Thread: Looking for a Flintlock

Looking for a Flintlock

Hi all,

I'm looking for a smoothbore flint lock pistol for 'in spirit of the original' target shooting. Not desperate for anything in particular - happy to consider almost anything in reasonable condition.

I've got space on my ticket for .45 but happy to get a one off one on variation as necessary.

Cheers
    Alan

Flintlock pistol

Hi Alan
    If you dont get anybody offing you a secondhand pistol try Gary Bate of Derbyshire Arms he gets them in from India for the reinactors but are proof loaded at Birmingham I have a couple a .62 and .66 they are proofed to 90grains of Swiss #1

I know this will draw comments from at least one of my fellow club members they do hit a target at 20meters with 20 grains of medium BP

Cheers
    Nigel

What's the quality of the Indian stuff like now Nigel?

When I bought an Indian made Baker rifle from Kranks some years back, the quality was appalling and I vowed never to buy an Indian gun again. I'd be happy to reconsider if they've improved though.

Steve.

Thanks Nigel,

If I get no joy on the second hand market I will probably get a new one through Kranks - seem to be a choice in the £200-£400 range.

Ideally I'd prefer a secondhand one - so won't rush in too quickly.

Cheers
    Alan

Indian Flintlocks

Hi Steve

From what I have gathered from Gary is that there are two manufactures in India who make replica weapons for the European and US market. A Brown Bess I bought from Peter Starley was made by one and the barrel has a hard bright finish somewhat chrome like.

The pistols are from the other company and do not have such a finish just polished metal. These guns are hand made, so parts are not always interchangeable.

The finish on the woodwork is basic and acceptable but not outstanding (probable just like a military issued gun would have been). One of the guys at the club has offered to fine the woodwork away for me around the lock and trigger guard, as I don’t have that level of skill I am going to take him up on it.

The lock is very stiff on the 0.62 and OK on the 0.66. Sadly I exchanged my original 0.62 for this current one as we found a slight casting flaw in the lock plate.

I would like to see if the 0.62's lock can be timed. Again I am not skilled at lock adjustments and have been warned that one file stroke too many can turn a lock from being a bit stiff to a hair trigger.

I paid £185 for the 0.62 and £180 for the 0.66 - a redundancy/retirement present to myself. We had looked at some Perdisolli pistols at Fenland Rural Sports and at Peter Starley's but to be honest after discussing it with my wife; for the level of shooting I am at, the difference in cost and the not so perfect finish of the Perdisoli guns I elected to by two Indian pistols rather than half a Perdisoli.

I am waiting for my local metal workshop to run some trials on a steel tube using Plum Brown so they get the hang of it before they give my guns a brown coating.

Gary has been advising the Indian company as to designs etc and when I last spoke to him they where intending to produce a Baker rifle some time this spring.

If you are into match locks he makes them on the premises.

Cheers
    Nigel