once again loads of advice to ponder on

thanx guys

really really tempeted by this

http://cgiWalther-3-9x56-Illuminated...item35a2095dd1

####
    Last edited by pigeonian; 06-04-2010 at 03:00 PM. Reason: #### link sorry

going to try the torch with a red filter tnite .let you know how it goes

cheers ian

Looking forward to hearing how people get on with red filters as couldn't contemplate nv with my budget.

A friend and i used to have a rat shoot on a farm many years ago. he bought a lamp that you couldve signalled Batman with and unsurprisingly unless we were quick, when the lamp went on, the rats would scarper.

He then purchased a red filter for it and the difference it made was amazing.

This was before NV was commonplace though so i think if the funds were available NV would probably be the most efficient method but then sometimes its the challenge thats the fun part. Unless of course you have a real vermin problem and ruthless efficiency is what you need.

As i said though i've never used NV so i can only go from what others say on that subject.

Good luck and enjoy your ratting!

night vision isnt really a viable option yet.

the garden i full of bushes and mesh fences you have to shoot threw and all you get is flash back with the IR light.

my plan is still the best i can think of, ill be ordering some IR led flood lights to set up inside the shoot area so we can stand back threw the bushes and behind the fence but the light will only be in the area we want to be shooting in. so we should be able to view threw all the bstructions without the glare of the IR whiting out the nv.

the range we were shooting at was under 10 yards. we sat on the path and a rat was sniffing at my jacket while we were sat.

ive used the red filter on the torch and i thought it worked ok but you said it was scaring them away?

Quote Originally Posted by jenky View Post
    night vision isnt really a viable option yet.

the garden i full of bushes and mesh fences you have to shoot threw and all you get is flash back with the IR light.

my plan is still the best i can think of, ill be ordering some IR led flood lights to set up inside the shoot area so we can stand back threw the bushes and behind the fence but the light will only be in the area we want to be shooting in. so we should be able to view threw all the bstructions without the glare of the IR whiting out the nv.

the range we were shooting at was under 10 yards. we sat on the path and a rat was sniffing at my jacket while we were sat.

ive used the red filter on the torch and i thought it worked ok but you said it was scaring them away?

No mate, the bright white light scared them away. the red filter was very effective at not scaring them away straight away.

EDIT: Sorry, i got you mixed up with the OP and i thought you were asking me about the filter. The OP said his red laser was scaring them away. i'll stay off this thread before i confuse anyone anymore. Sorry lads.

doc steve is offline i was never here ok you never saw me i went that way --->
    how about a car battery and some small ish lights that are kept on till they get used to em cheapest way i can think of