Thread: Not quite a collection...

Not quite a collection...

Not quite a collection as it lacks the brand or date theme, but I have acheived what I set out to do: a set of classic guns covering target, sporting and plinking. All were bought on here.

FWB300S, HW35K, Original 23, FWB65, TAU7

The FWB300S was bought a year ago and is by far the best air rifle I have ever handled. The build quality is outstanding (my father compared the quality to his favourite firearm, the Hämmerli 208 pistol) and it is exceedingly accurate. It was made in early 1976.

I've only just acquired the HW35K but already I'm impressed. The build isn't as refined as the FWB but it's impressive and I'm sure it will last longer than me. I was a little wary of buying a modern HW35 as I've read that quality isn't what it used to be, but this one is good to my eye. The open sights are excellent, and I'm going to refrain from buying a scope until I've become more proficient with them. It is a recent example.

I bought the Original 23 for my seven year old nephews to learn shooting with, but alas they are more interested in their Nintendos. Fortunately, this means that I get to play with it more. For a cheap junior rifle, build quality is very good, and the simple construction makes it the only rifle I can strip with confidence. I've replaced the mainspring in this one and scrubbed it up a little. It shoots about 4cm to the right at 10 metres, but it groups well so aiming off isn't a problem. It is dated 1978.

The FWB65 is a recent purchase, and as with the 300S, I am hugely impressed with both build quality and accuracy. The grip is small, and I have large hands, but nevertheless I find it very comfortable. Like the 300S, I expect to keep it forever (politicians allowing). It still has the yellow seals, so could do with a blue set installing soon but it shoots very well for the moment. I am not sure of the age of this example, but I think it's probably mid-production period.

I've had the TAU 7 for seven years now and although the finish is best described as "functional" the manufacture is very good quality. It's very accurate and despite being CO2 powered doesn't seem to be affected by extremes of temperature (although admittedly I haven't tried it in the snow). Mine was made in 1998.

No plinking pistol? I'm afraid my pistol technique is so poor that I can't hit a tin can with anything less than a target pistol!

Nice collection. I agree the 300s is in a different class to most new spring rifles. Nice to see a theme in the collection.

I am also going down the collecting the Feinwerkbau line of stuff at the moment. I bought three 300s models with a couple of months of each other (No idea why, but I'm pleased I did now). I have been spending my time restoring them to as as near as new condition as I could reasonably get them. All three are now reblued by Shaun of ISP. I've stripped and restored all three stocks and put new springs and seals in them all. They pretty much all look like new now.

I think my oldest one is around 1974 Serial Number 137xxx.

More here :- http://www.cones-stuff.co.uk/Feinwerkbau%20300s.htm

Then I started on the pistols. I have a Model 65 that is in very good condition, so no chance of me taking that one apart. The Model 90 is in good nick as well. My C10 CO2 is a little worn in places and the latest one a Model 103 is like new in the original case.

Thanks

Mark

Cool

Very nice

I would call it a collection though, i have 51 guns with bo particular theme and i call it a collection

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Very nice

I would call it a collection though, i have 51 guns with bo particular theme and i call it a collection

John
    Is that not just an accumulation?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Cones View Post
    I am also going down the collecting the Feinwerkbau line of stuff at the moment. I bought three 300s models with a couple of months of each other (No idea why, but I'm pleased I did now). I have been spending my time restoring them to as as near as new condition as I could reasonably get them. All three are now reblued by Shaun of ISP. I've stripped and restored all three stocks and put new springs and seals in them all. They pretty much all look like new now.
    Your website is excellent, Mark. I've spent a good few of hours reading it in recent weeks. I'll get my 300 reblued and refinish the stock eventually as although it functions beautifully, it's not the tidiest example.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Very nice
    Cheers. I was originally after a FWB124 instead of the HW35K, but was put off by some comments about the 124 being quite hold sensitive. I'm more than happy with the HW35K, but it would be nice to complete the FWB set.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Superb thread -- just what this section is all about. Many thanks.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Nice collection. Re. the FWB 65 I think you should consider changing the piston bumper if it is the original one (ie. yellow heading for brown rather than the lemony yellow of a new one) because even if it's not crumbling it has probably lost its elasticity and so will absorb the piston impact less well than a modern bumper. True, the pistol's construction is bomb proof but if you're planning to change the piston bumper and breech seal (the blue one) anyway then you might as well bring it forward. If the piston is mid-production that means it's about 30 years old!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Cones View Post
    Is that not just an accumulation?

Mark

Ha Ha Ha!!!!

You're probably right Mark

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Re. the FWB 65 I think you should consider changing the piston bumper if it is the original one (ie. yellow heading for brown rather than the lemony yellow of a new one)...
    Here's the breech seal. I've not noticed any of the tell-tale fragments of plastic I've read about, but I'll certainly get it serviced as you say.

Yes, looks like the old seal.

I had the same on one of my 300s rifles I just serviced. It was not breaking apart, but it did not give quite the resistance on closing that the new Blue seal does.

On one of the other 300s rifles the piston buffer was starting to turn to cheese. It made it difficult to remove. I had to nibble away at it with a pair of needle nose pliers. I did each of mine as it was reassembled as I can see it being a few years before they need to be stripped down again.

Mark

Nice collection there NIKKORMAT. Dont worry about a 'theme'. Ive a few guns in my collection and the only thing absent is a theme.

May I bring your attention to my signature and our clubs event of Sunday 11th April and the possibility of increasing your collection.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    May I bring your attention to my signature and our clubs event of Sunday 11th April and the possibility of increasing your collection.
    Thanks, I.J.

I did come up to Rivington Riflemen a few years ago and had a great evenings shooting. Unfortunately I don't have a car so it's a bit of a trek, but there's a chance I may be moving up to Bolton in the next few months so I may join.