Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walther LP 53

I live just off the M27 outside Southampton.

Walther LP 53

Good day to the experts. I have an LP53, the finish had worn off the barrel by my bad handling in the past. A gun shop sprayed it with black paint which is now coming off in flakes. Do you know what metal the barrel is made of, and if there is a better way of making it presentable? Any help would be appreciated. Pete

Powder coating or prime with acid 8 then top coat with satin black - I did the latter on a predom ( copy ) and it came up very well indeed .

hth

Dave
    ]Never explain. Your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe it anyway. ~ Elbert Hubbard[

My LP53 has a blued barrel and a crackled receiver finish

Have the barrel reblued properly, if you paint it you'll devalue it by 50%

Richard
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Very prone to this. What I did was remove all old paint and crud from the barrel unit degreased and then polished it. So you then have your James Bond gun with a silver barrel unit looking very impressive.
    I was going to paint it but it looks so good I just keep it oiled and polished! Obviously you can paint it as and when.
    And before anyone starts its my gun so.......

Its Made of an aluminium alloy I had one and was told that the best thing to do is get some aluminium blacking compound I think C&H Weston do it but apparently you must first rub all of the finish of the barrel with wire wool make it all nice and shiny then rub the compound on and let it do its work. I got some but never had the guts to do it apparently the end result is to bring it up like new.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingplinker View Post
    Powder coating or prime with acid 8 then top coat with satin black - I did the latter on a predom ( copy ) and it came up very well indeed .

hth

Dave
    The pardom has an all steel barrel and frame the walther is a steel barrel coverd with an alloy shroud and frame paint will not stick to alloy so it tends to chip or peal off easily.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Very prone to this. What I did was remove all old paint and crud from the barrel unit degreased and then polished it. So you then have your James Bond gun with a silver barrel unit looking very impressive.
    I was going to paint it but it looks so good I just keep it oiled and polished! Obviously you can paint it as and when.
    And before anyone starts its my gun so.......
    My son has done the same with a cheap Mondial Zap. Shines like a new pin now, and looks like an expensive 'Special' with stained and oiled wooden grips.
    Demic, miserable, grumpy old git! Feinwerkbau Sport Appreciation Society.
    I don't mind what sexual, religious or political persuasion you are, just don't impose them on me!!

One I made earlier

]Never explain. Your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe it anyway. ~ Elbert Hubbard[

I live just off the M27 outside Southampton.
    Thank you all for your reply. I now have a number ideas to follow. Pete

Quote Originally Posted by beagle2 View Post
    The pardom has an all steel barrel and frame the walther is a steel barrel coverd with an alloy shroud and frame paint will not stick to alloy so it tends to chip or peal off easily.

Yeah but what about a PREDOM

Kingplinker. Just did barrel unit on mine goes well with rest of crackle finish. Beagle.You are right and so I dont need to worry about rust. Should have checked for self but assumed steel.

Quote Originally Posted by beagle2 View Post
    Its Made of an aluminium alloy
    Mines made of steel

As is the mint boxed one I'm looking at now
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    Mines made of steel

As is the mint boxed one I'm looking at now
    NO ITS NOT IM SORRY BUT YOU ARE WRONG.

If you do not believe me ask this guy he sold me my first one LP53 pistol there is not much that he dose not no about them pennineway.fswo .The first ones they made with the ducks head breech end we're coated with shiny black on the frame and blacked barrels but they had problems with the finish on the alloy castings for the frame having marks in them so they did the crinkled finish to hide the marks.

Magnets at 20 paces then chaps?

Lp53

Like beagle2 says: Alloy casting, steel liner

A magnet will be attracted to a LP53 barrel as the rifled liner is steel

The barrel and breech block are manufactured from an aluminium alloy casting

It can be refinished by polishing it to mirror finish and using an aluminium blacking chemical available from Chambers

John
    hold me back !!