Thread: Webley Experts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Webley Experts

Whilst chewing the cud with a local gunshop owner, he mentioned that he had an old Webley Catalogue (can't find it at the moment) that listed a Mark III model known as 'The Club'. This rifle, according to him, came in .177, Parker Hale 17B rear sight (standard rear sight near loading tap) and a ribbed stock.

Now I have a rifle that matches the above, serial number 26415 and I know from another collector who is 'clued up' that Mark III serial numbers are all over the place and bear little reference to age, ie., low number being early model.

What I would like to know is..... was there really a model known as 'The Club'?

Webley Mark 3 Club

I've got an old Webley catalogue from the 60's (I think). It describes the "supertarget club model 0.177". "It is constructed with a heavy barrel and is complete with six hole aperture sight, tunnel foresight on special ramp, and attachment to the stock to hold interchangeable foresight elements." However, the basic Mark 3 can be fitted with an aperture sight if ordered with the rifle. This looks like a single hole sight from the illustration. The model number for the six hole sight isn't specified in my catalogue.

Ian
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    I've got an old Webley catalogue from the 60's (I think). It describes the "supertarget club model 0.177". "It is constructed with a heavy barrel and is complete with six hole aperture sight, tunnel foresight on special ramp, and attachment to the stock to hold interchangeable foresight elements." However, the basic Mark 3 can be fitted with an aperture sight if ordered with the rifle. This looks like a single hole sight from the illustration. The model number for the six hole sight isn't specified in my catalogue.

Ian
    The 'Club' that he reckons is in his catalogue has the standard end sight, hence no need for the element holder.
    I only have a few reference books and none of them mention the Club.

Webley rifle

None of my books refer to the "club" either. The only other Mk 3 mentioned is the Supertarget, and this has the heavy barrel and micrometer sight with the name "Supertarget" on the gun. Maybe the name was changed for marketing reasons as there was already a BSA Airsporter "Club".
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

There is a mention in the Smiths Encyclopedia of the early/'50's MK3 with the factory fitting option of a Parker Hale PH-16M (plus photograph of the sight)

Webley MK3

Never heard of "The Club" model however I believe Slug Gun on here is doing a book on all the earlier Webley rifles so we may see something about it in that. I know I am eagerly awaiting its publication.

Of course the rifle you descibe Binners would be a 3rd series rifle and the Supertarget did not appear until much later so perhaps this is an earlier attempt by Webley to market a target version of the MK3.

I have a .22 2nd series MK3 to which I am thinking of adding a PH17B would that then confuse future collectors?
    Last edited by coburn; 04-03-2010 at 09:23 AM.