Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: combro usb cable

combro usb cable

hi all, does anyone know where i can get information on how to make my own usb cable for a combro cb625 mk4, cheers john

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    Why bother, Combro sell one ready made cheap as chips!!!

Cheers.

Roy.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

No they don't.
    It is not a USB cable, it is a 9 pin serial port cable. You will need a USB adapter to run it and a great many of them will not work with this cable.

So there
    The list is shortened..... but still distinguished.

Does the combro have a usb port on it? If it does you would then need USB drivers to load the device on the computer as the serial drivers will communicate with the device differently. Does your computer not have a serial port? If it doesn't get one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-RS232-Co.../dp/B00077DJIQ.

thanks for your help guys, was jumping the gun a little and hoping the chrono would be here today so i could have the lead ready to have a play.but it never came,i will have to wait till tomorrow, never mind

Combro Cables

Have a chat with Stot on here. Here is one of his earlier posts - he still has cables for sale and I'm contemplating one - don't know if I really need it though.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=426214

Chewy is offline Can't believe i missed this last night...
    I've just made a cable to connect my new Chrony to my laptop. I used an Avit Research TTL to USB cable that i got from the unmentionable auction site for £11 including postage. IIRC, the Combro uses TTL too, so the same cable, with the correct end fitted, should work for the Combro too. The drivers for this cable are available from Avit's website and set it up as a virtual COM port on your PC.
    Weihrauch HW99S .177 - Pardini P10 - Crosman 2240 - Beeman P17 .177 - Umarex Beretta PX4 Storm .177 - Umarex Beretta 92FS .177

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    I've just made a cable to connect my new Chrony to my laptop. I used an Avit Research TTL to USB cable that i got from the unmentionable auction site for £11 including postage. IIRC, the Combro uses TTL too, so the same cable, with the correct end fitted, should work for the Combro too. The drivers for this cable are available from Avit's website and set it up as a virtual COM port on your PC.
    I'm a little confused by the jumping around in the post Are you saying the one off the bay works? Have you tried it, as proof of working before purchasing would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chewy is offline Can't believe i missed this last night...
    Yes, it works, BUT you will need to fit it with a suitable connector to fit the Combro. I soldered on a standard 3.5mm stereo jack plug to suit my F1 Chrony, and it works perfectly.

Keep in mind that this is on my Chrony, not a Combro. Looking at the Combro info the serial communications runs at 0 to 5v, which means it SHOULD be TTL. Robin will be able to confirm that.
    Weihrauch HW99S .177 - Pardini P10 - Crosman 2240 - Beeman P17 .177 - Umarex Beretta PX4 Storm .177 - Umarex Beretta 92FS .177

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    Looking at the Combro info the serial communications runs at 0 to 5v, which means it SHOULD be TTL. Robin will be able to confirm that.
    Sort of, it's dual function, here's an explanation for those who do electronics-speak...

..it starts at the pin with a 1M resistor pull down and then connects to the processor through a 10k resistor. When you press RST the cb-625 starts by reading the serial pin and if it finds a high it disables the power saving features.

To get both the disable and the serial output we apply a 100k pullup in the cable. That gives you 100k up, 1M down and a 10k in series so the 0-6V serial output is, at best, approximate. We sort it out with an op-amp which leeches it's power from the serial port. We get negative volts from the TX pin and the software sets RTS high for the positive.

cb-625 has to have the 10k in series so you can short the battery back on to the serial pin without blowing the processor when it tries to pull the line low.

Quote Originally Posted by robinghewitt View Post
    Sort of, it's dual function, here's an explanation for those who do electronics-speak...

..it starts at the pin with a 1M resistor pull down and then connects to the processor through a 10k resistor. When you press RST the cb-625 starts by reading the serial pin and if it finds a high it disables the power saving features.

To get both the disable and the serial output we apply a 100k pullup in the cable. That gives you 100k up, 1M down and a 10k in series so the 0-6V serial output is, at best, approximate. We sort it out with an op-amp which leeches it's power from the serial port. We get negative volts from the TX pin and the software sets RTS high for the positive.

cb-625 has to have the 10k in series so you can short the battery back on to the serial pin without blowing the processor when it tries to pull the line low.

Hi Robin, do you do the USB cables as well as opposed to serial cables and avoiding going to evil-bay?

I just got one from combro plus the extension cable and paid £3 for a usb serial adapter of that dodgy auction site works a treat for me.
    "A wise old man told me something once but I forgot what he said."

I have the combro lead and a USB to serial (RS232)converter that came with a software disk. It cost £20.

I have tried it on both XP and Vista and have never been able to get it to work
    The list is shortened..... but still distinguished.

Here's how to connect a CB625 to a usb port:

parts list:
    1. this serial<->usb converter http://www./itm/310227904679?ssPageN...84.m1439.l2649
    forget about the disk that comes with it & download a driver that works from here
    http://www.conceptronic.net/Site/des...=420&pc=CCSERU
    2. a usb lead - cut out the plugs and glue them together then solder the pins & solder a wire onto the +5v pin
    3. the serial connection circuit shown on the CB625 user guide (same as on the web site) http://www.combro.co.uk/cb625/m625-3.gif
    4. a female D9 plug.
    5. combro freeware

Construction
    1. from the combro serial circuit connect RXD to D9 pin 2, TXD to D9 pin 3, GND to D9 pin 5, RTS to D9 pin7.
    2. connect usb +5v jump lead between combro pin 1 and the first 100k resistor - DO NOT CONNECT +5v TO COMBRO PIN 1 & PIN 3 that will kill the signal out from the combro

if you do this, you will have a cable that will allow your combro to talk to your computer - I have done this & it works. There are more details/photos posted here including layout & construction detail
    http://ukchineseairgunforum.myfreefo...2-0-asc-30.php

Cheers
    Simon
    Last edited by invisibleman; 02-09-2011 at 08:13 PM.

Has anyone constructed this or made a usb cable that connects directly to the combro using the combro plug if so what are the connections and does it require any electronics etc
    Don't save up for a rainy day spend it on a sunny one!!!!!
    AA S200 .177 Hawke 3-9x50 ir, AA S400 .177 Walther 4-12x50 ir, Steyr LG100 FT .177 Barley Big Nikko, Hw 80 RWS 3-9x40,