Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which air pistol for centerfire pistol practice?

Which air pistol for centerfire pistol practice?

Hello everyone, and thank you in advance for your help and suggestions.

I am new to the wonderful world of airguns, but have been shooting centerfire and rimfire guns for a while. I am looking to buy an air pistol for backyard practice (stance, trigger control, etc.) and am wondering what you all would recommend.

My absolute price limit is $150-$200 (£99-£130, it my math is correct ), though less certainly is good.

Right now I am considering the Crossman 1377, Gamo Compact, Beeman P3, IZH 53M, and Diana P5, but I am certainly open to other suggestions. I think I would prefer either a single stroke pneumatic or a springer so that I won't have to get scuba tanks or CO2, though I'm not sure (rapid fire might be useful). Also, I'm not a huge fan of multi-stroke pneumatics (the 1377), because of increased time between shots, but if it's the best option, I can make due.

My primary goal is to find a pistol which is reliable (hence the absence of the Marksman 2004/P17 from my list), and which is fairly accurate out to 10 or 15 meters. Also, something fairly quiet would be nice (don't want to freak out the neighbors!). I will not be using this for hunting or anything, so extreme fps is not required except for accuracy/distance.

Again, thanks for your help!

-John

I've never fired a centrefire pistol, but I gather that they are pretty "lively" and also usually have heavy triggers.

An air pistol with very light trigger and no recoil would not appear to offer decent practice for centrefire.

My suggestion would be the Baikal IZH 53M. Inherently accurate, if not "target" standard. Is not too light. Has recoil, ie. not totally inert, (as is an SSP) and the trigger is moderately heavy. The price should be right in the states too. The engineering is a little rustic, benefitting from a strip and de-burr, but the 53 will last a lifetime.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    Hi John & welcome to the BBS I would definately give a vote for the Beeman P3, we know it as the Weihrauch HW40 over here. It is very accurate at the ranges you are quoting and quite quiet as well. I have no experience of centre/rim fire pistols so I can't comment on suitability.

If you would like to join us at the UBC we carry out monthly e mail comps and the P3 would suit quite a few of the comps.

Here's the link:

http://www.umarexboysclub.co.uk/

And the link to joining:

http://www.ubc.btik.com/p_Home.ikml

ATB
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

Quote Originally Posted by elduderino04 View Post
    Hello everyone, and thank you in advance for your help and suggestions.

I am new to the wonderful world of airguns, but have been shooting center fire and rim fire guns for a while. I am looking to buy an air pistol for backyard practice (stance, trigger control, etc.) and am wondering what you all would recommend.

My absolute price limit is $150-$200 (£99-£130, it my math is correct ), though less certainly is good.

Right now I am considering the Crossman 1377, Gamo Compact, Beeman P3, IZH 53M, and Diana P5, but I am certainly open to other suggestions. I think I would prefer either a single stroke pneumatic or a springer so that I won't have to get scuba tanks or CO2, though I'm not sure (rapid fire might be useful). Also, I'm not a huge fan of multi-stroke pneumatics (the 1377), because of increased time between shots, but if it's the best option, I can make due.

My primary goal is to find a pistol which is reliable (hence the absence of the Marksman 2004/P17 from my list), and which is fairly accurate out to 10 or 15 meters. Also, something fairly quiet would be nice (don't want to freak out the neighbors!). I will not be using this for hunting or anything, so extreme fps is not required except for accuracy/distance.

Again, thanks for your help!

-John

Hi John from sunny LA

I'd recommend the HW45 over barrel spring single shot. The grip is almost identical to the Colt 1911 style. Comes in 177. 20 & 22.
    The design of the gun does give a simulated centre fire feel to it.

What pistols are you using in c/f & rim ?

The Umarex S&W CO2 is a fine pistol to use and is very close to the S&W 586 centre fire pistol. Just like the cartridge version it can be double or single actioned. Having owned both L & N frame Smith's trust me.

The other Umarex clone pistols are also very well made but, don't auto load like the real ones.

I know CO2 is not everyone's first choice but, get one just for a bit of fun, Oh and shooting our online comps.

Good luck, Phil

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick

Dry Fire practice is Important!

I'd also recommend the HW45, the dry fire facility allows you to open & close the action without cocking the gun but cocking the trigger, excellent for quietly perfecting your surprise break in the house.
    The weight is close to the 1911 and the first & second stages of the trigger can be adjusted to the same weights as the 1911.
    My first use of a 1911 was on holiday in Las Vegas about 10 years ago, practice with my HW45 and the US Army Pistol Marksmanship Training Manual (Target Bunny has it in pdf on his site) allowed me to get good groupings on target straight away, single and double handed grips.
    Then I gave in and concentrated on emptying clips as quickly as possible whilst still hitting the paper
    Regards,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Welcome to the list, Yank!

My recommendation - since we both are fortunate enough to be able to shoot centerfire and rimfire pistols: unlike most of our brothers and sisters reading this - is to get an air pistol(s) that best simulates the cartridge pistol(s) you are shooting, in terms of weight, grip, etc.

The Beeman P3 / HW 40 is similar to a Glock, I would think (I've never fired a Glock).

The Umarex Smith 586 / 686 is the same size and weight as its cartridge .357 cousin...

...The springer HW 45 is similar to the Colt Government model, and there's also a CO2 Colt Government version...ditto for the Beretta 92, and other cartridge pistols.

I shoot springers, CO's, and SSP's in my city backyard and haven't (yet) had any complaints from my neighbors, but if noise is a big concern for you, the Beeman P3, and the Daisy Avanti 747, are very quiet. SSP's (Single Stroke Pneumatics) are much quieter than spring pistons or C02's.

With the cost of even rimfire ammo going through the roof, and with centerfire becoming SO expensive that my wife and I are going to shoot our
    .32's and .45's only a couple times a year , I wouldn't worry much about the cost of C02. I figure I can shoot my springer and SSP pistols for only about 2 cents a round, and my C02 for only about 3 cents. You can't even come close to that with cartridge pistols!

AND, let me second or third those welcoming you to our air pistols competitions!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    My first use of a 1911 was on holiday in Las Vegas about 10 years ago, practice with my HW45 and the US Army Pistol Marksmanship Training Manual (Target Bunny has it in pdf on his site) allowed me to get good groupings on target straight away, single and double handed grips.
    Then I gave in and concentrated on emptying clips as quickly as possible whilst still hitting the paper
    Regards,
    Nick
    Ah, Nick...you went from being a good old fashioned American .45 shooter to a sloppy contemporary one!

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Hi,

As the piston on the Webley spring pistols travels rearwards, the recoil is similar to that of a cartridge pistol making them very good for practice...

webley tempest spring pistol.

A Tempest isnt target accurate, its a plinker, but it dóes simulate .22 recoil nicely as its has reverse piston travel. Also, they're very nice, compact pistols, and keepers..
    Wouldnt buy an SSP, since thats recoilless.
    I have a Diana 6 pistol. And allthough it hás the GISS system, its muzzle still jumps a tad when you shoot 1handed. Just like .22. And they're very accurate oldie matchpistols.
    Its really what yr after. You want .22 matchpistol practice? Maybe shoot matches with yr airpistol?
    Or prefer to practice militairy handguns, which are very different..
    Standard, usually very heavy triggers, some recoil..Than an air matchpistol might not be the right choice..
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiekneejerk View Post
    Hi,

As the piston on the Webley spring pistols travels rearwards, the recoil is similar to that of a cartridge pistol making them very good for practice...
    Hmmm...maybe I should get a Webley.

Jim

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Ah, Nick...you went from being a good old fashioned American .45 shooter to a sloppy contemporary one!

Jim
    Jim,
    In Phoenix last year I rented a 1911 and a Brazillian Peacemaker copy, 2 boxes each, all single handed target technique at varying ranges.
    I just had to get the rapid fire thing out of m system
    Regards,
    Nick

Back to the OP question.
    Dry Fire is key to full bore target practice.
    Most of the SSPs will allow cocking the trigger alone for dry fire.
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

You've redeemed yourself, Nick.

To me, the Peacemaker IS the "Colt .45".

But as yu say, let's get back to the OP's question...

Jim

As an ex full bore shooter i would go along with the suggestion made by one of the other posters, try to get something which matchs the sight picture, trigger, weight and grip of what you are shooting in full bore, as this allows a reasonable practice alternative, being able to dry fire however is a must IMHO, another option is to use snap caps, which work well in a revolver enabling both dry firing and loading practice with both jet loader or speed loaders ..... which to be honest of one of the key skills to avoid the "Benny Hill goes to gun fight school look"

Mark
    AA Ev Mk3
    Whiscombe FB60 (Silver) Nikko 10-50x60

Another idea for you, what about a early FWB LP 65, and I quote from the Blue Book. "It had special arrangements to block the recoil compensating mechanism and to switch the trigger pull from 500 to 1360 grams. This allowed the pistol to be used for simulated firearm pistol training."
    Might be costly, if you could find one.
    Peter