Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feinwerkbau Sport

Feinwerkbau Sport

It wont come as any surprise to any readers of this thread that know me that I will once again soon be the owner of what I personally consider to be the epitome of "real" classic sporting airguns, the Feinwerkbau Sport.
    Maybe it is a condition of my ever advancing years that modern break barrel springers, and under levers for that matter, dont seem to have the same "pick me up and shoot me" effect that this classic example of quality German engineering does. Everything just seems to be in the right place on the Sport.
    I look forward to using the gun both in the field and on the indoor/outdoor ranges and have always found the gun to be an ideal companion,whatever the shooting scenario.
    My question is, can you identify just what feature(or lack of) features it is that makes any particular classic gun your favourite for no apparent reason?
    Andy

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Two pence!

The Feinwerkbau Sport has many virtues.

1. Light and easy to cock.
    2. Well-balanced, 'pointable'.
    3. Engineering quality on the whole is really first-class. Look down the barrel and see the superb rifling, or look at the inside of the compression chamber and the way the piston is made. Really high quality on a production springer.
    4. A simple and elegant design of both action and stock, no fussiness or pretention.
    5. Designed to produce the UK limit in terms of power with great efficiency, without bulky 'spare capacity' (c/w HW80!)
    6. It has a great 'feel' about it, easy to get on the rythmn of loading, bringing to aim and loosing off a shot. Undelevers feel very clunky in comparison and HW break-barrels feel overbuilt and agricultural.

Of course there are several defects of the marque, but they are minor and correctable (get one of the new precision engineered triggers from Maccari!). No other rifle has the combination of the above virtues, even now.

Another rifle with that pick-up-and-shoot feel about it is the HW30S or Beeman R7 in the US. It is about 1lb lighter than the FWB Sport but it develops far less power and is not made to the same level of finish as the Sport, although it may last longer before needing attention.

Another rifle that is a pleasure to shoot is the BSA Mercury-S, this is light, very well balanced and comes up to aim effortlessly.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 17-03-2010 at 07:30 AM.

I well remember a mate of mine buying a brand new Mercury S and being impressed with it then. I havent even set eyes on one for thirty years but seem to remember the gun sporting a walnut stock and being very well balanced. Maybe another gun for consideration in the apparently ever expanding classic collection I think.
    I reckon that the Maccari/Sport trigger mod sounds like a good idea as well. Will check out the website. Thanks for your comments. Andy

Well, I'm bound to say it: the Mk1/11 Airsporter.

1) The best looking springer ever. (Beats the prosport in my view for balanced looks.)
    2) Solid British engineering
    3) One of the safest loading mechanisms ever.
    4) Very quick loading courtesy of the auto tap.
    5) The gun we all lusted after - before the Germans invaded the British market.
    6) No plastic bits.
    etc.
    etc.
    etc.

I like the Sport but it has been over-hyped on here and in consequence is usually over-priced as well.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    Well, I'm bound to say it: the Mk1/11 Airsporter.

1) The best looking springer ever. (Beats the prosport in my view for balanced looks.)
    2) Solid British engineering
    3) One of the safest loading mechanisms ever.
    4) Very quick loading courtesy of the auto tap.
    5) The gun we all lusted after - before the Germans invaded the British market.
    6) No plastic bits.
    etc.
    etc.
    etc.
    Ditto........plus one of the best "pointable" guns ever, with a real solid feel......Can't explain it really, It just feels "right"

Fwb

I am with HSING-EE on this one I was shooting my 124 at the weekend and then tried my 80, after the Sport the 80 felt bulky and flicking the safety off seamed a pain compared to the safety on the FWB.

I chronoed both 11 ftlbs for the Sport, 11.8ftlbs for the 80 also a .177 yet the FWB required less effort to cock and is a much lighter rifle.

The 80 wins out on its trigger and FAC potential though. The better sub 12ftlbs HW is either the 35 or my favourite the 55. If you were to restock a 55 in say the 50 stock you get a very accurate lightweight sporter.

Some good point mentioned so far. I am a fan of the '35 due to its simple, strong engineering and choice of stocks but I also love the 'Sport. I agree the early BSA Airsporter (auto tap type) was one of the, if not THE best looking air rifle ever, its one disadvantage these days is due to its short production run of the mark one and two is finding a good example especially in .177.
    The HW55, while another fine rifle, is sadly lacking in power and IMO looses character and accuracy when brought up to nearer the legal limit.
    Ive never been a fan of the HW80, or HW90 for that matter and, while the '80 is an airgun icon I feel it is overweight and unbalanced and its only purpose it serves is the basis for an FAC springer unless greatly altered and tuned specifically for 12ft.lbs. The HW95 does the same job for less weight and better balance.
    Now, BSF break barrels .

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Ditto........plus one of the best "pointable" guns ever, with a real solid feel......Can't explain it really, It just feels "right"
    I am with Airsporter1st and edbear2 on this one

I love the FWB124 and it is without doubt more accurate than the the early Airsporters but the fantastic looks and balance of the BSA Mk1 and 2 are just unbeatable

Anyone got a nice Club for sale?
    hold me back !!

Hi Andy

If your at the club Thurs I will bring along my Mercury S, seeing how you enjoyed shooting my FWB Sport last week.

By the way, I have have to agree with Airsporter1st, if ever a time came to thin out the collection the Airsporters, especially the Stutzens, will be the last to go.

John

Quote Originally Posted by pennineway.fswo View Post

Anyone got a nice Club for sale?
    [See my earlier post]
    I rest my case.

Make a note in your diary: SUNDAY 11th APRIL when, once again Rivington R will be holding another classic 'Bring & Buy' sale at our Horwich indoor range (in aid of charity). Going off previous events you will be able to shoots BSA 'S' types, Centenarys, BSFs, various '35s, Sports, with a sprinkling of one-off prototypes. Its also a grand opportunity to bring along any rifle/pistol or accessories you want to sell/swap. Further details will be posted nearer the time.

I think NOCITY has picked up a few nice rifles at these events.

ATB
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 17-03-2010 at 09:17 AM. Reason: 'Bring & Buy' added.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Interesting comments gentlemen! I have to admit to being in current ignorance of the early Airsporters appeal. I well remember of course that in my early days they were the gun to have and very much lived at the top of the tree regarding reputation. I will agree though that their sleek looks sets them apart. I have never even shot a Stutzen before John so that is something to look forward to Thursday evening!
    I still find it interesting that despite all of our state of the art PCPs, it, for many of us, appears to be classic springers that really floats our boat. I think that it remains hard to put into words just what it is that makes a particular gun so pleasant to shoot. It doesnt for me have to be a powerful one either. Just as much fun can be had with a low powered plinker in the right situation. I have a 74 vintage .22 Meteor that fits into this category. I even used it in the field to prove to my sons that results come from getting close to quarry and being able to deliver an accurate shot, not from close to limit velocities. I may even give the old girl a run out on Thursday come to think about it.
    Lets hope that the 11th April Rivington event will result in some other classic contenders coming to light !
    Shoot straight !
    Andy

I like the build quality of the early springers,
    made with proper machined parts,turned not pressed,
    I like my HW77K mk 2 very much indeedy

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

ummm

thought about this long and hard and in conclusion any gun that makes me a better shot and confidence is going to have my vote "o yes its the 124 again" what a surprise!! but as a sop to my bbs collegue when i left my much loved mk2 a/sporter out one day the mrs stopped and said "you know what thats a very attractive airgun" she has never shown any interest before or after in airguns so i can only conclude it has that certain something,my mk2 was pulled out of an ancient cupboard and has an aroma of old polish and tobbaco the wood is dark and lusterous ,the shot cycle is both smooth and solid it rivals my first love in a different way .
    Last edited by red bob; 17-03-2010 at 10:23 PM.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

Personally, I can never understand why the 124 was/ is over rated. It isn't particularly light, the trigger is awful, the safety in most guns I came across was non existent, the recoil jarring.....

Yes, maccari kits improved them. But so do venom kits on Weirauchs, with better triggers to begin with.

I went through two 124s, and got rid of them in a few months after the genie failed to appear despite repeated rubbing and cockings.

My Weirauchs, on the other hand, are keepers. After all, the Ford model T was a great car. But you won't make me drive it to work in this age.
    Ginb AA Prosport 0.177, Ginb FT V-Glide Hw77k 0.177, CS 500 V-Glide Hw80 0.22, Steyr LG 110 0.177, Gamo Compact 0.177, Hw45 0.177, Beretta 682X Trap 12b, Beretta 682 Sporter 12b, WH Pollard hammer 12b

mrto

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    It wont come as any surprise to any readers of this thread that know me that I will once again soon be the owner of what I personally consider to be the epitome of "real" classic sporting airguns, the Feinwerkbau Sport.
    Maybe it is a condition of my ever advancing years that modern break barrel springers, and under levers for that matter, dont seem to have the same "pick me up and shoot me" effect that this classic example of quality German engineering does. Everything just seems to be in the right place on the Sport.
    I look forward to using the gun both in the field and on the indoor/outdoor ranges and have always found the gun to be an ideal companion,whatever the shooting scenario.
    My question is, can you identify just what feature(or lack of) features it is that makes any particular classic gun your favourite for no apparent reason?
    Andy
    The FWB Sport is a great rifle accurate,well balanced very well made despite the use of plastic for the trigger and rear sight.My only criticism would be the stamped metal safety lever which is prone to breaking.
    A more modern classic and made even better than the FWB is of course for the few who are lucky to have one the Whiscombe and recoiless to boot.