Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1972 HW35 resto job....

1972 HW35 resto job....

Hey up all

I bought this as a restoration project, it's a 1972 (pre safety button) HW35 with a 19.5" barrel..

It was used by a previous owner as the subject of a cammo paint job, i started with the Nitromors tonight and had about an hour stripping the paint from the stock (Nitromors made it easy )
    The stock has been rubbed down before at some point and the chequering has lost the tops of the diamonds so will need re-cutting (anyone selling a chequering tool???? )
    The stock has some nice grain with a hint of Tiger striping and is the same (walnut) as an Export that i used to own..
    i have to get a few parts that are missing such as the barrel axis locking nut, the front stock bolt (screw), trigger spring etc and am hoping at the shooting fair tomorrow, there may be someone selling parts...
    I still have to strip and polish the action with a view to getting it re-blued at BAR..

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

pic 4

pic 5

This is how it came to me but with a bag of bits, i know it doesn't look much better but i've got a bit done to it

The stock is far from finished and will need more scraping/rubbing down then bleaching and chequering crisping up again but there's no rush (can't wait really )

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Poor thing! Well the patient seems to be responding well to treatment. I hope that whoever was responsible for this blatant case of abuse is severeley reprimanded and given a spanking - camo on a HW35 Export!

The Horror! The Horror!

And what happened to the barrel? I thought they were all 22"?

One of my favorite guns, although I am ashamed to say I don't own one at present.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Poor thing! Well the patient seems to be responding well to treatment. I hope that whoever was responsible for this blatant case of abuse is severeley reprimanded and given a spanking - camo on a HW35 Export!

The Horror! The Horror!

And what happened to the barrel? I thought they were all 22"?

One of my favorite guns, although I am ashamed to say I don't own one at present.

It just says HW35 on the barrel block- no mention of Export

The lad that i almost got it from had the gun given to him (he's on here too ) and didn't realise what it was so had a bash at giving it the treatment
    i didn't manage to get it from him as i had to go to work, i got it from the chap that did manage to get it from him- clear as mud eh??

The innards need a looking at as the piston seems a little sticky upon cocking, it shoots a pellet but with a fair bit recoil, at least it doesn't have an OX spring fitted but rather a round section spring so the internals might not be smashed to smithereens...

John

The Export barrel (22") does not have Export engraved on it.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    It just says HW35 on the barrel block- no mention of Export

The innards need a looking at as the piston seems a little sticky upon cocking, it shoots a pellet but with a fair bit recoil, at least it doesn't have an OX spring fitted but rather a round section spring so the internals might not be smashed to smithereens...

John
    It's an Export stock. The Export wasnt marked as such, it was distinguishable by its long 22" barrel and walnut stock. Perhaps the early ones had the standard length barrel (as do the most modern ones?). Well worth the effort in fixin it up.

Hw35

Thats an Export stock all right. Out of interest whats the serial no on the rifle, its just that area of chequering in front of trigger guard was only on the earlier rifles. I may be wrong.

However whoever did that to a 35E should be hung by the "wotsits" until they turn blue.

Good luck with the project and can we have after photo's?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    Thats an Export stock all right. Out of interest whats the serial no on the rifle, its just that area of chequering in front of trigger guard was only on the earlier rifles. I may be wrong.

However whoever did that to a 35E should be hung by the "wotsits" until they turn blue.

Good luck with the project and can we have after photo's?

Hi Coburn

Serial number is HERE

It's a 1972 model confirmed by Weihrauch.. as it's pre 1977 there is no safety catch...

There's no need to hang anyone by the short and curly's as the damage is reversible and i'm looking forwards to getting it up[ to speed

Cheers, John

Re: barrel axis locking nut , John I have a spare, will post it to you...pm me your address

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Prewar View Post
    Re: barrel axis locking nut , John I have a spare, will post it to you...pm me your address

Hi Prewar

PM sent, Many thanks mate- you're a gent of the highest order

Kind regards, John

THIS was my attempt at refurbishing a pile of HW35 bits. I had a spare Export stock, a .22 K barrel (marked as such) a very tatty cylinder and choice of spare pistons - springs - trigger units etc. I had the blueing (the photos dont do it justice ) done by Col at M.A.G. and polished the standard trigger and guard. It now sports a stainless Jim Edge safety catch.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    THIS was my attempt at refurbishing a pile of HW35 bits. I had a spare Export stock, a .22 K barrel (marked as such) a very tatty cylinder and choice of spare pistons - springs - trigger units etc. I had the blueing (the photos dont do it justice ) done by Col at M.A.G. and polished the standard trigger and guard. It now sports a stainless Jim Edge safety catch.

ATB
    Ian
    , crumbs Ian- that looks gorgeous

i've stripped the internals (and got the trigger working properly!) and polished the cylinder/barrel/trigger block and cocking link, the metalwork (under the paint) looks as though it's had a grinder applied to it and is a bit of a mess, i think it will want a lot more work with the emery cloth before i buff it up again...

Polish work 1

polish work 2

the spring had broken around 30mm from the end in the piston, it had screwed itself into the main part of the spring which made it difficult to extract...

Broken spring 1

Closer

the piston seems OK

As does the seal though it will probably need a wash before reassembly...

Oh well, when i get more emery/wet & dry, i'll have another bash at getting rid of the grinding marks (or pitting, or whatever it was!)

John...

Many thanks to Prewar for the barrel axis bolt & locknut- it was like brand new

I don't think i'll bother with the open sights now but rather, will fit a nice set of period scopes (have some old Nikko Silver Crown 3/9x40 in glossy black to fit) as my eyes can't seem to cope with open sights anymore

Cheers, John

BTW- if anyoneone has a front stock bolt for a HW35 going spare, i still need to buy one

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post

BTW- if anyoneone has a front stock bolt for a HW35 going spare, i still need to buy one

£4.10 + post from Chambers http://www.gunspares.co.uk/shopdispl...24562&cat=HW35

hi

Quote Originally Posted by Prewar View Post
    you have to spend minimum of 15 pounds with them per order though dont you

Quote Originally Posted by whitevanman574 View Post
    you have to spend minimum of 15 pounds with them per order though dont you

I don't think so... I have ordered things for under a tenner before...the screw with postage comes out at £6.63 though.