Thread: Hawk 10x42 tactical (First Impression)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hawk 10x42 tactical (First Impression)

Hawk 10x42 tactical from a HFT perspective ( First Impression)

In the box:
    Scope, small tools, lenscloth, 2 screw on endcaps, pointer ring, mini sidewheel, and sunshade.
    On the Range:
    Let get the bad bits out of the way. Mildots are not true. At first I thought it was a metric scope but it says yards on the turrets. Mildot 1 is true (which is all I am interested in for HFT). The further down the mildot chain you go the further out they are.
    Setting the parallax for HFT shooting ( I chose 25 yards) You can get the crosshair to move out of a 40mm kill at 10 yds by moving your head. So head position for shorter tartgets is critical.

Now the good bits:
    Optics are very bright. The skeleton reticle is good especially for rangefinding. Reticle has dots (•)for full and little butterfly thingies ( ►◄) as half markers. It also has ladder type lines at the base of the ret so you can use this to measure targets
    I think what makes this scope stand out is the depth of field. It’s very very good ( not like the last hawke I tested ) with parallax set to 25 yards I could see and hit the dreaded 15mm reducer at 13 yards as it was quite clear, still blurred but the killzone was discernable on a very splattered target. 8 and 10 yard 40mm were not a problem at all. 20 to 40 yards crystal clear and 45 very slight blurring
    The day of test was overcast so couldn’t point in the general direction of sun to see whiteout effects.
    I will be using it for HFT’ing at the weekend so will update when I have used it in anger. But so far it looks like hawke have got this one nearly right and it’s very promising indeed.
    This could be a keeper
    Last edited by poison dwarf; 27-02-2010 at 12:33 PM.