Thread: How big are your nipples?!

How big are your nipples?!

Hi all, well I've taken the plunge and picked up a used Uberti 1858. Unfortunately my range is closed for maintanance for a few weeks so won't get to play with it for a little while.
    Have got a couple of questions if any of you guys can help.
    First, how much is a spare cylinder for one of these? Is it worth getting one? Does it have to be a Uberti or will other makes fit?
    Second, one of the nipples doesn't seem to screw in fully and there seems to be a sort of bobble on the internal thread. Does anyone know what the size / pitch of the thread is so I can get a tap to clean it out?

Thanks all, safe shooting

Keith
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our Police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future". Quote - Adolf Hitler, 1935.

Hi Keith,

I buy a replacement Uberti cylinder for 70,00 euro here in Holland,thats about 60.00/ 65.00 pounds.
    You can mail http://www.fusil-calais.com/ if they have them in stock,they ship to the U.K

Take no risk with shooting,once upon a time a guy have sold me a antique1858 with replacement glued in metric locktime,d nipples.
    That was not funny,believe me!

Quote Originally Posted by Forehand View Post
    Hi Keith,

I buy a replacement Uberti cylinder for 70,00 euro here in Holland,thats about 60.00/ 65.00 pounds.
    You can mail http://www.fusil-calais.com/ if they have them in stock,they ship to the U.K

Take no risk with shooting,once upon a time a guy have sold me a antique1858 with replacement glued in metric locktime,d nipples.
    That was not funny,believe me!
    Hi Forehand - thats a good link & wish I'd known they were there when I travelled back & forth to Antwerp when I lived over there !!

Keith

If you want a second cylinder - it has to go on ticket & the authories do not do so lightly

I have just got a Ruger Old Army with both its orginal Black Powder cylinder & a Nitro conversion cylinder & I had to explain my case for wanting them both

That said being able to shoot BP & Nitro is great !!

I can't see the point of two BP cylinders unless you are Clint Eastwood & need to make sure you have really shot the Bad Guy ??

Once you get into loading - you get quicker at it - make yourself a wooden gun stand - so you can have both hands free when loading - you will find it easier.

Cheers

Roy

Last edited by harricook; 05-03-2010 at 09:19 AM.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by harricook View Post

Keith

If you want a second cylinder - it has to go on ticket & the authories do not do so lightly

I have just got a Ruger Old Army with both its orginal Black Powder cylinder & a Nitro conversion cylinder & I had to explain my case for wanting them both

Roy

Roy, would that have been the case if BOTH were black powder cylinders?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Roy, would that have been the case if BOTH were black powder cylinders?

Jim
    Hi Jim

Yes - over here the 'spare cylinder' would occupy its own 'authority' on the Certificate

I suppose they are trying to control the 'fast loading handgun users !

Stupidly - I can have as many mags as I want (100 round too !) for my AR15 & no one bats an eyelid !

Cheers

Roy

Thanks gents.
    The spare cylinder was just incase it came in handy really, I tend to have lots of spare bits knocking about for all of my firearms. Seems like it is more trouble than it's worth!
    Are there any spare bits that you guys would recommend I keep (as I'm new to this BP lark!)?
    Have solved the problem with the nipples, there was a blob of some sort of gunk on the threads, bunged the cylinder up and filled with WD40 and left to soak for a couple of hours. The gunk just dropped off and all nipples seat properly now.
    Thanks again guys

Keith
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our Police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future". Quote - Adolf Hitler, 1935.

Hi Keith

I used to carry a set of spares for my Pietta Remington (hand, springs, screws etc) - but never used them

Keep a spare set of nipples - they (if anything) are the likeliest thing to let you down (trouble getting caps seated if they get 'peened' over slightly)

Put the nipples in with a little CopperEase

Keep the gun clean & in good order & you should not really need much else in the way of hardware - after that it just consumables

Is it a blued or stainless gun ?

Cheers

Roy

Thanks Roy, good to know these replicas are prettty well made.
    I'll pick up a spare set of nipples next time I'm in the club shop and leave them in my bag (getting bloody heavy these days!).
    The gun I picked up is a blued version, did have my eye on a stainless one but this was quite a bit cheaper and will do for now, while I'm getting the hang of this BP lark.
    Thanks again everyone, your advice is very much appreciated

Keith

Got a couple more daft questions - will be the last for now!
    Is there a specific size nipple I want? Is it better to get stainless ones fir ease of cleaning? I'm not fussed how it looks!
    Cheers
    Keith

You can get a nipple key and six nipples 'for italian revolvers' for about £20. I've got this and found that the niples fit the cylinders, but my usual size 11 caps are too large and fall off. So, just be aware if you do have a second set that you also carry caps (my guess is size 10) to fit.

McT

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by harricook View Post
    Hi Jim

Yes - over here the 'spare cylinder' would occupy its own 'authority' on the Certificate

I suppose they are trying to control the 'fast loading handgun users !

Stupidly - I can have as many mags as I want (100 round too !) for my AR15 & no one bats an eyelid !

Cheers

Roy
    They must have sen thaqt Clint Eastwood movie, and gotten concerned.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Hey Jim

I have watched that clip over & over again & am still envious as to how easy that bugger Clint makes that cylinder swap look !!

Roy