Thread: thinking of buying classic. what to look for?

thinking of buying classic. what to look for?

im thinking of buying something like a hw35 feinwerkbau 124/127 or an early 80. i want something that is usable and will be used farely regular. i was going to go for a hw95 but thought i would go for something with a little more character that would be just as usable. i like the look of all three of the above.

what do you guys suggest and what do i need to know before buying/ what should i be looking for?

do some of the 35s have leather seals? can these be changed to more modern seals. what about the feinwerkbau

what prices would i be looking at paying?

sorry for all the questions

atvb

dave
    tx200hc mk3 v-mached s400k in tawnado stock tuned qb78dlx hw100kt

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    The rifles you mention are superb choices, but I think you could make a more interesting choice. You already have a top-performing springer in the form of your TX200HC, so you can afford to get something more exotic.

One rifle that is incredibel value for money and a complete dream to own is the Feinwerkbau 300 recoilless match rifle. OK, it is only 6 ft/lbs with the standard spring but it is extremely accurate and easy to shoot. Think one-hole groups at 25 yards and a trigger that makes an AA CD seem like a gritty Spanish job. You can get a nice one for about 140 quid. A hi-power spring can boost the power to 8 ft/lbs or more.

Another is the Weihrauch HW55. This is also a match rifle, although not recoilless, and lighter than the FWB 300. It can be tuned to over 10 ft/lbs, and can be found in a deliciously comfortable Tyrolean stock. Priced at 150 or so depending on exact model. Venom used to sell this rifle as a super-accurate recoilling hunting rifle.

Both rifles have heaps of character and will outlast you!
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 28-02-2010 at 06:25 PM.

they both sound nice. i have handled the 300 and liked the side lever and diopter sights but i think i would prefer something closer to being a full power hunter.
    tx200hc mk3 v-mached s400k in tawnado stock tuned qb78dlx hw100kt

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by hollow-point View Post
    they both sound nice. i have handled the 300 and liked the side lever and diopter sights but i think i would prefer something closer to being a full power hunter.
    Well of your list probably the best choice would be a nice early HW80 with the square slabby stock and in .177. Very tough, lots of cheap parts, very easy to maintain and tune, and a real 'man's gun'. Be careful and check the power, they are easy to put over the limit, and can suffer from the fitting of Ox springs. At 12 ft/lbs they are very under-stressed. A classic hunter.

For a different weight (HW80 are on the heavier side, good choice though) then find a FWB 124 Sport and period scope (nothing too clever 3-9 x40 or 45). An Original 45 in .177 is another hunting classic underrated. Both with a basic tar and lube tune will settle down to give a period fine shooting experience.

The Theoben SLR88 is another classic or Park 91/93 for exotic. Both are very interesting and would be different enough to your TX.

Many other rifles are too similar to your TX or would be disappointing like lets say a a Sterling 81. HW35E are lovely but have their problems which were ironed out in the HW77 and 80. Some say that why they are interesting. A Webley Omega is another one to look out for, and British.

Classic

How about a pro-elite and a webley tomahawk?

Regards

Mach 1.5

my friend has a fwb 124 sport and his son has a hw80 they both shoot very well but the hw80 is heavier,its like they say try before you buy
    good luck with what ever you choose.
    atb ally