Thread: Lenses for shooting glasses; who does them?

Question Lenses for shooting glasses; who does them?

Hi folks, I'm hoping I can pick your brains here... I've just picked up a second-hand set of shooting frames; the ones which have a blinder and a single 25mm circular lens mounted on an arm. -I think they're an old version of the 'Champion' style that Stewards retail;

http://www.stewardsportsglasses.co.u...ry_glasses.htm

Suffice to say that the original owners prescription bears no resemblance to mine; you could probably weld in these... you can certainly almost see France...

Can anyone recommend a place to get a lens made to my prescription? I've tried a quick Google on the subject but have just found umpteen pages of tinted specs for clay shooters or cheap glasses in funky frames.

Thanks!
    Anne

The answer is in your post, Stewards, send them your prescription and the lens holder, tell them what you shoot, ie. pistol, small bore rifle and then get your cheque book out, there not cheap.
    Peter

champion do lenses in certain strengths. e.g .25, .50 etc.
    25mm is usually regarded as a rifle lens. pistol lenses are usually bigger.
    have a look at the champion web site or look at edinkillne website for more info.
    steyr lp5,steyr lp10,hw77k,bsa buccaneer .177,bsa scorpion .177,original 6g
    happy with my lot!

Stephen Hing OpticiansOpticians - Ophthalmic
    Tel: 01462 411010| 14A, Clifton Road, Shefford, Bedfordshire SG17 5AE
    Retinal PhotographyPrivate / NHS Eye ExaminationsContact LensesLarge Selection

Anne

Most of the small-bore people I know see this guy and he knows his stuff regarding shooting lenses. He's not a million miles from you either to get a proper consultation done.

HTH
    Alan

Thanks Alan!

Check out Mike Taylor in Honiton... renowned on the smallbore circuit, he shoots himself, so knows what he's on about as well...

I know that you may find this surprising but as they say: Should have gone to Specsavers. Well that was where I went last two times I had a lens made up for my shooting frames. I just took the frames and the set of sights from the rifle in to show the optician, on one occasion I had a Locum optician, from SA and he was a fullbore TR shooter back home. The other wasn't a shooter, but as I knew pretty much what was wanted so between us got everything sorted out ok.
    Idealy you want even the smallest ammount of astigmatism corrected (as you are trying to line up a set of concentric circles). Then you want the lens to bring your natural focus point to about 6 feet. Once you are looking through the rear aparture this will bring the foresight into focus with the target a fuzzy blob as it should be. This is of course assuming that you want this for rifle shooting, as the 25mm lens is usually used for rifle shooting.

Alan

Try Specs-by-Post 08451701166. www.specs-by-post.com.
    Very helpful chap (shooter) very reasonable prices.

If you know your prescription, try the internet spectacle firms. I can't remember the name of the one I used, but I sent them my old lens and they made a new one for me for under £10, to my prescription.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

specs

I agree with the piggy man its gonna cost ya.

I also go to specsavers and there just great
    richard

I think you will find any competent optician will be able to do this for you. I take an air pistol with me to my optician's, you need to get your foresight sharp, and he switches lenses over whilst you're at the aim in the privacy of the examination room. Naturally you take this in a covered box with you. The last set of lenses I paid £25 for and they were fitted into the actual metal holder by the manufacturers. Also there could be a polarity issue which you optician should get the right polarity for you and I would give you the hint to take a fine felt tip pen with you and Mark the rough edge of lens plastic where the metal rim meets. That means that if you ever do take that lens out, you can put it back in the correct polarity. I have all sorts of tinted lenses but basically a yellow tint is a help to give you contrast.
    Best wishes,
    JJ
    No man plans to fail but many fail to plan