Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Relum Tornado Refurbish

me and a friend used to have games of 'war' when we were kids,he had a relum tornado and i used my crossbow.unbelievably we used to shoot at each other with them.i've still got the mark on my head where a pellet hit me and bounced off and then dented the vw camper behind me!
    sorry to go o/t.

Ashington-Northumberland-The PROPER North East!
    Update......

A 2 day fully working refurb......

Managed to get it stripped, de-rusted and sprayed yesterday and after gaining more permission today I returned home and cracked on with the refurb/rebuild.

Stripped to bare metal & sealed with anti rust.....

primed....

painted....

I decided to remove the iron sights and it is now adorned with a Hawke 3-9x40MAP scope which I had lying about

So we have.......

THE FINISHED RIFLE

I'm yet to take it out to get zeroed but I've fired a few pellets into an old benchtop and it's working. Gonna take it to the gun shop at next available opportunity and get it chronoed and will post the results accordingly.....

Once again a BIGthanks to Bry aka Robbo and I hope he's pleased with the way it's turned out!

Darryl

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    It is actually much nicer looking than when it left the factory, never mind the allotment.

The big scope suits its butch lines much better than the 4x20 or 4x15 that was usually fitted to this model.

Jolly well done!

Beautiful work Darryl and a great thread ,made for great reading
    Many Thanks
    Good Deals with Mikewaring, ggggr, watchsapart, Majex45, Nhill, zebedee71,Eredel,Hawksthorn,Red Bob, Stanbridge,Barrow_Matt,Mr.Fixit-Norm, turbo33 .atb thankyou all Neil

Cheers guys....the proof of the pudding will be when I get it down the zeroing range and when it makes its "first" after refurb kill

Darryl

N1

Great Job

Look forward to the update

Thumbs up Nice job mate

Oh yes another one lives to tell the tale & rattle another dustbin! Well done on a good job atvb Paul

Update....

Managed to get to the rifle shop after work today to get it chronoed.....

It was tested with 5 shots using 5.5mm RWS Superdomes at 14.5gr

Here's the figures....

FPS
    1. 575
    2. 571
    3. 569
    4. 580
    5. 577

average of 574.4 which makes the power 10.63lbs/ft

Happy with that for the age of the rifle, I could take the power closer to the mid 11's by fitting a new spring but I don't think it's worth it

Next step is to zero it at 25M and see what groups it gives.... I'll keep you posted!

Darryl

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    That really is good going for a Tornado. Please post some pics of your test groups when you have them.

Hi Darryl
    are those chrono figures from the original spring put back or was it one you had around?
    Good Deals with Mikewaring, ggggr, watchsapart, Majex45, Nhill, zebedee71,Eredel,Hawksthorn,Red Bob, Stanbridge,Barrow_Matt,Mr.Fixit-Norm, turbo33 .atb thankyou all Neil

Rebuilt using the original twin spring setup but the internals were polished and the leather seal replenished using lithium grease

Darryl

Could you tell us which paint you used? I'd also be interested in whether you kept the original springs or ditched them in favour of a Meteor job.

Great thread: many thanks.

P

Quote Originally Posted by Pimpernel View Post
    Could you tell us which paint you used? I'd also be interested in whether you kept the original springs or ditched them in favour of a Meteor job.

Great thread: many thanks.

P
    Giving my trade secrets away mate....surely not

Kept original springs as posted above, the paint used is Plastikote Enamel grey primer and Plastikote BBQ paint believe it or not!

3 coats of each sanded with 1200 grit between coats

Darryl

Thanks for that. Sorry I've taken so long to reply. Interesting that you used lithium grease on the seal: I've heard all sorts, from neatsfoot to SM50.

Anyway, thanks for you reply.

P

That is one great restoration job ! The shooting god would be proud of such dedication being spent on an old and previously unloved example of Relums finest. Well done that man. It looks fantastic.
    Andy