Thread: Classic spring air rifle maintenance/history book

Classic spring air rifle maintenance/history book

Just wondering if any publishers or magazine editors have ever considered producing a book identifying the most popular classic spring air guns, their approximate values, a stripping guide and a model history ? I reckon it might even sell ! Andy.

i can't beleive nobody's ever published a really good history of
    the airgun from beggining to present. if i could write i'd get
    going!

Well there was a recent book on maintaining a variety of spring guns by Q Cobham. And there are various general books that deal with the history of the airgun. Values are notoriously hard to pin down, so I'm not surprised publishers are reluctant to put that feature in their books, apart from the Beeman guide whose valuations are ballpark at best.

Re. strips, the irony is that an excellent book already exists but it's pages are strewn here there and everywhere. I'm talking about the airgun mags' archives of course.

Archant, the publisher of Airgunner and Airgun World could presumably put together - in short order - a book consisting entirely of reprints of Phil Bulmer's strips and all the various strips done by other writers down the years. It would almost certainly sell in decent numbers. I'm not sure why they haven't done it yet? Maybe they're working on it?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Well there was a recent book on maintaining a variety of spring guns by Q Cobham.
    Yeah I have a copy of that book, its really interesting even though I dont have any of those old springers. I once took apart my SMK XS19's trigger in the wrong order and it basically exploded, springs and bits flying everywhere and I couldnt figure out how to put it back together. I found that its a clone of the Gamo cadet which the book covers and managed to get it back together by following the guide for the Gamo

Not many of the books around, but I found one on the bay if you're interested, item number 360237794083
    Steyr LP10E; Weihrauch HW100S .22; Air Arms Pro Sport .177; Career 707 Mk2 .22; Steyr LP2; FWB 65; various others

Quote Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
    I once took apart my SMK XS19's trigger in the wrong order and it basically exploded, springs and bits flying everywhere and I couldnt figure out how to put it back together.

Maybe this is why they havent. With todays PC correct and world of litigation every page would have to state in big, bold red letters - EMPTY THE PCP BEFORE STRIPPING IT. USE A SPRING COMPRESSOR. NO PART OF THIS AIRGUN IS EDIBLE....ETC.ETC.ETC. Ive got scars to prove my fight with a HW77.
    I did once read that you should strip a Daystate magazine in a plastic bag. I nearly suffocated !!!!!!
    Anyway, who needs a book on the subject when we have this ere BBS and all the knowledge of its members.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post

Maybe this is why they havent. With todays PC correct and world of litigation every page would have to state in big, bold red letters - EMPTY THE PCP BEFORE STRIPPING IT. USE A SPRING COMPRESSOR. NO PART OF THIS AIRGUN IS EDIBLE....ETC.ETC.ETC.
    ATB
    Ian

warning - assembled in a factory where someone once ate nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by olivercromwell View Post
    warning - assembled in a factory where someone once ate nuts!
    Thats the one.

ATB
    Ian

Scars

Can't stop laughing :
    "I did once read that you should strip a Daystate magazine in a plastic bag. I nearly suffocated !!!!!! "
    Lol ! ! Lol ! ! ! Lol ! ! !

As for scars , for me it was a humble Ruskie Skif that near had my finger off - happens when you furiously rack a gun's moving slide back so hard it jams ......and you try an un-jam it by hitting it against a desk , with your finger over that very nice fake ejector port on the side Its still in my 'projects to do box' covered in dried blood
    " WHEN YOU'RE GOING TO SHOOT - SHOOT , DON'T TALK ! "

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post

Maybe this is why they havent. With todays PC correct and world of litigation every page would have to state in big, bold red letters - EMPTY THE PCP BEFORE STRIPPING IT. USE A SPRING COMPRESSOR. NO PART OF THIS AIRGUN IS EDIBLE....ETC.ETC.ETC.
    awww but trigger blades are tasty and I love the way they lodge in my throat

that is a point though, I dont remember any mention of spring compressors - just tells you what to screw to get the spring in/out *BOOOIIING*
    Steyr LP10E; Weihrauch HW100S .22; Air Arms Pro Sport .177; Career 707 Mk2 .22; Steyr LP2; FWB 65; various others

A vote for Q.Cobham

"Air Rifle And Air Pistol Maintenance And Repair" (Mini-Maxi publications, 2006) by Q.Cobham is excellent. Definitely the best book on the subject that I have seen.

Sounds like I will have to search out the Cobham book gentlemen. I do hope that you managed to fight your way out of the plastic bag without losing any parts Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    Sounds like I will have to search out the Cobham book gentlemen. I do hope that you managed to fight your way out of the plastic bag without losing any parts Ian.
    I didn't loose any gun parts but body parts?
    You should see me struggle with boil in the bag fish.

ATB
    Ian

I find it easier if I clout the fish on the noggin with a large hammer first Ian. Its then easier to find ones way out of the bag to the corner that you originally cut with the scissors. Frozen meals can be easy to overcome when you know how.....
    Andy