Thread: fwb sport info please

fwb sport info please

could any of you knowledgable guys tell me a few things about the fwb sports. just bought a 124 and 127 and would like to get them to be at there best.

what is standard length/ coil thicknes and number of coils on a standard spring for the 124 and 127? do they both have different springs

one has a leather breech seal. i think its the 124 but will check. can these be replaced with synthetic seals? are the 124 and 127 the same size seals?

should there be a shim on either side of the breech block? one side is has a metal face the other has a rubber bush

the trigger is touching on the stock slighlty can it be stripped and shimmed to stop it doing this as it is over to one side slightly

also do any tuners beside maccari do kits for these and are they worth buying? or even just a shorter thicker spring to lessen pre load and a different piston seal? or can they be made smooth with the original parts

havent had chance to strip them yet but will be doing very soon as i do with all guns i buy.

sorry for all the questions( reads more like an essay) and thanks in and thanks in advance for the answers

atvb

dave
    tx200hc mk3 v-mached s400k in tawnado stock tuned qb78dlx hw100kt

THIS may be of use.

The shims should be dished and flat and Ive never seen a 'Sport with a leather piston seal.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

could be that is is just a discoloured standard one. just had a quick inspection and it looked like leather. probably just me being a fool. mine has a metal on one side dished on the other i think. what are these made out of?

Dave Hall at Shotmaster tuning did a tune on my 124 and it came back
    a different gun... fantastic

ive emailed him but he hasnt got back to me yet has he stopped tuning? does he sell the kits for the owner to fit themselves

Quote Originally Posted by hollow-point View Post
    ive emailed him but he hasnt got back to me yet has he stopped tuning? does he sell the kits for the owner to fit themselves
    Phone Dave on his landline between 9am and 5pm weekdays, he is still tuning but has a habit of not reading e-mails and forum posts. He doesn't market the kits he designed, but will tell you who does his kits now.
    If you want your FWB's to operate at optimum, get them to Dave, best in the business with springers in my opinion!
    You will find his tel.no. on his web page. Shotmastertuning.co.uk

ATB Eric
    Demic, miserable, grumpy old git! Feinwerkbau Sport Appreciation Society.
    I don't mind what sexual, religious or political persuasion you are, just don't impose them on me!!

keith66 is online now Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    Having just put a Maccari kit in mine it has transformed it. The standard spring has hellish preload & accompanying recoil, its now much smoother.

Maccari kits rock (buy a pot of the tar and lube at the same time). Sports are on the whole are easy to work on (spring compressor aside) and not too much to do. Don't know his work but I'm sure Dave will do a lovely job. Either way worth doing and then you will have a lovely smooth machine.

Woodwork wise I've yet to see a stripped stock done well. I'm sure there is a way and would be interested if anyone has made one look really good. After market ones can be found but are quite expensive compared to the rifle.

The steel holds a lovely blue and can be revived as good as new with a reblue.

Triggers vary a bit and can be improve a little but need someone who knows what they are doing and not every one does. I've never had a really bad one and after a good clean and relube have always come out fine.

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by hollow-point View Post
    could any of you knowledgable guys tell me a few things about the fwb sports. just bought a 124 and 127 and would like to get them to be at there best.

what is standard length/ coil thicknes and number of coils on a standard spring for the 124 and 127? do they both have different springs

one has a leather breech seal. i think its the 124 but will check. can these be replaced with synthetic seals? are the 124 and 127 the same size seals?

should there be a shim on either side of the breech block? one side is has a metal face the other has a rubber bush

the trigger is touching on the stock slighlty can it be stripped and shimmed to stop it doing this as it is over to one side slightly

also do any tuners beside maccari do kits for these and are they worth buying? or even just a shorter thicker spring to lessen pre load and a different piston seal? or can they be made smooth with the original parts

havent had chance to strip them yet but will be doing very soon as i do with all guns i buy.

sorry for all the questions( reads more like an essay) and thanks in and thanks in advance for the answers

atvb

dave
    the standard spring has 40 coils and is 12 1/2 inches long
    never seen one with leather seals / they are synthetic
    i myself prefer the original spring as the cocking effort goes up with shorter stiffer ones
    if the trigger is ally it could have been bent at some point during a clumsy strip down
    strangely i have never seen a broken plastic trigger but a few ally ones
    good luck with the sports / best springers ever made i think

When Dave tuned mine he got it running at 11.4fp with a 27 coil spring!!