Thread: New to air rifles...several ?'s

New to air rifles...several ?'s

Hi all,
    I'm a 10m pistol shooter considering a rifle to get me out of the house just to plink metal and paper targets at maybe 20 to 50 yards. I'm thinking of a HW50s or HW35E and looking for advice and suggestions; ? the difference between those two guns?. Is there a good quality co2 rifle (that uses cartridges - not bulk fill) that would suit my needs as well or better than a springer? Will the HW50s/35E be accurate out to 40 -50 yards? I've read about using the "artillery" hold; if done properly, can a springer really be consistently accurate?
    I'll add the I'm 6'1.5" tall, not super long arms but dress shirts are 34/35 sleeve. I was told that the hw 30 would be too small for me.
    Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

bump to top

Get the 50S in .177, fit the Vortek kit to it and enjoy the gun....in fact Tom at Vortek sells the 50S pre tuned
    http://vortekproducts.com/ourstore/Airgun%20tuning

new to rifles 50s or hw35e

I'd try both first if i were you, the 35 has a manual breech catch that takes a little getting used to & a much slower lock time(the time between pulling the trigger & the pellet leaving the muzzle) the 35 also has a good deal more lenth & weight which suits some more than others helping them get a steadier aim. That said I have both rifles & the 50s is my favorite, as accurate as my pcps easily.
    Last edited by junglie; 11-09-2013 at 07:54 PM.

Evening, I learnt to shoot with a HW35e in .177 some twenty three years ago and still have her, and I love her.

And to answer your question yes it will happily shoot to 50 yards.

Taking into account your height, that would steer me more towards the HW35.
    Lovely, classic Weihrauch.
    The manual breech latch isn't at all fiddly, is silent in operation, gives you massive confidence and just feels SO nice to use.
    The extra weight of this rifle also makes it settle on aim better.

However, if the budget allows, certainly have a look at the HW98.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Avoid CO2, there's nothing available that won't disappoint.
    The HW35 is a superb gun and should be plenty accurate for your needs. There has been a lot of talk recently about the quality of HW guns out of the box (I've suffered with this myself), so either buy a good old one or buy a new one and budget the money to have it properly tuned.

secretagentmole Guest
    Try the HW95 as well, has a reputation of being probably the best break barrel in the world.