Thread: history book

history book

took up airpistol a year ago and am now completely hooked!
    does anyone know a really good history of the airgun starting
    at the beginning and coming up to date? the only books i have
    found so far are more catalogues like the blue book. something
    about the technical development would be very interesting.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Here is one on Webley which may interest you: http://www.eden.co.uk/shop/webley-ai...s-1549875.html and am sure a few of the good guys will be along in a moment with a few further read leads etc, too . Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

A couple come to mind:
    Air-guns and air-pistols by Wesley. Good account but does not come upto present day.
    Gas Air and spring guns of the world by W H R Smith: good account but ends around the late 50s. Paperback version sometimes comes up on the auction site.
    Hillers books are good but, like the Blue Book, might be more of a catalogue.

Cheers, Phil

Gordon Bruce's book on the Webley Air pistol covers a lot of the development of Webleys, whilst 'The Encyclopedia Of Spring Air Pistols' by John Griffiths is the most up to date book on the subject, covering the majority of known spring Air Pistols, worldwide.
    Dennis Hiller's Air Pistol books contain a lot of information, as does John Walter's 'The Airgun Book', which is published in four editions.
    If you want to get technical, 'The Airgun from Trigger to Target. by G.V & G.M.Cardew could be of interest, along with 'Air Guns & Air Pistols' by L.Wesley.
    There are other titles available, particularly from the USA, but those listed above are a good selection, if you can find them, as all are out of print, including the reprint of Bruce's book.
    Smith's ' Gas air & Spring Guns Of The World' is worth getting hold of, although as said above, it doesn't cover anything produced in the last 60 odd years.
    Last edited by Troubledshooter; 05-03-2010 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Grammar

if you want info about Weihrauch pieces, pm. IJ, the 'Oracle' on these quality airarms. Garvin knows a bit about HW's as well!
    Last edited by Herpquest; 05-03-2010 at 07:17 PM.
    Demic, miserable, grumpy old git! Feinwerkbau Sport Appreciation Society.
    I don't mind what sexual, religious or political persuasion you are, just don't impose them on me!!

The Airgun Digests are worth getting, I like Wesley's book, Smiths is good

Blue Book of Air Guns (Beeman)
    The Airgun book (Walter)
    Gas Spring and Air Guns of the World (Smith)The Encyclopedia of spring Air Pistols (Griffiths)
    Webley Air Pistols (Bruce)
    Airpistols (Hiller)

Im collect air pistols and these are my major reference works, if you want more details please PM or whatever for ISBN and other places I go but please note, the most useful are generally out of print.

Welcome to the anoraks!!!!!!!!!!!!

lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .