontier SF are even nicer, but then it's only a standard Mildot reticule and costs 50% more.

For comparison my swift scope weighs 21ozs (for a 8-32x50) and my Leup is under 11ozs!

deano is offline Crack!.......Wheeee........Thup
    Quote Originally Posted by shoottherunner! View Post
    nice scope, i think i might get on instead of a new MTC
    go for it, you will not regret it one bit - buy the fixed mag if you want to have the best optics though.

After more time with these scopes the eye adjustment seems pretty important to play with, to suit your own eyes, they seem more sensitive than most but the rewards are worth it. My boys have massively different eyes, the eldest has brilliant and I do mean brilliant eyesight the younger of the two has just plain old average eyesight, it's more critical for the younger of the two. The eldest just seemed to drop lucky immediately he says a little blurry at under 10yards but great up to 45yards he has his parallax set at 23 ish yards, I'm pretty sure there is a better compromise for HFT if he sets his parallax at maybe 20 sharper for the closer sometimes tougher targets and the 45 yard targets have big kill zones anyway. The younger son was more difficult to get into the sweet spot for his eyes but he's happy with it now. Head position is important but they are certainly no worse then my Leupold. I'm still of the opinion that these are good scopes and for what they offer excellent value for money.
    Good deals with;Highland Warrior, UK Neil, ffireblade, Rapidnick

deano is offline Crack!.......Wheeee........Thup
    out of interest, does anyone know the best zero range for this scope on an HMR to make use of the half-mil dots???

used chairgun, but i'm lucky if i can use 3 of them!!

ive got the 4.5-14x42 on my springer. i was that impressed with it that i got the 10x42 for my hft rig. awesome scope for the money. ive found that i dont get parralax error at all. its cos i have to have my head in exactly the same place every time to see through it. if my heads not right, the sight picture seems dull. once its right its crystal clear and bang on target. the half mil dot ret is great too. they should do the hft special 4.5-14x38 sr6 in a mil dot too. they'd sell thousands more. hopefully, thats already in the pipe line. you could sit it propa low to the barrel.
    Last edited by gasman1; 17-09-2010 at 09:35 PM.

Depth of view 4.5-14

can anyone tell me how the depth of view of the 4.5-14x42 is at 8x ?
    I have the 10x42 and use it for HFT, works fine but at a match last weekend they put some targets at 8 yards and the kilzones where too blurry
    I would like to switch to a 4.5-14 one if I know that it will give proper viem from 8-45 yards at 8x
    I expect to gain more at the short targets than to loose at the far ones which will look smaller at 8x
    or maybe we could change the HFT distances from 8-45 to 12-45 , so I can stick to the 10x42

Thanks
    Peter
    Last edited by Petervw; 22-09-2010 at 01:51 PM. Reason: text

Quote Originally Posted by Petervw View Post
    can anyone tell me how the depth of view of the 4.5-14x42 is at 8x ?
    I have the 10x42 and use it for HFT, works fine but at a match last weekend they put some targets at 8 yards and the kilzones where too blurry
    I would like to switch to a 4.5-14 one if I know that it will give proper viem from 8-45 yards at 8x
    I expect to gain more at the short targets than to loose at the far ones which will look smaller at 8x
    or maybe we could change the HFT distances from 8-45 to 12-45 , so I can stick to the 10x42

Thanks
    Peter
    Ive got my TAC 30 10x42 parralaxed at 24 yards (ish) and i have no probs from 8 yards out to 55+ yards, yes the 8 yard target is blurred abit but still good enough to get the kill zone.

I know if i wanted to i cud drop my parrelax down to make them better (since HFT is only upto 45 yards) but i dont feel the need (plus the blur helps to identify when a target is below 15 yards), whats your parrelax set at?

Maybe our eyes are very differant.

Mark
    Air Arms MPR + GINB FT1 + VIPER 10X44
    WALTHER LGU + VIPER 10X44

mine is set just a bit under the 25 mark, I would say 22 or 20
    when I adjust it to get better view on the close ones I can't find the hitzone on the long ones
    maybe its me ...

Peter

Hi everyone i am looking fo info on sidewinder tac 30 has any one owned or used one !!!!! cheers

I have fitted the 10x42 to my rifle. I find head position is crucial as I either have a clear picture or no picture. A slight move of the head and I can see nothing.

When I have a clear image through the cross hairs I don;t get a really sharp edge to the picture. The bottom half of the circular picture has a very sharp edge but the top doesn't. I have tried all sorts of head positions, but I can't ever get a perfectly defined circle all the way round the image.

Is this just me poor eyesight, or do others experience this too. I don't get it with my Viper or Mamba.

Other than that I like it. Good depth of field as everyone has said.
    AA S510SL .177, Daystate Airwolf .177, Daystate Platinum .177

do you have adjustable cheek piece and but pad? this makes a bid difference with getting a good head position behind the scope. it worked for me anyway.