Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please recommend me a classic break barrel.....

Please recommend me a classic break barrel.....

......I have recently been considering obtaining a well made mid size/power break barrel and had thought a new HW30s would do the trick. I want this for me to play with now but with the intention that it becomes my sons training rifle several years from now.

Then I thought why not consider an older classic alternative So how about it collectors corner, what would you advise

Cheers Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

A BSA Mercury would be a good option mate

Not a bad option.....

...as a Mercury Challenger Carbine was my first rifle but perhaps a little mansized. Are the older BSA Meteors better made than the current production model?

MK1 Meteors are well made. BSA skimped on the later models. You could also try a Supersport. I'm a bit BSA biased though - i'm sure others will have plenty of ideas

Webley Vulcan, excellent build quality and very reliable and accurate.

rgds
    kenny

I love the meteor,but a webley Hawk ,was a smashin gun..even interchangable barrells on the mk1...boy size, but harder to find though..
    TIM
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows...

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    ......I have recently been considering obtaining a well made mid size/power break barrel and had thought a new HW30s would do the trick. I want this for me to play with now but with the intention that it becomes my sons training rifle several years from now.

Then I thought why not consider an older classic alternative So how about it collectors corner, what would you advise

Cheers Rich.
    Hi
    As others have said BSA Mercury or a Webley Vulcan are excellent but another i would throw in the ring would be a RWS 38 in 177 a real brut as most RWS stuff is.
    cheers
    P

Quote Originally Posted by hookerball View Post
    Hi
    As others have said BSA Mercury or a Webley Vulcan are excellent but another i would throw in the ring would be a RWS 38 in 177 a real brut as most RWS stuff is.
    cheers
    P
    hi
    bsa cadet major great little rifles

webley falcon in .22

A MK1 Weihrauch HW80 - in 0.177

Quote Originally Posted by airpowerd1a View Post
    hi
    bsa cadet major great little rifles
    the best

edbear2 Guest
    If you want to go back a bit further.......a 1930's BSA model.......the daddy of the Major/meteor range

Looks like this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...7607860743867/

Plan for the future generation

I have to agree that the BSA Cadet Major is a super juvenile gun, and I have taught my grandsons how to shoot using one. Only available in 0.177 so a bit fiddly for a youngster. Every collection should have one.
    The Mercury is more of a full size gun and is available in both calibres, so is more serious to a young mind. Have been known to creep up to 12 ft.lbs and I think rather overlooked and undervalued at present.
    Alternatively, grab a piece of history and look out for a Birmingham Webley Longbow.

I can't make up my mind which is best, so have ended up with all three !!
    David
    Last edited by david9d; 07-03-2010 at 05:32 PM. Reason: spelling !
    Old Dog Learning New Tricks

www.lomil.co.uk

classic break barrel

Go for a 2nd hand HW 50s, light accurate & easy to cock ( like a baby HW80),or a new HW 99s, very similar gun.

Thanks, some good suggestions here.....

.....but a lot are what I would class as full or near full sized rifles. Perhaps I am really after a small/mid sized rifle (no bigger than a meteor really, perhaps smaller). So lets say that for BSA we have a Meteor or Cadet. What are the equivalent models for the following makers?......

HW
    RWS/Diana
    Webley
    etc

I should never have sold on the BBS the Baikal I bought from our illustrious sponsor. It would have been an ideal size

Still really old as suggested below is starting to appeal........

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    If you want to go back a bit further.......a 1930's BSA model.......the daddy of the Major/meteor range
    ......as I may be moving nearer Bisley and could try some vintage bell target type shooting