Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: You must read this if you hunt at night or like gadgets

ND-3 & now ND-3 x 50 Yes I bought another one!

Hi there Lozninja thanks for posting this I am glad to see I am not alone in loving this unit!
    OK the battery problem sucks I agree but batteries do suffer in low temps so like you say I just keep spares warm and I have made a neoprene jacket for the unit this helped also. The reason the batteries suffer in cold conditions in these lasers are...... Well I dont know but with this neoprene jacket it does not worry mine. The reason I have gone a bit quiet on this thread is due to the response I got from members saying I had vested interest etc. Also I said I would get footage of this unit in use but a few days later my new HD camcorder which was adapted to fit my Sidewinder30 scope stopped working (I bought it from a guy called DanielAlain on Flea bay brand new it was clearly a refurb as he had left images from the first owner on the hard drive) I have been requesting my money back so I can but a new camera but he has stopped replying since the return of my camera to him. So now I have no cam and no money back GREAT ! Do fleabay care? They have our money so that will be a no then! I wont bother stressing the swear filter out here! This unit is awsome underneath is an snipit from article I wrote when out shooting with Dave Welham (AirMasters88) We only used the Laser once but at 150yrds the fox never new what hit him! The pics have been left out as I was unsure if I couls post them in this section!

Hunting fox with Dave Welham

My ND-3’s first outing

I think Dave enjoyed the trip to these two permissions as much as I had. It is great to shoot with someone with so much experience and skill. I have learned and can still learn so much from Dave so when he suggested another trip I was up for it without hesitation. John a long-time friend and shooting buddy of Dave’s was to join us. John sadly suffered a stroke 11yrs ago and since then has lost his ability to drive and shoot. However Dave has been taking him shooting every Tuesday since his debilitation. He enjoys being out doing lad stuff still despite his 70yrs of age and I was glad he would be joining us. This time we had got my new Laser Genetics ND-3 unit with us and once at the farm we would be fitting it to Dave’s rifle.

We were both excited about using the unit and got it on and set up quickly. Unfortunately the farm did not produce this time so we moved on to the golf course hopeful we would be luckier there. Dave was a little vexed by the windage adjustment on the ND-3 as it seems to move off the minute you touch it or lay the gun down. It may be the way we set it up as we were working in the back of a vehicle in fading light but Dave said it would do for tonight. We rounded the golf courses first main fairway and there about 200yrds a fox but then nothing… Dave urged me to move up a little closer, as I did a tap on my shoulder bought the Shogun to a halt, the fox had re-appeared! It was about 150yrds from us now in the dark shade of a tree (Shaded from the full moon). John and I both had lamps at the ready…. Dave did struggle to find the fox in the beam of the ND-3 but then he found it and his exact words were “Oh my god I can see him it’s like green daylight” All me and John could see was a green glow in the distance but Dave was saying he could see the fox perfectly. Seconds later a crack came from the 17 and Dave’s total for the year had now been raised to twenty two. We quickly made our way over to the downed fox I was excited and pleased that my ND-3 had assisted in the kill.

Now I did not shoot at all in these two outings but let me tell you, if you ever get a chance to go shooting with a legend like I did you must grab the chance with both hands. Not only did I learn stuff I became part of a memory and made a new friend, although John had a short evening he loves it when it’s a successful one, Dave had added to his yearly total and I had helped my farmer and local smallholder to get rid of some unwanted guests. All in all these were a great couple of days, I feel very privileged to have been there for both of them.

ATB Ghost Maker

Now I have got my ND-3 back off of Dave for my R10 but I liked this unit so much that I have just bought the ND-3 x 50 for the long range stuff, The x50 is of the scale we will be able to have a wider beam and still use it to search at longer ranges without looking through the scope. I believe the airgun set up would be best used with an NV Spoting monocular then shoot with the unit this is how I will be doing it.

Do I recommend you should buy one .... No let me and Lozninja have all the fun to ourselves ! The alternatives are go and buy a complete dedicated NV setup Gun, NV Scope etc or you could just use but a Cree led torch stick a green filter on it an pretend you have something as good as this one but I don't think you will convince anyone including the bunnies, foxes and rats.

The major pro's for me are --->>> The clarity of the image it is like looking through your scope but in green daylight wtih much better definition than any NV I have ever looked through including Gen3! --->>> Next is the Magnification I can use whatever mag I like on my scope and I can still use the sidewheel to rangefind something that is invaluable at night I am sure those who shoot at night will understand what I mean --->>> Finally the fact that it can be slid out of its mount in 30 seconds and removed from your regular hunting rifle to be stored in its very nice padded storage case.

The cons are --->>> The price although I have bought 2 and would again --->>> The cold issue (Which does not affect mine now) --->>> Last but not least nobody will like you anymore lol (Just Kidding )

ATB Silent Sentinel
    The Ghost Maker

PS Wish me luck with this fleabay fella as soon as I can I will be posting footage in use!!!
    Last edited by Silent sentinel; 14-06-2010 at 05:53 PM.

Good luck with your fleabay problem, and I am glad you like your torch
    Premiere shooting holidays http://www.boundary-farm.com/

If you read your earlier posts again, they do read as though your plugging it.

Sorry but there it is. You were asked the question if you had an interest which you answered so fair play.

If this prooves to be the best thing since blair and brown got kicked out then great.

It seems expensive but proof of the pudding is in the eating.

I tried to have a look at one - seemed built ok and the pinpoint was visible in daylight but I still have personal reservations.

Now Mr Welham is a well respected figure in the shooting community so maybe a word from the man may aid your cause.

But the biggest fly is this failure to operate in sub temps. I am not sure I consider it worthwhile if one has to go to the trouble of getting a neoprene jacket made :-).

I do a lot of vehicle mounted pest control so the rifle is hanging out and any thoughts os warming neoprene are focused in my direction - not a lasers. I still reckon heated seats are the muts in this scenario. Even with neo, I would not be confident that the unit would suddenly stop and typically when you actually need it to work.

Anyway, I am sure time will tell when others post saying how wonderful this peice of kit is and how did we ever manage without it etc....

Personally, I am happy for others to do the testing. It is a lot of money to spend to be someone elses R&D dept.

Your happy which is what counts.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

ND-3 & now ND-3 x 50 Yes I bought another one!

Wishing I had not bothered to comment again !

yeah its a tough life
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post

I use torches driven with cr123a's and rechargable Lithions without any problem whatsover so why does it become so critical in a laser ?

These are LEDS and I have never had a problem ?

Is it the battery or part of the laser I wonder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent sentinel View Post
    OK the battery problem sucks I agree but batteries do suffer in low temps
    The batteries are probably NOT the problem.

As I posted before, Green lasers tend not to work well in cold temps. This is caused by the crystals in the module becoming miss aligned due to the expansion and shrinking of the materials used. This is quite common in most, if not all green lasers.

digitaldwarf is offline A big boy did it and he ran away!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent sentinel View Post
    Wishing I had not bothered to comment again !
    i for one am glad you did