Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW85 information please lads (and any lasses)

HW85 information please lads (and any lasses)

i have agreed to buy a HW85K in .22 that from the photographs looks to be in good condition.

If anyone could advise if the following sounds ok or out of the ordinary then i'd be grateful.

1. The stock looks darker than usual Weihrauch but has no checkering and no cap on the pistol grip.
    2. it appears to have a black trigger and trigger adjustment screw.
    3. it does however have the raised scope rail of the hw85k

if its just ropey externally i will still buy it but send it to Vmach for a reblue, silencer fitting etc although i know that would make it a no go for any collectors out there should i ever come to sell it.

I used to have a Mk1 HW85, in .22, many moons ago, absolutely wonderful rifle, one of the best I have ever owned.

Not sure about the trigger being black, it may well have been...but then I don't remember it being gold either ...also, I don't think it had any chequering on the stock, but mine had been refinished by a previous owner so not sure of the colour...it did have a rasied scope rail though.
    blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by daveuk View Post
    i have agreed to buy a HW85K in .22 that from the photographs looks to be in good condition.

If anyone could advise if the following sounds ok or out of the ordinary then i'd be grateful.

1. The stock looks darker than usual Weihrauch but has no checkering and no cap on the pistol grip.

if its just ropey externally i will still buy it but send it to Vmach for a reblue, silencer fitting etc although i know that would make it a no go for any collectors out there should i ever come to sell it.
    I have 2 of these. I have what I beleive to be a .177 delux which has a very dark stock, pistol cap and checkering, also a .22 with custom stock. Neither has a blacked trigger or adjusting screw. Both have the raised scope rail though?

I think the std '85s were as you describe-with the exception of the trigger details you describe?

Dave

I have a 85 deluxe and the stock is a darker shade than most other hw's
    I have had... I think the trigger and screw may have been painted as they
    have always been silver as far as I know.

you wont want to sell it mate
    i think they are the best springers HW made
    the one with no chequering and shorter fore end is the standard model
    the de luxe has a stock like the 77 / i have one of those

Thanks very much for your help lads. i'm also guessing the trigger has been painted but i wont know until my Dad collects the rifle for me tomorrow evening. as for the stock. from what you are all saying, the standard model didnt come with checkered pistol grip so i'm happy with that. i posted the questions because i had a suspicion it may have been a hw85 action in a different Weihrauch stock.

Jonnyone has 2 of these rifles, richwilk has one and DCL_Dave said its one of the best rifles you've had. so i'm glad i've committed to buying one as its all positive info so far.

My next dilemma will be should i keep it original or treat it to a reblue and tune once i've sold a couple of my other rifles off.

Thanks again for all your help.

was just about to submit this then saw your post Mally. Thanks for the info. i'm now fairly confident that it is a standard HW85K that hasnt been ba5tardized. Unfortunately i wont get to see it in the flesh til i get home in May. i absolutely love my HW80k so if the HW85K is as great a rifle as that one then its defo off for a tune and reblue.

thanks fellas.

I've just sent mine to Steve Pope for the full work's after being on his list since last July,,this rifle imo was as good as the other favorite of mine the FWB Sport..I cant wait to get it back!

i had an 85 luxus in .177 which i still kick myself for selling.

Hi Dave
    i have a fully v-mach ed hw85
    wonderful to shoot its the only springer i have kept

it has the origional stock it is so comfortable it suits the rifle with the front being differant it ends before the front screw i did have the stock worked on though by Paul Wilson who inserted a rose wood end cap and extended the butt plate with exotic wood and end cap will put up pics later

like i say wonderful rifle smooth and quite rare

ATB

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    I have 2 of these. I have what I beleive to be a .177 delux which has a very dark stock, pistol cap and checkering, also a .22 with custom stock. Neither has a blacked trigger or adjusting screw. Both have the raised scope rail though?

I think the std '85s were as you describe-with the exception of the trigger details you describe?

Dave
    Hi Dave

The 0.22 is probably the one you got from me last year after living in my collection for 20 odd years, although saw a little service reducing the local rabbit population. As everyone agrees, one of the most delightful springers ever although I do have, as the most consistent rifle I have ever had, a Venom Sidewinder Compact which is outstanding and a HW95 screw cut 0.177 now sporting a 98 stock and a HW95 with muzzle weighted 0.22 barrel which I fettled recently and is the second most consistent rifle I have. Do I miss my 85? well yes; a bit; but a well sorted 95 is a worthy successor. Would I buy another 85 - hell YES!

Happy airgunning all, with whatever you prefer to shoot!

ATVB
    David
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!

Thanks alot for the extra input.
    richywilk - nice one mate, good for you. if you can remember could you drop me a PM when you get yours back to let me know your feedback on the work done?

bigchap - i'll let you know if i come across anymore for sale. unless its a luxus/deluxe in which case i'll be a selfish bugger.

rocketlauncher - You have given me confidence in the 85 by saying that its the only springer you kept, thats a BIG statement in itself. dont get me wrong, i'm in no doubt about Weihrauch rifles but i am HEAVILY biased to the HW80 so its good to know the 85 is also a great rifle.
    i've seen a photograph of the rifle i'm getting and the stock on that rifle too also ends before the screw so it all looks to be original from the pics. (apart from that black trigger)
    You have also made my mind up with regard to vmaching my rifle. i'll get it on Steves waiting list so i have time to sell some other rifles off to pay for the work. i am very much looking forward to seeing the pics of your 85.

Topdog - hi David, you too also say that the HW85 is a great smooth shooting rifle. i also have a sidewinder compact so when the 85 is vmached it will be interesting to shoot them side by side for a comparison.

...dont get me wrong, i'm in no doubt about Weihrauch rifles but i am HEAVILY biased to the HW80 so its good to know the 85 is also a great rifle.
    Hi Dave,

I had an 80 at the time too, always picked up the 85 first ...from what I can remember, the 85 was marketed as the lighter version of the 80??...maybe wrong though
    blah blah

Thanks Dave, now i AM looking forward to getting the rifle.
    You ARE right, the 85 was marketed as a lightweight alternative to the 80. it was a toss up between the two when i bought my 80 and the deciding factor was incase i ever decided to FAC it as at the time my Dad had an FAC as we were avid handgun shooters.

i paid £130 for that HW80K when i was only earning £2 an hour working at weekend mornings at a pub as a 14year old lad. the scope i put on it at the time was a tasco world class 3-9x40 that now sits on my HW77K and that cost me £100. every penny i earnt at that age went on shooting. i only found my more expensive interests (women) when i was much older. lol. (ps dont tell Rachel i said that, she'd cut them off)

i know i went off topic then but hey, collectors corner, nostalgia and all that.

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....
    Thanks very much for your help lads. i'm also guessing the trigger has been painted but i wont know until my Dad collects the rifle for me tomorrow evening. as for the stock. from what you are all saying, the standard model didnt come with checkered pistol grip so i'm happy with that. i posted the questions because i had a suspicion it may have been a hw85 action in a different Weihrauch stock.

Jonnyone has 2 of these rifles, richwilk has one and DCL_Dave said its one of the best rifles you've had. so i'm glad i've committed to buying one as its all positive info so far.

My next dilemma will be should i keep it original or treat it to a reblue and tune once i've sold a couple of my other rifles off.

Thanks again for all your help.

was just about to submit this then saw your post Mally. Thanks for the info. i'm now fairly confident that it is a standard HW85K that hasnt been ba5tardized. Unfortunately i wont get to see it in the flesh til i get home in May. i absolutely love my HW80k so if the HW85K is as great a rifle as that one then its defo off for a tune and reblue.

thanks fellas.

What are you planning to sell off this time Dave? Keep me posted...

Hope all is well out in the sand buddy, it's about time we got around to doing those beers in when you're back next.

ATB
    Paul
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Hiya Paul, good to hear from you.

i'll be selling a HW100 along with about half a dozen wooden stocked air arms/sussex armoury sidelevers. all in very good-excellent condition.
    i started an email to you the other day but didnt get chance to finish it.

all is well out here thanks mate. on a lockdown at minute due to elections so getting plenty of team training in.