Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is it a bsa mercury mk2?

is it a bsa mercury mk2?

hi,i've just acquired a bsa mercury with a stock i've never seen on a mercury so i'm not sure wether the stock is an original,can't find any pics online of this particular stock.
    the gun itself is i'd say 95-97% in condition,maybe a very slight fadeing of the blueing,the serial number is ZB1188 can anyone confirm if the stock is genuine or a later custom job,according to bsa owners site the zb is a mercury mk2 74-78...pics below
    http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/...9/STA61849.jpg
    http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/...9/STA61850.jpg
    http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/...9/STA61851.jpg
    http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/...9/STA61852.jpg
    thanks for reading

Looks to me like an original Merc. stock with chequering added along with a re-shaped butt and pistol grip?

I agree with the above. Would say it's mk1 or mk2, very little difference between the two models, infact I think only the open sights differ slightly.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by styggron View Post
    Looks to me like an original Merc. stock with chequering added along with a re-shaped butt and pistol grip?
    there's no way this is a standard stock that has been reshaped,this stock was made from scratch in this style.
    but i do have a feeling the stock is not original,possibly it came of a later model or it's some kind of custom jobbie although not a very imaginative custom job
    http://bsaog.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2587.0 zb according to this site dates it as a mk2 74-78

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by weebster View Post
    there's no way this is a standard stock that has been reshaped,this stock was made from scratch in this style.
    but i do have a feeling the stock is not original,possibly it came of a later model or it's some kind of custom jobbie although not a very imaginative custom job
    http://bsaog.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2587.0 zb according to this site dates it as a mk2 74-78
    HAH!!- beat me to it Weebster

The list is somewhere in the archive on here too

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

You're probably right, looking at the butt there is quite a lot of drop towards the 'bottom' part (is it the heel or the toe I'm not sure?); the standard Mercury stock maybe didn't have enough wood to begin with to allow this amount of drop to be achieved if you see what I'm getting at. The bit that has me thinking standard Merc. stock is the tip of the forend which if the piece is a later custom job has been shaped without much flair; an oblique cut or something along those lines would have looked a bit more interesting. (And would more convincingly denote a custom stock built from scratch.)
    Last edited by styggron; 04-04-2010 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by styggron View Post
    You're probably right, looking at the butt there is quite a lot of drop towards the 'bottom' part (is it the heel or the toe I'm not sure?); the standard Mercury stock maybe didn't have enough wood to begin with to allow this amount of drop to be achieved if you see what I'm getting at. The bit that has me thinking standard Merc. stock is the tip of the forend which if the piece is a later custom job has been shaped without much flair; an oblique cut or something along those lines would have looked a bit more interesting. (And would more convincingly denote a custom stock built from scratch.)
    on closer inspection i'd say it's not a custom job,the chequering is defo looking like it was machine pressed rather than hand cut which would suggest it's a factory stock,the pistol grip is capped with a piece of darker wood.
    did bsa do a monte carlo style stock minus the chequering.capping....really is a bit of a puzzle this one
    although i'm sarting to think you maybe right,the mercury stock(not s model)had a square cheek piece,could this have been re-shaped into the monte carlo style?
    i wish i had a standard stock to compare it with lol!
    btw the bit at the top of the butt is the heel,the pointy bit at the bottom is the 'toe'
    Last edited by weebster; 04-04-2010 at 07:16 PM.

The toes' the pointy bit, the heels' the round bit - so it's just like a foot really!,
    After all these years I've finally got it - thanks!
    I agree that your best bet would be to get another standard stock for
    comparison. Anyway, I should think it handles very nicely and adds a lot to the gun.

it's certainly got some power,as i found out this afternoon although it is a wee bit 'twangy'

The Mk1 Merc had a rear sight that was held on by a roll pin through the sight. The Mk2 had an rear sight like the later models. Mk1 and 2 also had one piece cocking levers. Later models had the 2 piece.
    Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Sabo View Post
    The Mk1 Merc had a rear sight that was held on by a roll pin through the sight. The Mk2 had an rear sight like the later models. Mk1 and 2 also had one piece cocking levers. Later models had the 2 piece.
    Hope this helps
    i will inspect it and see,although i reckon the rear sight is off a later model,could be wrong but it seems very late 90's ish

it has a one piece cocking lever and the stock looks like it was made to accommodate such an action,the trigger housing looks like it's been repainted on the top and the trigger guard in gun metal grey then laquerd the finish is good although i would prefer to see it in black.
    now the real headache is what is it worth,i guess it will be a bit more than a standard mk2.....how much is a mk2 worth?

I...

...recently paid 150 for a Merc S in 0.22" good condition, no doubt could find cheaper but I wanted it

I'd say about 150 again for this one not knowing whether the stock is pukka or not, nice as it is

Further...

...thoughts having read all the posts, sorry to say the finish on the trgger blocks usually has an impact on value. Non standard/missing finish knocks value off, sorry

Have to say I think the stock may have started life as an S stock, re-shaped a little and a grip cap added?

it's not an 's' stock,the 's' stock would have been made to fit a 2 piece cocking lever,this rifle has a one piece lever like the mk1 merc,the chequering is wrong,the wood on my stock is defo beech on the 's' models it was walnut and the 's' model merc i owned back in the early 80's the chequering was stained a different colour from the stock if i recall,forend shape on mine is that of a standard stock which i now think has been re-worked by a pro to an excellent finish....if you like gloss
    have a look here...
    http://bsaog.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=14463.0
    plenty of ads for bsa's from years ago!