Thread: is the HW40 acurate enough for 10m?

is the HW40 acurate enough for 10m?

I like makeing/modifing things and would like to modifiy a cheap pistol into one for 10m, by making some anatomical grips trigger mods etc.
    This is a fun project for its own sake i know i could probly buy a decent target pistol for the time/money i spend but i want to do it my self.

im a sculptor and bronze founder by trade so am pretty handy with tools etc.

the qustion is whats the most acurate/cheapest pistol to start with, my reaserch points to the HW40 because its recoiless and has a decent barrel and trigger makeing it a good place to start.

cheers

Yes, the '40 is plenty accurate for 10m competitions right out of the box without any mods. If you click on the UBC link in my sig, have a look at the last few months' 10m competition results, and in particular the SSP category.

You'll see some very respectable 10m scores posted using HW40s, Gamo Compacts and Webley Alectos - all reasonably-priced guns and even more so second hand.

Hope that helps, and I hope to see you taking part in the comps when your project is complete.

I’d suggest a Crosman 2240 as the donor pistol because there is more scope for modification and tinkering than just about any other pistol.

Fitting anatomical grips to a HW40 might be rather difficult because the frame and grips of the pistol are a one piece moulding.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I’d suggest a Crosman 2240 as the donor pistol because there is more scope for modification and tinkering than just about any other pistol.

Fitting anatomical grips to a HW40 might be rather difficult because the frame and grips of the pistol are a one piece moulding.
    Good point, that.
    Best use a pistol with grip scales like a Gamo PR45 or a Webley Nemesis.
    I'm sure there are more...

Webley Alecto would make a good choice, the grips can be swapped for lefties so I'm sure you could make some custom wooden ones to fit, would look like a beefed up gamo compact! The trigger has loads of adjustments but mines a little creepy right before it breaks. I've found increasing the pull weight slightly from the lightest setting makes for a more consistent and predictable pull as the extra weight "masks" the creepiness. I'm sure a little tweaking with the internals could eliminate it entirely, in fact, I might have a go myself as I never bothered to get my warranty card in in time so now worries about voiding it! Lol!

Overall though, the Alecto is well accurate, just check out the scores on the UBC website!
    Last edited by Thanaton23; 27-03-2010 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Added a bit

thanks for the info, guys good point about the non removable grips on the HW40, though i have been thinking about making a new frame and just using the barrel cylinder and trigger, that way i can radically increase the rake of the grip which seems to be one of the most if not the most important difference between a 10m pistol and a sport pistol.

i like the sound of the alecto as i could then have a pistol for 10m and pistol FT but they're a bit pricey to cut up and i don't suppose id find a 2nd hand one yet.

like i say i like a challenge ive made new frames for motorcycles and bicycles in the past so how hard can it be?

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by malakiblunt View Post
    thanks for the info, guys good point about the non removable grips on the HW40, though i have been thinking about making a new frame and just using the barrel cylinder and trigger, that way i can radically increase the rake of the grip ...
    Bear in mind that on the HW40 not only are the grips moulded as part of the frame, the trigger mechanism is contained within the upper half of the grip, relying on pivot points moulded on the interior, and extends down as far as the allen-head bolt in the grip (this secures the left hand grip, which is removeable to expose the mechanism. The steel bushing that it screws into acts as a location for one of the springs).

There's a picture showing what I mean here (under "Internal Springs":
    http://my.tbaytel.net/coopers/HW40Review/review.html

Iain

Thanks for that link Iain thats briliant info.
    I can use that photo to do some rough layout designs to see if its possible to get a 10m layout with the slanted grip and low barrel line, that im after.

The frame mountings wont be a problem as i can cast a new frame in aluminum (perks of the day job).

cheers

philip

I suggest a HW 75, as it does have a proper frame on which to build some grips, a bit on the costly side for a trial project ...
    AA Ev Mk3
    Whiscombe FB60 (Silver) Nikko 10-50x60

Thumbs up Hw40 ??

Accurate enough??, depends what U want to do the ubc run some fun comps, &
    the hw40 would be ideal for it.If your going to a 10 mtr pistol club to shoot in their comps or postal shoots U need to aim a little higher @ least a Gamo compact or possibly the new webley Alecto, both of these have palm shelves &
    some degree of anatomical grip to aid your shooting if you do go to a club U will see many top end pistols & may find a good used 1 available!. Whatever you decide enjoy your shooting its a challenging an interesting sport..mike..

Quote Originally Posted by mickson View Post
    Accurate enough??, depends what U want to do the ubc run some fun comps, &
    the hw40 would be ideal for it.
    I second Mike the HW40 is more than good enough to enter UBC comps. But if you are going in for NSRA or other national comps you will most likely need to 'aim higher' as Mike put it. You can review the previous postings on here re good target pistols, see whats available secondhand and don't rule out CO2.

As you can see I have a PCP for serious stuff, and an HW40 - of all the cheap, dare I say 'toy' airguns I've tried the HW40 is the most superbly accurate. ....more accurate than me! But as already said, for serious shooting you might want better grips and trigger mechanisms.

Linnet67
    My Guns: a Walther LP200;& a Weihrauch HW40PCA

HW 40 accuracy with the right pellet is literally unquestionable,

will reach out 20yds plus,

Found Daystate Selects in 4.51mm were perfect for mine, coupled with twin screw medium height mounts and a Rhino 3x32 pistol scope,

Sniper pistol capable of scoring 50 at six/10 yards,

If I may suggest making a poly mould of the butt you would be able to make a sleeve butt in any configuration you fancy,

Just a thought,

Good Luck,

Bernard.

thanks guys all good stuff

ive just 'accidently' brought a fwb 65 of egun.

which will obviosly do a much better job of 10m than i will and wont be improved by my fetterlin!

so for this project pistol im going to move it more towards FT so will be wanting a bit more poke, Alecto looks a good choice.

ill keep you posted

I'd certainly be interested in possible modifications to the Alecto, particularly the trigger and the possibility of custom match grips! Keep us posted!