Thread: Ball or bullet Ruger Old Army

Ball or bullet Ruger Old Army

I know 'Cast Bullits' a American web site have covered this but what experiences do UK shooters have? It it worth buying a mold from JJ Tanner. He did an excellent one for my Brown Bess. Is a belted ball better than a standard one?
    Do you use pure lead

AFAIK, belted balls are for two groove rifling like the Brunswick.

Lee do a conical bullet mould especially for the ROA (456-220-IR)
    There is a slight taper on the rear end so that you can sit them in the cylinder before ramming them home. Its very cheap so you can buy and try to compare against round ball.

Have tried bullets in my Ruger and although they shoot ok i found they shoot about 4" higher than ball and are fiddly to load. Tend to stick to balls only now. Tim

I used an RCBS ball mold & used wheel weights for my Old Army.

Talking

I have experimented with my new ROA, it is fantastic and much more accurate than than the 9mm I used in the TA. Bullets are more accurate but are fiddly to load. I am not bothering with wads. I do have a problem with the bullets/ball migrating to the top of the cyclinder under recoil and jamming the cylinder. Any one got a cure?
    I think that we are being ripped off with precussion caps as I only pay 4 p for a shotgun primer and they are more complex and have more materials than the precussion cap which costs 5 p.

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    Have tried bullets in my Ruger and although they shoot ok i found they shoot about 4" higher than ball and are fiddly to load. Tend to stick to balls only now. Tim
    Agreed 100%. They shoot higher as bullets have more recoil than balls. Grouping/Accuracy is about the same foe either. I have a mould for both ball & bullet, but tend to shoot balls only.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcytul View Post
    I used an RCBS ball mold & used wheel weights for my Old Army.
    Ive asked around a few garages, most seem to be made of zinc these days. I get roofing lead reclaimed by builders.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

Rob,

What bullets are you using? I was given some for mine which were parallel sided apart from the pointy end and they were fiddly to load. The Lee mould however casts a slight taper to the back end and this allows them to 'start' in the cylinder before being rammed home.

I think that if your bullets are moving forward under recoil, then they are possible a little undersize. If they are tight in the cylinder and shaving lead as they are rammed, then they shouldn't move.

Steve.

Not too far off topic, but have you seen this loading tool?

http://www.sixgunforfun.com/

I'm sure someone in my club has one, but I've emailed twice but no reply.

Quote Originally Posted by steve medlock View Post
    Not too far off topic, but have you seen this loading tool?

http://www.sixgunforfun.com/

I'm sure someone in my club has one, but I've emailed twice but no reply.

Apologies to the OP for moving the thread direction !!

Hey Steve

I've got one - what do you want to know ?

Email (in profile) if you want to keep it off thread

Cheers

Roy

What bullets are you using?

Thanks Steve for your reply, they are from a Lee mold. There are lead shavings on starting the bullet into the cylinder, but the bullet diameter is inconsistant. perhaps I should weigh them. I must admit I really, really,really enjoyed using the thing. I have never had a handgun before.