Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hawk 10x42 tactical (First Impression)

nice scope, i think i might get on instead of a new MTC

The quality and features are good, but boy are they heavy! 30mm tube doesn't help...

10x42 = 25.4 ozs (720g)

4.5-14x42 = 27.3 ozs (775g).

Nice optics, the Frontier SF are even nicer, but then it's only a standard Mildot reticule and costs 50% more.

For comparison my swift scope weighs 21ozs (for a 8-32x50) and my Leup is under 11ozs!

deano is offline Crack!.......Wheeee........Thup
    Quote Originally Posted by shoottherunner! View Post
    nice scope, i think i might get on instead of a new MTC
    go for it, you will not regret it one bit - buy the fixed mag if you want to have the best optics though.

After more time with these scopes the eye adjustment seems pretty important to play with, to suit your own eyes, they seem more sensitive than most but the rewards are worth it. My boys have massively different eyes, the eldest has brilliant and I do mean brilliant eyesight the younger of the two has just plain old average eyesight, it's more critical for the younger of the two. The eldest just seemed to drop lucky immediately he says a little blurry at under 10yards but great up to 45yards he has his parallax set at 23 ish yards, I'm pretty sure there is a better compromise for HFT if he sets his parallax at maybe 20 sharper for the closer sometimes tougher targets and the 45 yard targets have big kill zones anyway. The younger son was more difficult to get into the sweet spot for his eyes but he's happy with it now. Head position is important but they are certainly no worse then my Leupold. I'm still of the opinion that these are good scopes and for what they offer excellent value for money.
    Good deals with;Highland Warrior, UK Neil, ffireblade, Rapidnick

out of interest, does anyone know the best zero range for this scope on an HMR to make use of the half-mil dots???

used chairgun, but i'm lucky if i can use 3 of them!!

Quote Originally Posted by deanc2226 View Post
    out of interest, does anyone know the best zero range for this scope on an HMR to make use of the half-mil dots???

I zero mine at 30 yds for hft and find that between 13 and 33 yds it is a straight forward cross hair shot. I use the first mil dot for 10 yds and 45. I use the half mil dot for 40 yds, theese are on full size kills of course, but I do find the half mil dot mark useful for the smaller kills especially the 15 mils.
    WHERE EVER DUTY AND GLORY LEAD.

STEYR 110 HP HAWKE TAC 30.

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!
    Quote Originally Posted by deanc2226 View Post

A mil dot is 100mm at 100yards, I've never shot much further out than that with a hummer so have never used a lot of hold over. There must be a rim fire equivalent to chairgun which'd give you some info?
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

i've got it sorted through chairgun now, for the 10 x 42 half mil scope the dots are as follows (with a 100yd zero) -

48.5yd (near as dammit 50yd), 100yd (centre of x-hair for both), 155yd, 195yd, 225yd, 250yd and 275yds.

brilliant combo with the HMR that i would say!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlts View Post
    A mil dot is 100mm at 100yards, I've never shot much further out than that with a hummer so have never used a lot of hold over. There must be a rim fire equivalent to chairgun which'd give you some info?
    Downloads Hawkes own BRC, its spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by delboy1968 View Post
    looked at this scope the other week, looks nice. how would you compare it to a viper?
    better quality optics, ie, much crisper image and better depth of field. also 'feels' more sturdy.

after buying a 10x42 i was sitting on the fence and almost sold it to buy a eb sniper because the paralax error i was getting at 13yrds on a 15mm kill was ridiculas only knocking the target down 1 or 2 times out of 20 but just as i was about to give up on the scope a friend at MAD suggested a few things and we repositioned my cheeck piece and i was knocking the target down EVERY time , and i went straight out and shot my PB with it . id definatly say that the key to this scope is getting your eye in the exact right spot more so than my viper or you will suffer BAD paralax error , now i have this sorted im very happy with the scope . very nice optics

Quote Originally Posted by griggzz View Post
    after buying a 10x42 i was sitting on the fence and almost sold it to buy a eb sniper because the paralax error i was getting at 13yrds on a 15mm kill was ridiculas only knocking the target down 1 or 2 times out of 20 but just as i was about to give up on the scope a friend at MAD suggested a few things and we repositioned my cheeck piece and i was knocking the target down EVERY time , and i went straight out and shot my PB with it . id definatly say that the key to this scope is getting your eye in the exact right spot more so than my viper or you will suffer BAD paralax error , now i have this sorted im very happy with the scope . very nice optics
    agree, you will find that scopes with quality glass are not too friendly to misaligned eye position, this one really shows up how good your postion is, but only takes 2 or 3 outings to get sorted.

What's the Illuminated Reticle like on this particular scope?I've seen through some makes of scopes and their version of the IR,and some I gotta say are pretty shocking!Would be interesting to know what this scope is like in low light for Dusk/Dawn Shooting too?
    Any advice would be very much appreciated.
    Thankyou.
    Daystate Renegade .177,Daystate Forester LE .22,Daystate Huntsman Classic .177,Daystate Huntsman Regal .177,Daystate Bullpup 2000 .177,Weihrauch HW45 Custom .22,Weihrauch Silverstar .22,Weihrauch HW77K SE .22,Weihrauch HW35E .22.

itsaheadshot Guest
    is this is the Tac version quality scope - very nice case aswell!! Don't understand why they didn't use flip up covers quality of scope is top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by bullet boy View Post
    What's the Illuminated Reticle like on this particular scope?I've seen through some makes of scopes and their version of the IR,and some I gotta say are pretty shocking!Would be interesting to know what this scope is like in low light for Dusk/Dawn Shooting too?
    Any advice would be very much appreciated.
    Thankyou.
    no reflection of IR in the tube, really good ret when illuminated, very sharp, doesnt blur once lit either.

i use it for shooting in low light - find it to be perfectly fine.