Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Orginal 45 SHOCK

Orginal 45 SHOCK

Just brought an Orginal 45 in .22...and i'm amazed its wonderful to shoot...i can't believe i didn't get one sooner!!! better than my FWB I would have to say YES....Get ready for the FWB boys to shout at me...SORRY.

Regards and a convert

Mach 1.5

Each to his own but I find the '45 heavy, bulky and un balanced compared to the 'Sport. I own a .22 (dated Nov 79) and a .20 (dated Sept 81) so have some experience with them. They are also harder to strip than the 'Sport due to the silly hair spring safety catch spring and Ive found several with 'soft metal' barrel to the extent that they can be bent by over strenuous cocking.

If you enjoy the Original thats all that matters.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Orginal

Hi I.J..Yes i somewhat agree with your comments..but this 45 shoots really sweet and for 32 years of age..i'm OVER THE MOON with it...always fancied one since i saw rod lynton use a .20 with a beta 3 scope on it in an airgun world many years ago. Happy Days.

Regards

Mach 1.5

If you find a good'un then they are very very good. I had to go through quite a few until I found one I wanted to keep. Very accurate, a trigger somewhere between a HW Rekord and a FWB Sport; well original A bit weight forward and long but reasonably forgiving and you know you are definitely shooting a springer. Get any marksmanship principal wrong and it will throw a shot. Otherwise well able to get pellets onto pellets; a rifle that wants to shoot straight. Shame the stock never came with walnut but, though, dull they do work and give that business like look.

Love mine.

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...IMG_3964_2.jpg

Did you get it from Kidderminster?

Chris.
    Far too many rifles & pistols to mention here.

Hi Paul

Another one for the collection!!! heard so much about the original 45 but never shot one. You must be running out of room in your place

Regards

Mach 1.5, you have seen the light, welcome on board the good ship Original

I owned a .22 45 back when they were a newly released gun. It was fantastic then but sported a relatively plain stock which I attempted to rectify with disastrous results if I remember rightly. Shot my first bunny with one in fact in about 78/79.
    However, dont think that you can compare one to the FWB. Much longer, heavier and of course, not a Feinwerkbau!
    Enjoy your new gun.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Hi I.J..Yes i somewhat agree with your comments..but this 45 shoots really sweet and for 32 years of age..i'm OVER THE MOON with it...always fancied one since i saw rod lynton use a .20 with a beta 3 scope on it in an airgun world many years ago. Happy Days.

Regards

Mach 1.5
    Aaahhh! Now we are talking class glass.

ATB
    Ian

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    I have had three Original Mod.45s, two in .177, and one in .20. Cracking bits of kit indeed.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Why so surprised?

The Original/RWS 45 was the most accurate production air rifle we tested in SAR in the mid-1980s.

In all calibres.

fantastic rifle full stop ,mach 1.5 ,it really needs a period apel 1 piecemount and a tasco 1.75-5x40 pa scope,to round it off
    rgds scirroco

I have 2 RWS variants in .22 and .177 and also a .22 Original. They are cracking rifles and generally underated in my opinion.
    I think Venom did venture with the '45- cant remember the marque- possibly Varminter- but I would imagine sales would have been low compared to the other mass offerings of the time.
    The only regret I have is that I am not able to professionally reduce the barrels on any of them to carbine proportions for fear of losing the choke from the muzzle. I honestly feel this would bring the weight back more towards the trigger and thereby improve balance. Also lock time would be improved somewhat.
    A classic in every sense of the word in my book- though I know some would not see it that way.
    Also, as has been mentioned- a great shame there was not a walnut factory option available.
    Dave

I seem to remember Worcester Black Powder Supplies (?) shortening the barrel of Original 45s at the breech end and also tuning them by replacing the leather piston head with a PTFE one. Was it called the Marauder?

ATB
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 21-03-2010 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Recall.

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

ummm.

i am fortunate to have a super example of each for field work and for me the fwb gets first place by a short head in front of the 45 for small but significant reasons;as said in a previous thread the spitfire to hurricane analogy works for me the fwb is the lighter faster choice against the heavier and therefore in some instances steadier platform of the 45;still if it works for you thats all that matters! ive known collegues in the vermin shooting game that have never really found the gun that holds their attention which is a bit sad considering to my mind there has to be around half a dozen[springers] which square up nicely.
    that said ive just got my hands at long last on an hw35 in .177 for thw same work as an alternative, a solid and smooth operator ;i can certainly understand why she has such a large following.
    Last edited by red bob; 21-03-2010 at 12:30 AM.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,