Thread: Mercury MK.II -odd variant or early DIY bling project?

Question Mercury MK.II -odd variant or early DIY bling project?

Hi folks, I wondered if I could pick your brains with something….
    The decision was finally taken to start an inventory of the contents of the wardrobe. I know, not a task to be taken lightly. An inordinate amount of preparation has taken place, batteries have been charged and a small hamper with sandwiches, Kendal mint cake and several flasks of weak lemon drink has been assembled. The tow-rope from the car has been tied around my waist and the airing cupboard door handle so I can be found if I’m not seen for a few days.

One of the bits I’ve just documented is a BSA Mercury Mk. II. Serial prefix ZA which I think puts it in the 1973-74 region. The odd bit being the barrel; I think its been nickel or chrome plated? Some images are attached.

Mercury; whole rifle
    http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...k/mercury2.jpg

Mercury: barrel
    http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...k/mercury1.jpg

Mercury barrel BSA logo
    http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...k/mercury3.jpg

Has anyone come across this before? I’m in two minds as to its originality. On the one hand it does look somewhat odd, but on the other its also looks remarkably well done; no signs of poor pickling and the BSA signature is nice and clear so hasn’t been flooded.

???????????
    Any thoughts welcomed!
    Anne

Very nice find Anne, I wish I could jump into my wardrobe and find one.
    Looks like it is as you describe, a very nice and very well done individual 'special'.
    I have had a quick look through the 'archives' and can't find any reference to BSA having produced any 'Anniversary' pieces during the Mercury' run. If I remember correctly, the prefix letters were 'W' and 'Z' for that period.
    Who's a lucky lady then?
    ATB. Eric
    Demic, miserable, grumpy old git! Feinwerkbau Sport Appreciation Society.
    I don't mind what sexual, religious or political persuasion you are, just don't impose them on me!!

Thanks Eric
    I believe the Wardrobe came into the family having been previously owned by a Lion and rather tetchy lady on a sled.
    I've had a quick look through the books I've got here along with a scan with google and couldn't find any mention of *bling* variants to the Mercury. The action has been japanned rather than blued, and whilst it doesn't look great I think its worn rather than re-done. The stock shows some wear to the rather heavy varnish so I think it's a contender for a strip and re-finish with oil. I'll see if the garage fairy fancies another project... he's busy re-building a pre-war Diana 27 at the moment (mental note, need to make more coffee after posting this)

Cool

I have a feeling that this was a plating job that was done at a later point in it's history, i've not heard of BSA doing this type of think but am fairly sure that Weihrauch have...

I used to own a Sunbeam Alpine car and replaced the single stromberg carburretta with a pair of the same (came from a Sunbeam Rapier), before i fitted them (along with a new exhaust manifold), i had the dashpot covers and float chambers chrome plated by a lass that lived in the next yard to me.

for a few quid she would chrome/copper/nickel plate anything that would take it
    I wish she still lived in the same house- i would have loads of chrome plated guns now

Your merc looks the bees knees to me

Regards, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Didn't the standard Mercury Mks I and II come with an enamel paint finish? Perhaps the barrel has been stripped of paint and then highly polished? Are there any nooks and crannies on the barrel where you might be able to locate some of the original paint? - I'm guessing that if a plated finish were in place none of the original paint would have remained after the barrel had 'gone for a dip' so to speak

One i made earlier

This was just buffed up on a mop after removing the chipped paint matt black stock with a couple of coats bees wax and shoots nice as well,

Last edited by stewit; 23-03-2010 at 03:43 PM. Reason: pics

Quote Originally Posted by styggron View Post
    Didn't the standard Mercury Mks I and II come with an enamel paint finish? Perhaps the barrel has been stripped of paint and then highly polished? Are there any nooks and crannies on the barrel where you might be able to locate some of the original paint? - I'm guessing that if a plated finish were in place none of the original paint would have remained after the barrel had 'gone for a dip' so to speak
    Hi folks, thanks for all the replies. The action has what I would describe as a stove-enamel paint finish to it. This has several scuffs and knocks around the scope rails. I don't think the barrel has been polished; it looks far too uniform, clean and *shiney*. Its perfectly smooth when you run your hand along it; no light pitting or bobbling from surface rust spots. There are no traces of paint / enamel anywhere on it. Its the entire barrel unit that looks as though it has been plated, so all the way down to the where it attaches to the cocking lever. The foresight is black plastic; I'm not sure how its attached but I can't shift it!
    All very odd...

BATFINK, if you want rid Anne, I have an old book of collectable stamps and a tin of old coins to swap!
    STEWIT. PLEASE!! Post larger pics! I am 64, have to wear glasses to see my laptop screen and have difficulty holding a pair of binoculars as well just to view your pictures! (lol) Eric
    I don't mind what sexual, religious or political persuasion you are, just don't impose them on me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Herpquest View Post
    BATFINK, if you want rid Anne, I have an old book of collectable stamps and a tin of old coins to swap!
    STEWIT. PLEASE!! Post larger pics! I am 64, have to wear glasses to see my laptop screen and have difficulty holding a pair of binoculars as well just to view your pictures! (lol) Eric

Hi Eric,

If you just edit the link to remove the ".th" part before the ".jpg" at the end, you'll see the fullsize image instead of the thumbnail...

Here you go, did it for you

pic1
    pic2
    pic3
    blah blah

Thanks Dave, very good of you. As you can obviously tell, I am from the pre calculator era and STILL trying to enter the millenium.

Quote Originally Posted by Herpquest View Post
    Thanks Dave, very good of you. As you can obviously tell, I am from the pre calculator era and STILL trying to enter the millenium.

...No problem Eric.

Regarding the two polished Mercs...I like 'em both! ...but wasn't there a black stocked/nickel plated version brought out by one of the companies doing custom jobs?...but then it's 3am so I may be imagining it?...
    blah blah

Hi Batfink
    The foresight is black plastic; I'm not sure how its attached but I can't shift it!
    If its the same as the Airsporter, there is a tiny pin holding the front sight in the base, knock that out and the sight comes out revealing a screw which holds the base in.
    atb
    dogsbody