Thread: Webley Experts

Webley Experts

Whilst chewing the cud with a local gunshop owner, he mentioned that he had an old Webley Catalogue (can't find it at the moment) that listed a Mark III model known as 'The Club'. This rifle, according to him, came in .177, Parker Hale 17B rear sight (standard rear sight near loading tap) and a ribbed stock.

Now I have a rifle that matches the above, serial number 26415 and I know from another collector who is 'clued up' that Mark III serial numbers are all over the place and bear little reference to age, ie., low number being early model.

What I would like to know is..... was there really a model known as 'The Club'?

Webley Mark 3 Club

I've got an old Webley catalogue from the 60's (I think). It describes the "supertarget club model 0.177". "It is constructed with a heavy barrel and is complete with six hole aperture sight, tunnel foresight on special ramp, and attachment to the stock to hold interchangeable foresight elements." However, the basic Mark 3 can be fitted with an aperture sight if ordered with the rifle. This looks like a single hole sight from the illustration. The model number for the six hole sight isn't specified in my catalogue.

Ian
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    I've got an old Webley catalogue from the 60's (I think). It describes the "supertarget club model 0.177". "It is constructed with a heavy barrel and is complete with six hole aperture sight, tunnel foresight on special ramp, and attachment to the stock to hold interchangeable foresight elements." However, the basic Mark 3 can be fitted with an aperture sight if ordered with the rifle. This looks like a single hole sight from the illustration. The model number for the six hole sight isn't specified in my catalogue.

Ian
    The 'Club' that he reckons is in his catalogue has the standard end sight, hence no need for the element holder.
    I only have a few reference books and none of them mention the Club.

Webley rifle

None of my books refer to the "club" either. The only other Mk 3 mentioned is the Supertarget, and this has the heavy barrel and micrometer sight with the name "Supertarget" on the gun. Maybe the name was changed for marketing reasons as there was already a BSA Airsporter "Club".

There is a mention in the Smiths Encyclopedia of the early/'50's MK3 with the factory fitting option of a Parker Hale PH-16M (plus photograph of the sight)

Webley MK3

Never heard of "The Club" model however I believe Slug Gun on here is doing a book on all the earlier Webley rifles so we may see something about it in that. I know I am eagerly awaiting its publication.

Of course the rifle you descibe Binners would be a 3rd series rifle and the Supertarget did not appear until much later so perhaps this is an earlier attempt by Webley to market a target version of the MK3.

I have a .22 2nd series MK3 to which I am thinking of adding a PH17B would that then confuse future collectors?
    Last edited by coburn; 04-03-2010 at 09:23 AM.

Webley rifle

Having read the threads again, maybe the word "club" is the problem. My catalogue uses the name "supertarget" for the gun. The addition of the word "club" could just be to describe where it is used, rather than the model name ie bell-target clubs which were often in pubs in the 60s.

There is some confusion here - there was not ever a Mk.3 called simply 'The Club'. Before the advent of the Mk.3 Supertarget proper, the rifle was, during the 1950's, advertised as being available as a 'Target Model', which was basically the .177 calibre rifle fitted with the earlier Parker Hale 16M aperture sight.

However, in Webley's "Export Trade Price List", dated May 1963, there is listed therein the "Super Match Club Model .177 with PH 17B Six hole Aperture Sight and FS 22A Tunnel Foresight", at a price of £16 14 0.
    I think this was just one marketing man's description of the gun at that time before the 'Supertarget' name was thought of a short time later.

The word 'Club' is also used in Webley's advertising as a reference to the use of the Mk.3 in the .177 calibre, which is perhaps another way in which the term has been coined as being an actual name given to the MK.3.

Reference my book mentioned, I was told today by a third party, ie not directly from the publisher, that the due date is the 31st July, at a price of £49.99 - I know, I know, I can't understand how they can do it so cheaply! If it had been up to me it would have been a lot more.

Anyway hope the above helps, if anyone can add anything I should be pleased to see it.

Webley rifle

If you send me your address by PM Peter I'll post you a photocopy of the relevant sections of the old Webley catalogue. I'm not sure of its date but I think around 1967 by the contents.

Ian

Thank you for the response.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by slug-gun View Post

Reference my book mentioned, I was told today by a third party, ie not directly from the publisher, that the due date is the 31st July, at a price of £49.99 - I know, I know, I can't understand how they can do it so cheaply! If it had been up to me it would have been a lot more.
    ... A copy here, too please, and if you don't mind, signed . Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    ... A copy here, too please, and if you don't mind, signed . Atb: G.
    Get back in the queue, I have 3 on order