Thread: Japanese vintage airguns

Japanese vintage airguns

Does anyone on here own a vintage Japanese made spring airgun or air rifle, that they would be willing to share information about, such as make, markings, caliber, barrel length, stock type, etc.

I'm looking to increase my knowledge about vintage Japanese made airguns, and would welcome any snippets of information.

I've placed a wanted ad for such items, but would also welcome information from any owners that don't want to sell.

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    I have never come across any mention of a Japanese spring air pistol, despite a lot of looking, and if you do find any information on these I would very much like to share it with you.
    The nearest thing I ever found was a LOC push barrel pistolk marked "Made in Japan" on the base of the wood grip. See:
    http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...LOCmarking.jpg

When I finally got the gun I found that it was the JGA Dolla Mark 2, made by Anschutz in Germany around 1939. See the comparison in :

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...comparison.jpg

It seems that this was amost certainly a ploy to get imports from Germany into the USA near the beginning of the war, when the USA had an embargo on imports from Nazi Germany. Items were shipped into the States via Japan after rebranding them as made in Japan. It is just possible that the parts weer assembled in Japan. I have no idea what LOC means.

I have the action of a "made in Japan" spring air rifle somewhere amongst my...pile.

ccdjg. That is interesting.
    If I come across LOC info I will let you know.
    Does the pistol have German markings or is it an assumption that it was German made?
    The Japanese made a number of legally licensed copies of firearms (and other items) from Germany, Great Britain, and the USA during the 1930's, so it might have been a licensed copy actually Made In Japan.

hwvixen. I'm interested to know more. PM to follow.

Japanese

I have a Japanese "Heirinkan 120X Target air rifle, I will E-mail you pictures of it.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406981

A couple of yours still on this thread, Lawrie.

www.vintageairguns.com, american site, try a search for japanese air rifles.
    There were some interesting posts some time ago.
    I also have a feeling that Grant Stace in NZ, airguns collectors forum, may have posted a picture or two.

Carl.

Carl. thanks for posting. I'm a regular visitor to the American Vintage Airguns forum, and have been in touch with Grant recently.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    If you get a copy of the splendid 1950s 'Smith's Gas Air and Spring Guns of the World' there is a section on Japanese air-rifles. I think they were all models made before World War Two and were designs based on the German Diana underlevers and break-barrels, he said they were of good quality. I can send you a photocopy when I get back to town.

The Japanese rifle I would like is the 1970s CO2 powered 'Howa', a bolt-action rifle with a magazine.

I am sure the Japanese could make superb spring-piston air-rifles, they certainly make very good quality firearms and the Sharps range of pump-ups was/is possibly the best in the world. Seem to be busy making the best air-soft instead now!

Japanese spring air rifle

There is one on this site - missing a few parts but shoots. Its a copy of the early BSA.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...tem=162807487:)

Correction to the site. If this does not work its in the air rifle section of Gunbroker.com

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=162807487

Trevorj Thanks for posting.
    I've seen that one, it's been for sale for a while. Takes 4.4mm BB
    Seller also had a junior size LION that sold recently.