Thread: Optima Scope Restore Question

Optima Scope Restore Question

Hi Guys

Picked up a Moonlighter of the bay, but although really good nick the body has light fading to it - it almost looks silver in parts, although not rubbed of it just looks light faded !

Is there any way of restring the black color ? I think they were anodised and I didn't really want to paint it as it would cover the gold inlay writing. I also thought of rubbing boot polish in to darken it LoL.

Has anyone had this problem and managed to restore the black on a period scope.

If anodising/blacking is the only way is there any one here or on the web that does this type of work ?

ATB
    Paul

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Just fit it on a well-worn period HW35 Export and pretend you are a famous hunter from the 1980s like John Darling, Conan Doyle or Mariella Frostrup.

Seriously though, I think it will have to be paint or stripping it down to the shiney metal. Refinishing by anodisation will involve complete disassembly and will cost more than a decent springer.

scope restoration

try rubbing a small part of it with T cut rubbing compound.

Yeah good ol John Darling loved he's forays into the woods, especially with the Mercury S and Innova but just can't get the face right as he trudged through the rain.

Great idea about the t-cut I think they do in different colors blcak red etc or may be some car paint restoring compound.

Polishing it ohh my word NOOOOO can't stand bling and it wouldbe criminal to do it to a 56mm Optima.

I'll have a look in our local boy racer (more money than sense) shop.

I'll let you know.

ATB
    Paul