Thread: diana 38

diana 38

i have bought what the previous owner advertised as a model 36,having squinted at the name/ model stamp(scope is in the way!)i'm 99% sure it has 'model 38',what i have looks identical to the rws/diana 350 magnum ....
    http://www.diana-airguns.de/index.ph...024&height=768
    mine also has 'made in west germany' stamped on the air chamber above the trigger.
    can anyone tell me if the 38 was renamed as the 350?

Mate
    becareful looks like a FAC model
    Great rifles though, they make.
    Enjoy resonsilble.

Quote Originally Posted by hookerball View Post
    Mate
    becareful looks like a FAC model
    Great rifles though, they make.
    Enjoy resonsilble.
    the 350 magnum is,only available in the usa(could be wrong on that)the rifle i have is defo a 12fpe model
    are today's diana's still stamped with 'made in west germany' on the chamber?
    could it be a pre 1989 model?

'38

Hiya Weeb,
    just posted on your other thread on this subject as you initially thought this was a 36?

Anyhow, the 38 from what I recall was the replacement in the late 80s-but probably more likely very early 90s of the Diana/Original 45. It wasnt as popular as the 45 and I am proud to say that I had the very last '38 out of Ruag stores, via BAR. The '38 was also produced in the "Firebird" brand/line of Dianas signified by a gold medal inlaid in the base of the pistol grip. There was also a 34 and 52 in the same line.

It very likely you have a 38- but it shouldnt be that hard to make out the numbering to the top of the cylinder? Also on the cheekpiece side of the rifle, on the tail end of the action near the safety catch you should find some very small numbers indicating the month and year of manufacture, This may help with ID as well.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    Hiya Weeb,
    just posted on your other thread on this subject as you initially thought this was a 36?

Anyhow, the 38 from what I recall was the replacement in the late 80s-but probably more likely very early 90s of the Diana/Original 45. It wasnt as popular as the 45 and I am proud to say that I had the very last '38 out of Ruag stores, via BAR. The '38 was also produced in the "Firebird" brand/line of Dianas signified by a gold medal inlaid in the base of the pistol grip. There was also a 34 and 52 in the same line.

It very likely you have a 38- but it shouldnt be that hard to make out the numbering to the top of the cylinder? Also on the cheekpiece side of the rifle, on the tail end of the action near the safety catch you should find some very small numbers indicating the month and year of manufacture, This may help with ID as well.

Dave
    cheers jonnyone,mine has a gold medal thing in the pistol grip,will look tomorrow at the date numbers etc,bloke i bought it from advertised it as a 36 which is what threw me a little as the stock is a different shape from a mod 36,still it's all sorted now eh!
    it was made 04 1990 (stamped very small 04 90)
    Last edited by weebster; 09-03-2010 at 11:28 PM.

In the 1987 edition of Walter's Airgun Book, the Diana 38 (introduced spring 1986) is described as basically being a deluxe 36 - maybe that is how the seller has been confused? The 38 is described as having a separate scope rail instead of just grooves in the air cylinder and a slightly better stock, walnut instead of beech.

Yours looks like it has had a further redesign to the stock compared to the original design, with an extended fore-end. The ones illustrated in the book (the 28, 36 and 38, which were the range introduced in 1986) all have stocks which end short of the front of the air cylinder, but they do all have cheekpieces as well. The slightly earlier (1984) range of Dianas - 24, 26 and 34 - ranged from junior to adult size, full power but all had a plain stock with a straight comb, no cheekpiece and no buttplate.

Iain

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    That's a model 38 from the 'firebird' range
    Choked barrel, so don't carbine it, good trigger.
    Watch out for barrel tension, it can need nipping up, and will affect accuracy if not spot on, much like on hw35s -
    cheers for that,i have no intention of chopping the barrel ,i much prefer it as it is,not bad for £65 squid