Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zero Distance

Zero Distance

Just wondering what distance the majority of you .177 shooters zero your scopes at and why? (12 ft lbs)
    Just went back to .177 after a period of using .22 (I was doing a lot of close range hunting.)
    Any info appreciated.

Regards...Ian

SWAT Strachan is offline I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me...
    25 yards, as that used to be the distance to the back of our old indoor range. But now the new one is 33 yards long, so my zero point is usualy set to about 30 yards. I'd say anywhere between 25 and 30 yards would be suitable for a 12ft/lbs rifle. further than that and you need to start adjusting more for the drop.
    ├●┤ «●» ├●┤

I have zeroed my rifle at 25 yards, the reson for this is that I can dial in adjustments out to 55 yards in 1 rotation of the turret if the zero was less or more could get confussing on how many rotations I was on, and it does not take a lot to confuse me
    Dave

Gary C Guest
    35 yards
    Minimal adjustment from 10 to 40

Mohawk Guest
    I prefer to use a simple method. The zero range is the maximum that you can consistently (i.e. 99%) hit a kill zone sized disc of your intended quarry. So for pigeons, its a 1" circle. I normally end up around a 35yd zero. The other advantage to max ranging, is that all shots will be on the mark, or above it at shorter ranges (apart from very close) thus if your hold under is wrong you are likely to miss the bird, rather than injure it. I believe this is much better than hold over. Before anyone shouts about scope adjustments, I don't like pissing about with optics, set them & leave them alone is how I prefer to operate. Check the zero on a regular basis, obviously.

Chris W.

35 for me too!

DJP Guest
    About 35 yards too. It means that anywhere from 15 to 40 yards I can consistently hit a 20mm reset by just aiming dead on.

Fiddler Guest
    Same here 35yds

i use 25 yrds . then all dialing is upwards
    Regards
    Seggy

I zero at 35 yards for FT with my .177 S400 and using Daystate 8.44 grain pellets.

This makes it 'spot on' from 30 to 40 yards and requires just one and a half mill-dots elevation at 55 yards.

With Crosman Premier Heavies (10.5 grains) it stikes about another mill-dot lower at 55 yards.

For live quarry (not yet) I wouldn't attempt a shot beyond 45 yards even with the heavies.
    "I would laud the day when there is a rifle in every cottage in England." Robert Arthur Talbot Gascoyne-Cecil.Your 'local' hospice needs your charity . Please give until it hurts..I made this

Gazo Guest
    35 yards .177
    25 yards .22

I would suggest 35yd with that Harrier X of yours.

Or possibly even 40 yd however this is my personal preferance, of long range varminting.

Actually you should get a feel for the gun first and then decide for yourself, from when I spoke to you - it was obvious that Hunting and HFT would play a major role in your shooting - and from that decide upon your zero range.

steven is offline Whist - it's the new rock'n'roll, innit?
    35 yrds - for reasons explained by Gary C and DJP

Darren Petts Guest
    Much will depend on the height of your scope above the barrel but most "normal" guns I'd zero at 35 yds in .177 using Daystates or similar

35yds in .177 mate - get a copy of Chairgun and have a play