Thread: Izh-46 owners - How do you cock yours?

Izh-46 owners - How do you cock yours?

For 4 years I've been cocking my Izh-46 by opening the pump lever until it just pulls forward, slightly, the sliding cover at the breech to release, but only just release, the lever at the breech which carries the transfer port. This then needs pulling up and back through 90 degrees to set the valve mechanism, before the compression stroke of the pump lever.

At the club yesterday though, someone else tried it (I'd just tried his Steyr LP2) and after I'd explained the above procedure, he opened the pump lever and kept going. This didn't just release the breech lever, but completely cocked it. This took me by surprise at first, but having tried it myself it does seem to work quite properly (it is also much more convenient, as the pump lever can be opened and closed in one single movement without releasing it).

So - have I been misunderstanding the instructions all this time? The relevant part from the manual [with how I read it added] is:

7.3 Prepare your air pistol for fire as follows:
    1) swing the pumping lever to its fully forward position.
    [And then, in a separate step,] Turn the breech block up [by hand] through 90 degrees to open the barrel breech;
    2) return the pumping lever to its initial position;
    3) insert a pellet into the barrel bore;
    4) turn the breech block until it locks in its initial position.
    Iain

I have always done the full pump and cock thing.. (rude). Saw a demo on Pyramid air.
    Also always leave sliding cover open when storing as preserves seal.
    Last edited by gingernut; 03-04-2010 at 11:59 AM. Reason: spell

I'll try the single-motion cocking style for a while then - it should certainly be much more convenient.

I was just a bit concerned that the relevant linkage between the various necessary parts was a bit convoluted. Maybe that's the Baikal all over, though - not very elegant BUT IT WORKS.

Iain