Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Orginal 45 SHOCK

mrto

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Just brought an Orginal 45 in .22...and i'm amazed its wonderful to shoot...i can't believe i didn't get one sooner!!! better than my FWB I would have to say YES....Get ready for the FWB boys to shout at me...SORRY.

Regards and a convert

Mach 1.5
    If you compare the build quality of the Original 45 and the FWB Sport they are equally well made,the 45 having a metal trigger and rear sight,the use of plastic only for the substantial safety catch.Accuracy wise the 45 was at a disadvantage when it first came to market because of the use of a leather piston seal rather than the synthetic one used on the FWB's.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I seem to remember Worcester Black Powder Supplies (?) shortening the barrel of Original 45s at the breech end and also tuning them by replacing the leather piston head with a PTFE one. Was it called the Marauder?

ATB
    Ian
    Quite possible- and they certainly did so with the Anschutz 335- though that only needed the leather head converted to ptfe. In point of fact I've just used one such rifle to despatch a small rat in my dad's garden. I've fitted a Robb ptfe replacement to this one and given it the usual polish and lube and it shoots lovely.
    Ive done the same to both RWS 45s I have and it works equally as well. I have no doubt that coupled with a reduction in barrel length from the breech end would result in a cracking "practical " classic springer.

Thats said, some purists would shudder at the thought of reducing the barrel on a classic

Dave

Orginal 45

Just put an orginal 4 x 32 scope on my 45..hadn't had this much fun with a gun for ages...hitting my knockdown taregt at 30m no problem.

Mach 1.5

The only problem with me reading threads like this is that I now need to source myself an example of a 45 myself. Is it me attempting to go back 30 odd years, why do I hanker for old spring powered air rifles when i have lots of newer ones more than capable of doing the job?
    I think gentlemen that I have been well and truly gripped by old spring piston rifles. Jims recent article regarding the stock repair on the old BSA underlever also brought back some happy memories as this was the first proper gun I ever shot when aged about 9 when holidaying in Cornwall with my brother and parents in the 60s. We used to stay in the same guesthouse in Perranporth every year and the owner had one of these old BSAs in his shed. My first job upon arrival every year was to enter his shed, grab the gun and not put it down for a fortnight if I could help it! I well remember buying my first tin of Eley Wasp .177 pellets from a tackle shop in Mevagissey as if it was yesterday. That gun destroyed many a fine Airfix model in its time. I hope that the gun resides with a caring owner now.Am I getting old ?
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I seem to remember Worcester Black Powder Supplies (?) shortening the barrel of Original 45s at the breech end and also tuning them by replacing the leather piston head with a PTFE one. Was it called the Marauder?

ATB
    Ian
    Lots of people simply chopped the 45's barrel, losing the choke. WBPS removed the barrel from the breech block, shortened and refitted it.

PTFE piston seals made a big difference, though in power rather than accuracy, which was already best in class. The seal had to be packed, reducing the stroke, to get the rifle inside the legal limit.

Andy,

I have to agree with you,Ive spent the last few year's buying springer's
    that I had and used to dream about from the mid 70's to the early 80's.
    I have a near mint 45 Jubilee model which is just as good as any fwb and hw
    for build quality the only thing that let's the gun down was the stock finish in imo.

and Jim,
    I still read that article you did about the 45 in SAR it's still my favorite mag of all time..

Original 45

If my memory serves me right a guy called Terry Wheeler had a great deal of success in early FT comps in the 80's with a 45.

I am glad it is not just me that is being affected in this way. The "Jubilee edition" 45 sounds a beaut. As previously explained, for me, the only thing that let down the 45 was stock aesthetics, that is why I foolishly attempted some improvements which only succeeded in the stock resembling a strange orange coloured cross between a fence panel and a cricket bat. Ah, the exitement of youth! It also appears from Jims comments that this particular gun was capable of outstanding performance. I seem to remember reading S.A.R at the time and being persuaded to go for the Original and not the FWB Sport as I had originally intended. Didnt know that they had leather piston washers. Yep, deffinately on my "must have" list that now includes the FWB, an early BSA and either an Anshutz or BSF which I have never actually owned.We can but dream.....
    Andy

Smile

Here's my Original mod45 Jubilee in 177cal, the end of the barrel is slighty chewed up where someone (not me!!) chiselled the plazzie foresight off

I found the colour of the stock very bland and no grain showed through at all so i stripped it and re-finished it using a stock re-finishing kit from a chap on here (william)...
    The Jubilee panels were missing from this gun when i bought it so i made a couple of walnut panels and glued them in, it feels much better with them, though i must get around to oiling them one day

I absolutely love this gun and the trigger in particular has excellent first and second stages

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

I've just found a Worcestershire Black Power Supplies advert from 1985.

Barrel shortening (at the breech end) for FWB (Sport), Anschutz (335) and Original (45) - £35, about a quarter of a week's wages for most people.

MACH 1.5, your FWB will be feeling all alone and unwanted now! I can give her an excellent home where she will be treated with the respect she deserves, and not be pushed aside to make room for an Original 45! ATB Eric
    Demic, miserable, grumpy old git! Feinwerkbau Sport Appreciation Society.
    I don't mind what sexual, religious or political persuasion you are, just don't impose them on me!!

On ma dirt farm near Dudley in the Westmidlands.
    Allways prefered the 45 over all its break barrel rivals back in the day, never could understand why they were not more popular than they were to be perfectly honest. Great rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    The only problem with me reading threads like this is that I now need to source myself an example of a 45 myself.
    Andy
    B.A.R. had an early (1979) .177 example for sale in their s/h section today (22nd)

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    I've just found a Worcestershire Black Power Supplies advert from 1985.

Barrel shortening (at the breech end) for FWB (Sport), Anschutz (335) and Original (45) - £35, about a quarter of a week's wages for most people.
    Interesting,
    Seems there is no one around these days to carry out this type of work. And if they would- what would the cost be nowadays.
    Am sure the '45 would benefit from this.

Dave