Thread: Gunstock Carving

Gunstock Carving

Hi all, Just been trawling the internet and came across an interesting site about copy carving - especially gunstock carving using a copy carver. not cheap but an excellent piece of kit!!

hopefully this link will work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUr5IFXNT0A

Lakey

Interesting Andy, thanks. I'm quite surprised at how painstaking the shaping work is, even with that impressive set up. I suppose that's the sort of thing Jim Maccari in the US uses to churn out his copies.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Hi, I first saw one last year on e--y not the same but same system. Then came across this Gemini clip ! Got hooked on the idea! Over the past weeks have been doing some drawings and tying to source all the parts needed. Will go for all linear barings as on the side to side movement you see on the Gemini (no wheels). It's going to take a while but it will be worth it .
    Regards Alan.

I Bet it costs a fortune as well, especially with shipping from the states?

Check out this website as there seems to be a pretty good home made copy-carver here and the bloke sells plans etc. I reckon it could be adapted to deal with gunstocks, Apparantly it uses a Ryobi Router for the cutter motor,

http://www.copycarver.com/index.htm

Lakey

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Check out this website as there seems to be a pretty good home made copy-carver here and the bloke sells plans etc. I reckon it could be adapted to deal with gunstocks, Apparantly it uses a Ryobi Router for the cutter motor,

http://www.copycarver.com/index.htm

Lakey
    Interesting site thanks for sharing ......

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Interesting Andy, thanks. I'm quite surprised at how painstaking the shaping work is, even with that impressive set up. I suppose that's the sort of thing Jim Maccari in the US uses to churn out his copies.
    I guess so, I dont know for sure, however it would justify the expense if you could churn out a few Falke 80 and 90 stocks - not to mention replacements for the countless broken Airsporter Mk1 and 2, and Cadet stocks that are around.

I wonder if custom stocks are copyrighted?

If you had one of these machines, it would open up a whole world of possibilities

Food for thought.....

Lakey

Hi, Lakey ! It was those possibilities that got me interested !
    I would'nt think of copying custom stuff ! don't think you would get away with that for a moment but as for the rest !!!
    Have seen the wooden one but the wood can warp and if dust or chips get under the wheels it would cause it to be inaccurate so will go for linears!
    As for the parts needed i can get most for free !!!
    Regards Alan.