Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AIRSPORTER S Valuation

Smile AIRSPORTER S Valuation

Hello has any body got an idea what this AIRSPORTER S S/N GMO1666 May be
    worth. Also is it worth trying to find original open sites or just put a scope on.
    and can any one identify the Stock timber I think WALNUT but an expert says no.

Thank you M

try link as slide show
    http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/ultras...eat=directlink
    Last edited by merlin5oaks; 02-04-2010 at 09:00 PM. Reason: link added

Airsporter S

Hi M

Your S looks very much like a Mk1 S
    I have got a couple of these and have owned others over the years
    All mine have had walnut stocks and were advertised as such
    Many Mk 2 S models that I have seen have had beech stocks (walnut stained). There was also a Mk3 version which was very nice

Value depends very much on condition and calibre. The .177's usually go for another £50-75 more than a .22

A ball park figure for a .22 Mk 1 S in nice condition (IMHO)would be £175 or £200-£220 if excellent. Mint condition would attract another £50-£75
    John
    hold me back !!

Agreed, mine is a .22 seies 1 its walnut stocked, very dark walnut. scope u want is a bsa mark 10 4X40, u will also need a bsa scope stop if u want originality. John Knibbs has the scope stops. I have been serching for the above scope to go with my s but no luck. My S cost £98.00 in the 80,s. Good luck.

Re Your Airsporter S

I think that your rifle would be more desirable with it's open sights,I think that all Airsporters look better with open sights, I shoot most of mine with open sights these older guns seem to shoot even better with open sights don't forget most of the Airsporters were around before the good scopes today that are built with recoiling springers in mind.

I have no Idea however what your mark ONE Airsporter S is worth

stock

Looks like walnut to me. These are lovely looking old rifles
    Agree with values

Airsporter s

Are they holes each side of the fore end? Jenny Dipple

hi, i have a mk1 s with a gm serial no, my stock is a light walnut as i suspect yours is ,mine came with the original metal sights which suit it very well.i would try and source some of these.as for value those much more knowledgable than myself have allready posted..i personally would not sell mine as they are a joy to shoot when fettled and will never be worth any less ..cheers greasemonkey
    more guns than you can shake a stick at!

Holes

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Dipple View Post
    Are they holes each side of the fore end? Jenny Dipple
    Think a previous owner must have fitted swivels or the like for a strap I thought it best not to try and cover up.

Cheers M

Smile Airsporter s

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    hi, i have a mk1 s with a gm serial no, my stock is a light walnut as i suspect yours is ,mine came with the original metal sights which suit it very well.i would try and source some of these.as for value those much more knowledgable than myself have allready posted..i personally would not sell mine as they are a joy to shoot when fettled and will never be worth any less ..cheers greasemonkey
    I am going to sell it when its ready but only because I have 2 Mk 2s That require some tlc and even my other half who doesnt like the attention the guns get(to put it mildly)has commented what a really nice looking gun the MK 2s are.

All the best M

Smile Air sporter s

Quote Originally Posted by pennineway.fswo View Post
    Hi M

Your S looks very much like a Mk1 S
    I have got a couple of these and have owned others over the years
    All mine have had walnut stocks and were advertised as such
    Many Mk 2 S models that I have seen have had beech stocks (walnut stained). There was also a Mk3 version which was very nice

Value depends very much on condition and calibre. The .177's usually go for another £50-75 more than a .22

A ball park figure for a .22 Mk 1 S in nice condition (IMHO)would be £175 or £200-£220 if excellent. Mint condition would attract another £50-£75
    John
    Forgive my ignorance but what does imho mean. and yes I will try and get some sights pity webley dont fit I have a spare set and would you say the stock was Wanut or ?

Thank you every body for the input M

The original open sights for the Airsporter and Mercury S variants were metal (Mazak), as rare as a honest politician, but the later plastic open sights should fit.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin5oaks View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but what does imho mean.

Thank you every body for the input M
    It's an abbreviation (text speak) for "In my humble opinion".....I am guilty of using it as well, but thankfully most of the old duffers in this section still write predominately in long hand

Nice gun by the way!

ATB (see, I've done it again!)

Ed.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    It's an abbreviation (text speak) for "In my humble opinion".....I am guilty of using it as well, but thankfully most of the old duffers in this section still write predominately in long hand

Nice gun by the way!

ATB (see, I've done it again!)

Ed.
    Thank you and I offer my humble apologies for not knowing the Abbreviation.

Post script for the S

Just had it Chrono tested at Sandwell Field Sports (who did not charge) it is only 5 ftlbs way under. The spring feels ok when cocking I think the leather washer if one is fitted has dried out.The gun was stored a long time

Its a rubber/neoprene/?? type 'O' ring on these. Easy to source and cheap. Perhaps a new standard spring and re-grease? Your greatest difficulty I would guess in a strip down would be removing the end block which, if it hasn't been moved before, can be a right pig. Otherwise they are quite easy rifle to work on.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Its a rubber/neoprene/?? type 'O' ring on these. Easy to source and cheap. Perhaps a new standard spring and re-grease? Your greatest difficulty I would guess in a strip down would be removing the end block which, if it hasn't been moved before, can be a right pig. Otherwise they are quite easy rifle to work on.

ATB
    Ian
    Thanks for the info will keep you posted I will try and get it stripped tomorrow.
    ALL the best M