Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: value of BP pistols

urx is offline 2,602.00 GBP −10.00 (0.38%) at the close

value of BP pistols

first off, total newbie as far as black powder goes so dont assume I know anything no matter how basic

Anyway, I was visiting a friend that is an RFD a couple of days ago and having a rummage through his stock to see what interesting things there were.
    a pair of Ruger old army pistols (adjustable sights if I recall correctly) one in stainless and one in blue. Stainless one looked standard.
    The blued one has had a nitro/shotgun primer conversion done. looked quite sympathetic too
    Both these were .45

Also there was a Rodgers and Spencer .44 which looked hardly used.

Obviously no idea what I'd be looking for on these as negotiating points or even what value to start at....

Any pointers and valuations welcome...
    Gun control means using both hands.

I paid £450 for a ROA recently, SS with Target sights. Do touch anything that is Not Stainless steel as it rusts & is a nightmare to clean.Look at the screws in the side. If they have been butchered by use of a wrong sized screwdriver, not good. If the cylinder has been damaged by fanning and nipples by dry firing, not good, If the cylinder moves alot on the center pin, not good. Otherwise they are going up in value & are fun to shoot. My prefers ball and 21 grains Swiss No 3

Quote Originally Posted by robkayak View Post
    Do touch anything that is Not Stainless steel as it rusts & is a nightmare to clean.
    Sorry I dont agree, as long as you clean as soon as you have finished shooting, dry and give a light oiling before storing you will not have a problem with non stainless guns.

£350 to £450 for the Rugers and upto £175 for the Rogers if in GOOD cond.
    Iv got a 51/2" Stainless Ruger and a .44 Rogers in London grey. Both are exellent pistols depends on the depth of your pockets and the size of your hands. The Rogers has a slightly bigger grip which may suit you better if you have big hands. See if anyone has one you can have a go with at your local club before comiting yourself but be aware they wont be around for long. Tim
    PS, as above. Keep it cleaned and oiled and it will last a life time. Yes stainless is nice to look at but it dosnt make it shoot any better than a std steel one.
    Last edited by tim56; 30-03-2010 at 11:54 AM. Reason: aditional.

Dear Wobbly

I see you have a ROA and quess what metal it is? STAINLESS

Dear Wobbly

I see you have a ROA and quess what metal it is? STAINLESS
    And whats does that prove.

I also stainless Le Page, and a non stainless FWB No1, and have had other non stainless BP pistols.

They all go through the same cleaning regime, as soon as I have finished shooting, I never leave them until the next day too clean. If I dont have the time to clean after shooting, the I dont shoot them.

None of them have ever had RUST on them.

I paid £450 for a ROA recently, SS with Target sights. Do touch anything that is Not Stainless steel as it rusts & is a nightmare to clean.Look at the screws in the side. If they have been butchered by use of a wrong sized screwdriver, not good. If the cylinder has been damaged by fanning and nipples by dry firing, not good, If the cylinder moves alot on the center pin, not good. Otherwise they are going up in value & are fun to shoot. My prefers ball and 21 grains Swiss No 3
    From the Ruger OA Instruction Manual
    "DRY-FIRING: Going through the actions of cocking, aiming, and pulling the
    trigger of an unloaded gun is known as “Dry Firing.” It can be useful to learn the
    “feel” of your revolver. Be certain the revolver is unloaded and that the gun is
    pointing in a safe direction even when practicing by dry-firing. The Ruger Old
    Army can be dry-fired without damage to the firing components.

I think the Ruger OA is about the only one you can do though !

My Pietta Remington needed a new set of nipples the day I bought it - all peened over !!

Cheers

Roy

Oh ...... and I think £425 for a stainless with target sights & £375 for a blued with target sights .... and about £50 off those prices for non target sights

.. and add about another £300 if you want to add one of Mr Westlake's fine & beautifully crafted nitro cylinders to go with your BP cylinder - I DID !!

urx is offline 2,602.00 GBP −10.00 (0.38%) at the close
    thanks guys, so consensus seems to be somehwere in the £300 to £450 range depending on condition, sights and base material of construction.

dont think my pockets or the FEO will run to all three so once I've selected what I fancy I'll share the knowledge re the remainder
    Gun control means using both hands.

The Ruger has seriously undersized grips, and it would appear, you would not be allowed to use it for "spirit of the original" comps - as it is not a copy of anything that ever existed.

Also, the tolerances are rather generous. It's also really a .45 rather than a .44.

It's more something for someone who would much rather have a c/f pistol but can't.

Not a fan.

Probably the best BP revolver would be one of the better Rem 1858 based replicas. Not too long ago there was a Hege on here. Overpriced IMHO, but way to go. Mine has a trigger that is "telepathic" yet 100% infallible. A match grade barrel and fit and finish that is beyond reproach.

Strong ramming lever system and a cylinder that is off in seconds without tools, so you can if you prefer, ram with a press.

SS/ non SS? You still have to clean up after each shoot. Do it and you'll not have any issues. Neglect, and even the SS will suffer. Especially with Pyrodex. If you do use it (and I do) spray the gun over liberally with any oil you wish, gun oil, wd40, whatever, before you leave the range!

It's a personal choice here but the blued guns look the part better.

Dryfiring? Mine, the hammer justabout does not contact the bare nipple, and instead rests on the frame, so dry firing is OK. Again, it's to do with the build quality, possibly a lesser item would have the hammer rest on the nipples to ensure ignition.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by urx View Post
    thanks guys, so consensus seems to be somehwere in the £300 to £450 range depending on condition, sights and base material of construction.

dont think my pockets or the FEO will run to all three so once I've selected what I fancy I'll share the knowledge re the remainder
    I'm interested on how you got on, have been offered a ROA S/Steel for £350 from a member of my club, and he is quoting S/Hand prices of £595 or £625 from Peter Starley gun shop, obviously I'm trying to get it down a bit as have seen one on Guntrader for £250 private sale.
    Winchester 94 38/357
    Ruger/Volquartsen 10/22
    Marlin .22lr Bolt

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by urx View Post
    a pair of Ruger old army pistols (adjustable sights if I recall correctly) one in stainless and one in blue. Stainless one looked standard.
    The blued one has had a nitro/shotgun primer conversion done. looked quite sympathetic too
    Both these were .45
    Could a converted-to-nitro Ruger OA continue to use black powder, in a separate cylinder? Or would the conversion make it completely nitro-only?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Take it, but get him to throw in as much paraphernalia as possible. They are the best B powder revolvers & they do not make them any more. Also they convert to nitro very well. I am getting 2 1/2 groups witth mine at 25 M now and I paid & £450 for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Could a converted-to-nitro Ruger OA continue to use black powder, in a separate cylinder? Or would the conversion make it completely nitro-only?

Jim
    No Jim, the nitro conversion can still shoot BP using its original cylinder.

paid 80 quid for my Rogers in as new condition.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly 2 View Post
    No Jim, the nitro conversion can still shoot BP using its original cylinder.
    So, get the ROA, and an extra cylinder, and you've got it made!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone