Thread: 115m/125 yards with Xtra 5.52 30ft.lbs

115m/125 yards with Xtra 5.52 30ft.lbs

I ran across a friend this week who showed me his AA Xtra in 30ft.lbs config. he had remarked how accurate it was and peeping through the spotter at his 50m groups it showed the minute groups he was shooting with it. He told me that the ES on his magazine was less than 10ft/s so I suggest to stretch its legs abit. We placed a large piece of cardboard at the said distance and I wanted to get a dope for it.

Since my 25 needs about 5.8Mils at this distance, I thought this girlie 22 caliber would need around 20MOA to get out there and probably a tad more. Windage I had no idea but in the winds blowing on the day I thought close to 2mils for a 0.25cal so a tad more for the 22 cal. I dialed 20MOA and 4MOA windage. Fired the first one and i got an impact on a rock under the target and a couple inches right. I thout 21MOA should do it for elevation and 5MOA wind. Fired a second one and I was up there printing on the edge of the target. I thought wind call was good enough so i went for a group. Waited for the conditions to settle, while monitoring the grass on the first 70m I fired each shot. first 3 shot group was this.
    http://pic60.picturetrail.com/VOL177.../384950562.jpg

I thought the vertical spread was quite good so I wanted to print some more shots and get an idea of what a 10 shot string would do. Whether I am shooting rifles or their air powered counterparts, I like 10 shots for string variance.
    http://pic60.picturetrail.com/VOL177.../384949992.jpg

I waited a tad more dialed the scope down a little to print a tad lower and went with 4 shots aiming at the top left corner of the square. This one printed Sub MOA and needless to say, the owner was thrilled. When I told him what the group was like, he went down range and saw him coming back with a huge smile. I was more impressed by the fact that I could get it to shoot well in the wind conditions on the day and with an eye on the wind, I shot better than I do with my 25cal even with a pellet half the weight and energy. It is more consistant than mine but still made quite a wizz sound down range.
    http://pic60.picturetrail.com/VOL177.../384949989.jpg

I plugged in some numbers in Chairgun and it said that a 960ft/s jsb would require a 21.6MOA at the distance and about 6inches/5MOA of wind at 125yards. If you look at the bottom of the last target I shot you can see a small diagram on the lower right corner where I sketched estimates of the wind on the range that day. the first 50-70m had about 3mph of wind and chairgun says that a 3mph wind blowing from 9 to 3 oclock would require 5MOA. Very accurate i would say. I will print it out for next time
    njoy
    Last edited by flims; 29-03-2010 at 12:14 PM.

Nice shooting at 115m ! Hope for no windy, hot, spring and summer days this year for long range targeting . The 2010 period has begin !