Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which air pistol for centerfire pistol practice?

I'd go for a Tempest too, they last a lifetime if looked after, are easy to look after, simulate the recoil and have a simple sight picture that probably matches a proper pistol. They are accurate enough if you persevere, true, not as accurate as genuine target pistols but better than purely plinking accuracy. Plus they are a classic!

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    The Walther LP53 was designed as a centrefire match training pistol, the spring is vertical in the grip to produce an interesting recoil and the trigger weight is 1360 gms, and as some one has already said the FWB 65 has a switch setting to increase the trigger weight to the old centrefire weight of 1360 gms and it was designed to have a screw and washer lock the recoil sledge to produce recoil for CF practice. Both are collectors pieces that would grace any collection and the 65 is still a good match air pistol in standard mode.
    Best regards
    Robin

Any of the Webley overlever pistols (Hurricane, Tempest, Premier, Senior, Junior or even older versions) make excellent firearm trainers. The nature of the recoil, the compact size and the heavy triggers are all beneficial. The trigger will teach correct trigger control, the recoil will teach proper hold and the short, stiff cocking stroke will tone up your muscles. See "Survival Guns" by Mel Tappan (1976) for the full write-up.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Hands up all those offering advice who are doing so from actual experience with airgun practice and full bore results
    Hand up here boss!
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

I speak from experience. I used to be a pretty good centrefire-pistol shot back in the good old days. I won the Centre Gun Club championship two years running. I put a lot of that success down to hours of garage practice with my Webley Tempest and dad's Hy-Score. I still have a target that I put sixty shots into one evening with the Wobbly Webley. Cocking the Tempest put some gristle in my skinny teenage arms. How great would it be to have our pistols back...

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Have a read of this on Target Bunny's site

http://www.targetbunny.btik.com/atta...Manual_1_1.pdf

http://www.targetbunny.btik.com/atta...Manual_2_1.pdf

For some brilliant full bore shooting, practice and training tips,
    Regards,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Centrefire replicant

Hw45.. for all the reasons above.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

If you want some inspiration, check out this one:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...10&pr=goog-sl#

Shooting like that must be very satisfying.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    Any of the Webley overlever pistols (Hurricane, Tempest, Premier, Senior, Junior or even older versions) make excellent firearm trainers. The nature of the recoil, the compact size and the heavy triggers are all beneficial. The trigger will teach correct trigger control, the recoil will teach proper hold and the short, stiff cocking stroke will tone up your muscles. See "Survival Guns" by Mel Tappan (1976) for the full write-up.
    Ah, Powderfinger, now you've done it! I used to WANT a Webley pistol: now I NEED one!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Pre Blair I shot UIT (pre ISSF) centrefire match, 30 slowfire, 30 dueling at 25 mts with a S&W K38 Bowler grips, bought the Walther LP53 to train with. I then changed to a TOZ 36 7.62mm nagant system revolver (look it up on Pilkguns, 3P files, beautifull pistol) which almost had less recoil than the Walther! Changed to a .32 Walther GSP at the end when the Russian ammo sadly dryed up.
    Nostagically yours,
    Robin.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    Pre Blair I shot UIT (pre ISSF) centrefire match, 30 slowfire, 30 dueling at 25 mts with a S&W K38 Bowler grips, bought the Walther LP53 to train with. I then changed to a TOZ 36 7.62mm nagant system revolver (look it up on Pilkguns, 3P files, beautifull pistol) which almost had less recoil than the Walther! Changed to a .32 Walther GSP at the end when the Russian ammo sadly dryed up.
    Nostagically yours,
    Robin.
    Those were the grand old days of pistol shooting, Robin.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

You didn't say what centre fire guns you are shooting. If you're shooting revolver then the Umarex 586 is ideal practice for the for a .357.

O.K you don't get the recoil but d/a and s/a trigger pulls are very close to a Smith and the general feel and pointability are near identical to a real 586.

Quote Originally Posted by markH View Post
    You didn't say what centre fire guns you are shooting. If you're shooting revolver then the Umarex 586 is ideal practice for the for a .357.

O.K you don't get the recoil but d/a and s/a trigger pulls are very close to a Smith and the general feel and pointability are near identical to a real 586.
    I would agree, fairly close, you can even d/a and pause at the s/a point which is key to shooting fast and accuratly, but the real pistol has greater mass in the cylinder making this better carried out with the real weapon and snap caps .... but i have to say the S&W look alike was a suprise to shoot in terms of feel,
    AA Ev Mk3
    Whiscombe FB60 (Silver) Nikko 10-50x60

I never actually owned a 586, I had a model 19 for a few years (£140.00 from Parker Hale), but by the time the 586 came out I did most of my shooting with a 1911.. at Torbay fullbore club, not far from you Arnold.

But I would point out that you don't get to kill tin cans with snap caps.

Welcome to The BBS

For centrefire feel in an airgun pistol ???

Webley & Scott (All Models)
    Heinrich Weihrauch 45 Spring
    Heinrich Weihrauch 70 (break Barrel) Spring