Thread: A step for a hint?

A step for a hint?

Hello gents,

I realise this is the collectors section for airguns but I offered to ask the question and you guys are indeed a knowledgeable lot.

Could someone give me some information on the following please;

It's a small starting pistol. 120mm long x 90mm high. Marked MA.RI. 320 Made in Italy. Fold down flap at muzzle and fold down flap at rear. It operates on what I can only describe as a "tube train system " with a 'carriage' of 5 blanks entering at the front, passing horizontally through the gun and ejecting out the back. Calibre is bigger than 0.22 but smaller than 0.380; it must be pretty close to 8mm. What calibre is it and are blanks still available for it?. All steel with plastic grips. It's actually a pretty well made wee beastie.

On the underside of the grip there is a 30mmx1mmx1mm steel 'toothpick' thingy that folds out but doesn't appear to do much else other than fold back in again . What's that all about?? Could it be it's not actually a starting pistol but a gun shaped toothpick ??

Any information gratefully accepted.

Thanks folks.
    The 0.22 Treefeller X X2R HW77k
    Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Its a rimfire blank gun for starting school races in the pre-PC era. Might take the 8mm rimfire blanks but difficult to say without a picture.

Harmless unless swallowed. Well, it is noisy if fired but that is unlikely now. Sell or give to a stage-school or theatre company if you do not want to keep it.

The toothpick is most likely for pushing the blanks out of the blank-holder once fired. They expand a little and won't fall out without a prod.

Blank firer

THE 320 PROBABLY MEANS .32CAL. Jenny Dipple

Thank you folks.

The toothpick makes perfect sense when someone points out the obvious D'oh.

Blank firer

Any chance of some pics. thanks Jenny Dipple

One of those,
    was the start of one of my best ever 100 yards races ever, not the toothpick, the gun!

Fond Memories indeed (but I do still carry a small scar on my left buttock) shall I show you?

*PICTURE REMOVED BY GARETH W-B

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Dipple View Post
    Any chance of some pics. thanks Jenny Dipple
    pm sent

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Johnstone View Post
    ....Fond Memories indeed (but I do still carry a small scar on my left buttock) shall I show you?
    Think I'll pass on that one thanks Ian
    Reminds me of that bit in Forrest Gump

My favourite maths teacher, Mr Metcalfe-Pike of Sharmans Cross School, used to start our races on sports day with his blank-firing Smith & Wesson replica. What a character. Those were the days!