Thread: Feinwerkbau Sport

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Feinwerkbau Sport

It wont come as any surprise to any readers of this thread that know me that I will once again soon be the owner of what I personally consider to be the epitome of "real" classic sporting airguns, the Feinwerkbau Sport.
    Maybe it is a condition of my ever advancing years that modern break barrel springers, and under levers for that matter, dont seem to have the same "pick me up and shoot me" effect that this classic example of quality German engineering does. Everything just seems to be in the right place on the Sport.
    I look forward to using the gun both in the field and on the indoor/outdoor ranges and have always found the gun to be an ideal companion,whatever the shooting scenario.
    My question is, can you identify just what feature(or lack of) features it is that makes any particular classic gun your favourite for no apparent reason?
    Andy

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Two pence!

The Feinwerkbau Sport has many virtues.

1. Light and easy to cock.
    2. Well-balanced, 'pointable'.
    3. Engineering quality on the whole is really first-class. Look down the barrel and see the superb rifling, or look at the inside of the compression chamber and the way the piston is made. Really high quality on a production springer.
    4. A simple and elegant design of both action and stock, no fussiness or pretention.
    5. Designed to produce the UK limit in terms of power with great efficiency, without bulky 'spare capacity' (c/w HW80!)
    6. It has a great 'feel' about it, easy to get on the rythmn of loading, bringing to aim and loosing off a shot. Undelevers feel very clunky in comparison and HW break-barrels feel overbuilt and agricultural.

Of course there are several defects of the marque, but they are minor and correctable (get one of the new precision engineered triggers from Maccari!). No other rifle has the combination of the above virtues, even now.

Another rifle with that pick-up-and-shoot feel about it is the HW30S or Beeman R7 in the US. It is about 1lb lighter than the FWB Sport but it develops far less power and is not made to the same level of finish as the Sport, although it may last longer before needing attention.

Another rifle that is a pleasure to shoot is the BSA Mercury-S, this is light, very well balanced and comes up to aim effortlessly.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 17-03-2010 at 07:30 AM.

I well remember a mate of mine buying a brand new Mercury S and being impressed with it then. I havent even set eyes on one for thirty years but seem to remember the gun sporting a walnut stock and being very well balanced. Maybe another gun for consideration in the apparently ever expanding classic collection I think.
    I reckon that the Maccari/Sport trigger mod sounds like a good idea as well. Will check out the website. Thanks for your comments. Andy

Well, I'm bound to say it: the Mk1/11 Airsporter.

1) The best looking springer ever. (Beats the prosport in my view for balanced looks.)
    2) Solid British engineering
    3) One of the safest loading mechanisms ever.
    4) Very quick loading courtesy of the auto tap.
    5) The gun we all lusted after - before the Germans invaded the British market.
    6) No plastic bits.
    etc.
    etc.
    etc.

I like the Sport but it has been over-hyped on here and in consequence is usually over-priced as well.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    Well, I'm bound to say it: the Mk1/11 Airsporter.

1) The best looking springer ever. (Beats the prosport in my view for balanced looks.)
    2) Solid British engineering
    3) One of the safest loading mechanisms ever.
    4) Very quick loading courtesy of the auto tap.
    5) The gun we all lusted after - before the Germans invaded the British market.
    6) No plastic bits.
    etc.
    etc.
    etc.
    Ditto........plus one of the best "pointable" guns ever, with a real solid feel......Can't explain it really, It just feels "right"

Fwb

I am with HSING-EE on this one I was shooting my 124 at the weekend and then tried my 80, after the Sport the 80 felt bulky and flicking the safety off seamed a pain compared to the safety on the FWB.

I chronoed both 11 ftlbs for the Sport, 11.8ftlbs for the 80 also a .177 yet the FWB required less effort to cock and is a much lighter rifle.

The 80 wins out on its trigger and FAC potential though. The better sub 12ftlbs HW is either the 35 or my favourite the 55. If you were to restock a 55 in say the 50 stock you get a very accurate lightweight sporter.

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Ditto........plus one of the best "pointable" guns ever, with a real solid feel......Can't explain it really, It just feels "right"
    I am with Airsporter1st and edbear2 on this one

I love the FWB124 and it is without doubt more accurate than the the early Airsporters but the fantastic looks and balance of the BSA Mk1 and 2 are just unbeatable

Anyone got a nice Club for sale?
    hold me back !!

mrto

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    It wont come as any surprise to any readers of this thread that know me that I will once again soon be the owner of what I personally consider to be the epitome of "real" classic sporting airguns, the Feinwerkbau Sport.
    Maybe it is a condition of my ever advancing years that modern break barrel springers, and under levers for that matter, dont seem to have the same "pick me up and shoot me" effect that this classic example of quality German engineering does. Everything just seems to be in the right place on the Sport.
    I look forward to using the gun both in the field and on the indoor/outdoor ranges and have always found the gun to be an ideal companion,whatever the shooting scenario.
    My question is, can you identify just what feature(or lack of) features it is that makes any particular classic gun your favourite for no apparent reason?
    Andy
    The FWB Sport is a great rifle accurate,well balanced very well made despite the use of plastic for the trigger and rear sight.My only criticism would be the stamped metal safety lever which is prone to breaking.
    A more modern classic and made even better than the FWB is of course for the few who are lucky to have one the Whiscombe and recoiless to boot.

Am I right in presuming that John Whiscome no longer produces his recoiless marvels?

Which classic?

HW80 Mk1...they are so reliable as a hunting tool ..
    Utterly bombproof springer...no faults whatsoever imho.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Baldyman View Post
    HW80 Mk1.22..they are so reliable as a hunting tool ..
    Utterly bombproof springer...no faults whatsoever imho.
    But wish i had my old\new Fwb 124 .177...and i dont do .177 these days...that was accurate...swapped it for a lambretta GP200...Should have kept that as well.....theyre worth a bit nowadays.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

vasbyt.skollie is offline The impossible I can do, Miracles take time..

Smile JW's

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    Am I right in presuming that John Whiscome no longer produces his recoiless marvels?
    You are correct Amec. John no longer makes these marvels .
    No worries, I got two And no you cant have one. Ps and extreamly rewarding to shoot.

I do also have a Meteor in .22 a mk5 and still get fun out of the old girl
    Gas operative extraordinaire

dave hall posted my fwb121 today,oooh,it's like waiting for christmas

I am jealous. Cant wait to get hold of my 124!