Thread: Alternatives to Anschutz, FWB etc..

Alternatives to Anschutz, FWB etc..

Hi all

I'm a young shooter currently looking for a new gun. I have an 1807, but I'm looking to get something a bit more adjustable and probably with a heavier barrel

I've been looking at 19/2013s and FWBs, but was wondering if there's any other alternatives that might be worth a look at

Thanks

The other obvious mainstream candidate is the Walther. I personally shoot with an Anschutz but have purchased a number of FWB2700s for my Corps team. Very well equipped and shoot beautifully. Best bet is to try as many as you can.

Thanks. My main problem is as a student I don't have a budget as big as I'd like, but hopefully I'll find a bargain

Any particular Walther models?

Personally I would avoid Walther .22 rifles like the plague A couple of people I know have had issues with triggers and even mis-alligned barrels

What you need to do is set a Maximum budget and try to find the best deal you can get for that money.

I personally have an Anschutz 2013, most folk I shoot with have either Anschutz or Feinwerkbau's, a couple even have Bleikers but they're silly money.

Sadly nothing about this sport (like most others) is cheap, what you have to do is spend wisely, if you have access rifles at your club either other members or club rifles then give them a go and see what works for you.

If you can drop on a second hand alloy stock that your 18 series will fit in (any Anschutz action other than 20 series) then your half way there.

HTH

Alan

Spot on!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Anschutz 18 series action (it's a bit of a spot the difference competition with a current 19 series to be honest). Also, a lot of people prefer the lighter barrel fitted to the xx07 models, particularly if you intend to shoot 3 positions. I'd echo Alan's advice actually - fit your existing barrel and action in an alloy stock (secondhand these can usually be had for around £500 or so). You can even fit a 20 series stock wth an adaptor (£87 from memory). Then, in a few years time and when finances allow you could have a high grade match barrel fitted.

Funnily enough - that's exactly the route I took. A 1984 1813L got me shooting possibles, when I dropped it into a G&E Revolution stock my 3P scores went up and I have just fitted a Maddco barrel into another 1813L action.

I would advise fixing your budget and then placing a wanted advert on here and on Stirton. Get the word out through your club and county association also.

Good luck,

Dom.

Schultz and Larsen

The last time I was in Norman Clark's (Rugby) they had two Schultz and Larsen target rifles, diopter sights and the heaviest barrels I have seen in a 22lr. Reasonable prices as I recall. Not sure if the entire rifle was made by Schultz and Larsen, might be the barrel on another action.

Mike95

Walther, as mentioned, Remington also made a .22LR match, but kinda light iirc, as did Diana with model 800? But VERY rare! See one occasionally on egun. Also, there are the russians, Vostok etc. Our best ex-match shooter shot a Vostok. Regularly shot 600 ex 600 during training (kneeling, 12m). There probably are other eastern rifles too.
    But if you like anschutz, I'd stick with it. The 1807 is indeed adjustable, cheekpiece, with pads only. You'd need a younger 1 for more adjustability.
    You can alays add weight to yr barrel, but you cant remove it.
    Maybe just look for a 19xx sechand stock on egun??
    ATB,
    yana