Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stingray serial number / age

stingray serial number / age

hi all,
    i've just bought a nice brummy stingray from the sales section,and was wondering if anyone in here can tell me its age?

the serial number is on the underside of the breech block and is 916797.
    if anyone can help,i'd bee most grateful.

also any opinions of the stingray/ experiences would be welcome.

thanks.
    GOOD DEALS...Here,post 6404

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Between 2002 and 2006, best I can do. Crakin' rifles, based on an up-date of the Webley Vulcan . Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Between 2002 and 2006, best I can do. Crakin' rifles, based on an up-date of the Webley Vulcan . Atb: G.
    i heard they are'nt easy to strip because of the trigger,is this right?
    apologies for going off track
    Last edited by weebster; 05-04-2010 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by weebster View Post
    i heard they are'nt easy to strip because of the trigger,is this right?
    Never stripped a Stingray right down, but assume it'd be as easy as stripping a Vulcan Mk.III, as they share the same internals and (I thought), trigger assembly ???

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

yes,i think people might be used to trigger units coming out as a whole 'block' like the hw record series,i think on the sr in order to get all the internals out the entire trigger unit/safety has to come apart to do it

thanks Gareth.. i thought it would be older than that.how can you tell? is there a site you go on ?

Quote Originally Posted by jeff0100 View Post
    thanks Gareth.. i thought it would be older than that.how can you tell? is there a site you go on ?
    They didn't start making them until 2001, and that serial number is later than on the Stingray I bought in January 2002, and the British Webley company went bust in (early) 2006.

They didn't start making them until 2001, and that serial number is later than on the Stingray I bought in January 2002, and the British Webley company went bust in (early) 2006.
    such a mine of information...thanks Gareth.

my stingray has an 891 number and from what iv`e been told it was made late2000 early 2001 looks like mine has a longbow stock fitted ?
    how does it work? i don`t know but it does

Quote Originally Posted by bangers View Post

my stingray has an 891 number and from what iv`e been told it was made late2000 early 2001 looks like mine has a longbow stock fitted ?
    Brum-built Stingray stocks have similar full length finger fluting grooves to a Longbow stock, true, so look similar, but are not Longbow stocks. The Longbow stock (and action), is an inch or so longer than the Stingray, with the stock mounting holes in different places, so can't be the same (currently have my Longbow and my Stingray in front of me as I type, so I know this to be correct and beyond any doubt). Your Stingray will probably be 2002, as they didn't start making and marketing them until 2001, and my 2002 Stingray's serial no. is lower than that. Interestingly, 2002 was in turn two years before the Longbow was introduced to replace the similarly stocked, long stroked Webley Tomahawk (I really should get out more ). Atb: G.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 06-04-2010 at 09:09 PM. Reason: to ad the bit about the Tomahawk.

Does yrs have white spacer under the butpad? Might tell us something about its age..My older 1 doesnt have this, my newer 1 did iirc..
    Further, yes, the trigger must be taken apart to strip. Its not a unit like Lb/Tommy.
    They're great little rifles, the Stingrays! I owned 2, one carbine Express version, 1 full length. Sold the second, didnt use it.
    ATB,
    yana

An unofficial factory record states that Stingray production started in August 2000 with S/No: 877834, and finished in December 2005 - no serial number quoted.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post

An unofficial factory record states that Stingray production started in August 2000 with S/No: 877834, and finished in December 2005 - no serial number quoted.
    Cheers David, then that ties in perfectly with what Pauline (ex of Webley & Scott) told me, that the full open marketing of the Stingray started in 2001, with the pre launch stock of Stingrays being prepared prior to this, and that the marketing of the same continued while stocks were still available, right through to 2006.

Must admit I too like these Webleys, in fact I prefer the Longbow to the HW95 these days, mine is as accurate as a very accurate thing

Anyone know of a .177 Tomahawk for sale?
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Does yrs have white spacer under the butpad? Might tell us something about its age..My older 1 doesnt have this, my newer 1 did iirc..
    Further, yes, the trigger must be taken apart to strip. Its not a unit like Lb/Tommy.
    They're great little rifles, the Stingrays! I owned 2, one carbine Express version, 1 full length. Sold the second, didnt use it.
    no white spacer on the one i just bought.maybe its an older one.?

Quote Originally Posted by baz View Post
    Must admit I too like these Webleys, in fact I prefer the Longbow to the HW95 these days, mine is as accurate as a very accurate thing

Anyone know of a .177 Tomahawk for sale?
    i really fancy a longbow Baz, but could'nt resist this stingray.