Thread: Engraved scope mounts

Engraved scope mounts

Hi all
    I have been after some engraved scope mounts for some time now, i know they was about in the early 80s thats why iam asking in here now, i have put an ad in the wanted section aswell.
    Iam after some for my hw35 that iam working on at the moment so has anyone got some to sell or know where i can get some.
    Heres Hopeing
    JJJJJJ

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I haven't seen any for sale, it might be worth giving Steve Pope or Airmasters a call, they might have some kicking around in their spares boxes ..

Otherwise I think you could probably get some mounts and have them engraved. I think you would have to get steel mounts rather than alloy, so perhaps put an advert up for them as well. The custom motorcycle people and obviously the posh shotgun people are keen on engraving, you might be able to find a reasonable craftsman in one of their mags or websites.

Good luck!

Engraved mounts

I remember them from the 80s, and the ones I saw were the common black individual aluminium ring mounts. I think they were done by Don Blocksidge (?) but I've no idea how much they cost then or would be worth now.
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

Do they need to be 11mm or 13mm, just a thought, as it would be rather upsetting to come across some, only to find they don't fit

Good Point mr auburn just checked its an early hw35 and they are 13 mm.
    Thanks
    JJJJJJ

13mm mounts

I too have been through the pain barrier with mounts for the older hw35. Thought I was sorted when I bought an Apel for £25, but with only windage adjustment was no good with the "barrel droop". These mounts don't respond well to shimming either as the ring screws are not parallel with each other, this simply means the screws don't line up properly with the holes in the lower half once shimmed.
    The only mount that solves all the problems for me is the bsa (b-square) fully adjustable, 603c, designed for the maxigrip rail. This does need to be machined on the underside to cope with the 35's cylinder. (the maxigrip rail is flat on top, the mount "belly's out" on the 35). This mount copes with both barrel droop and cross over issues.

regards, Mike

Well imust have one of the good hw35's as this one does not have any barrel droop, i have put an old asi 4 x32 jap made scope on it before i started to tune it and that was spot on at 30 yards with standard two piece mounts, but as iam doing a bit of work on it i just wanted to make it a bit diffrent with the engraved mounts.
    JJJJJJ
    p.s to be honest one of my hw80's has more of a barrel droop
    Last edited by jjjjjj; 08-04-2010 at 12:50 AM.

Getting...

...back to engraved mounts whenever I have, on the very rare occaision, seen any come up on here I.J. has bloody well got in there before me

You could try him and see if he's feeling generous

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    There are lots of cheap mounts on the BBS, why not get a Dremel & some hand tools and start making your own? Then you can be the BBS Scope Mount engraver. I'd like one with wild Boar and Christmas trees on mine, to give that German flavour.