Thread: Webley Mk 1 Air rifle .177 serial N0 1434

Webley Mk 1 Air rifle .177 serial N0 1434

This gun is featured in the two Dennis Hillier books, I do not expect it to be for sale very long, take that any way you like

The £700 price is non negotiable.

If I were buying this gun I would get it overalled and reblued, the trigger block maybe sorted there is a 1mm gap between it and the stock see trigger adjusting screw picture, in my view for cosmetic value. The price would then be increased.

This gun is untouched mechanically, the screw heads are good. I bought it from Pax Airguns, Archway in November 1980, for what was then and still is a lot of money I have not fired this gun at least not over the last 20 years.

The gun has been cocked and then de-cocked, the spring is surprisingly strong ,there is no rust. The gun has occasionally been sprayed with a gun
    oil. the stock is in good condition, with only one or two noticable dinks.

Pictures hopefully will follow soon
    abewilson.
    ''The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens''
    Baha'u'llah 1817-1892.

Pics of Abe's Webley MK1 here!
    blah blah

pm sent
    THE ORACLE

Thank-you Jean marck

For the speed in posting the pics.

I have to decline your offer I do have a GEM

The Mk 1 is still looking for a new owner

ATB
    abewilson.
    Baha'u'llah 1817-1892.

Webley Mk1 .177 AIR RIFILE N0 1434

Thank-you Jean marck

ATB
    abewilson.
    Baha'u'llah 1817-1892.

Quote Originally Posted by abewilson View Post
    Thank-you Jean marck

ATB
    That's quite alright, Mr Wilson. Thank-you for letting me down gently!...I was even prepared to swap one of my very bestest Gems for it too! (but not a JM!)
    blah blah

Webley Mk1 .177 AIR RIFILE N0 1434

Hi Jean Marck

My curiosity is is aroused forgive my ignorance

What is a JM ????? not sure where my Gem is at the moment

who knows I may already have a JM
    abewilson.
    Baha'u'llah 1817-1892.

Hi Jean Marck

My curiosity is is aroused forgive my ignorance

What is a JM ????? not sure where my Gem is at the moment

who knows I may already have a JM

JM = Jean Marck, a Belgian gunsmith who made T-bar Gems.

Hunt down your old Gem and check if it has any of these distinguishing features...

1) T-bar barrel latch - with or without markings such as a patent date stamp like "DSE 3,12,91". There are other sorts of markings aswell, I own one with the Letter "M" and seen pics of another with the word "ACIER" stamped onto the T-bar

2) Heavy fully octagonal barrel (around 22mm in diameter for the No2 and No3...)

3) Hooked trigger guard (but not always as pronounced)

4) 2 screws heads on the lefthand side of the action near the stock. One will be a long bolt to pinch the cylinder together, the other will be a grub screw that goes through the side wall of the cylinder and into the end plug to locate it in line with the action.

go look now...it's important!

Link to a thread with lots of pics of two JM No2's
    blah blah

Hi DCL Dave

My exploration has pleased me I located my Gem and although it does not have a spring, and the butt plate has a screw missing. The sights are both there, from all outward appearances it seems complete. I am baffled as to what the u shape cut out on the breech was meant for, would you know ?

I have no doubt that it is very old the screw heads appear so worn that the slot used to unscrew them has worn almost smooth, There are traces of chrome around linking parts. The stock is very plain and has a varnished finish, with a few dinks that has been there since I have had it 30 + years.

The only marks I can find so far are 3 number 24's on different parts of the breech and butt plate

The gun overall reeks of antiquity. The pictures are for your study and if you like you can put them on the BBS site. No it is not for sale. I want to enjoy it and discover new things about it. I bought it from Hugh Earl of Pax Airguns I may call in on him one day and ask what stately home he purchased it from

Thanks Dave for increasing my knowledge on JM
    abewilson.
    Baha'u'llah 1817-1892.

Hi DCL Dave

My exploration has pleased me I located my Gem and although it does not have a spring, and the butt plate has a screw missing. The sights are both there, from all outward appearances it seems complete. I am baffled as to what the u shape cut out on the breech was meant for, would you know ?

I have no doubt that it is very old the screw heads appear so worn that the slot used to unscrew them has worn almost smooth, There are traces of chrome around linking parts. The stock is very plain and has a varnished finish, with a few dinks that has been there since I have had it 30 + years.

The only marks I can find so far are 3 number 24's on different parts of the breech and butt plate

The gun overall reeks of antiquity. The pictures are for your study and if you like you can put them on the BBS site. No it is not for sale. I want to enjoy it and discover new things about it. I bought it from Hugh Earl of Pax Airguns I may call in on him one day and ask what stately home he purchased it from

Thanks Dave for increasing my knowledge on JM
    Hi Abe,

Nice Gem, thanks for the pics, I'l upload them and post links when I get in from work tonight...

Your dolls-head catch type Gem was most probably made by flurscheim/Bergmann of Eisenwerke Gaggenau, sometime between 1882-1914...althought the rearsight being an integral part of the catch suggest earlier rather than later...

I'm not sure what the cutout in the side of the breech block is for?...possibly a homemade modification to allow a side stud to be fitted to the dolls-head catch to make it easier to open, maybe??...is there any sign of it having had a stud of some sort on the corresponding part of the catch?

Good job it's not for sale...already got 4 of them!

ATB,
    Dave

P.S. Sorry, your lovely Webley MK1 thread is getting trashed with all this Gem talk...I'll stop now
    blah blah